Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Stuart Leary - Thoughts and Memories

13»

Comments

• Options
    After coming over by boat with Eddie Firmani as 17 year olds they both got a big surprise when they were called up for National Service at 18.They both ended up in the RAF. 
  • Options
    my dads all time favourite player and my brother is named after him - good enough for me
  • Options
    Tremendously gifted player, he would have suited the modern game so well.
  • Options
    Timely to reminisce about Leary. Current team stylishly work the ball out of defence into a seeming wasteland. Half way line and edge of opponents box was Leary territory - he begged, cajoled,and demanded the ball throughout the game, and mostly he got his way. His peers early on dubbed him the 'Master' - an outdated expression now but nevertheless the ultimate accolade. Leary, was an elegant industrious player somewhat upright in stance but with a gifted first touch, and a remarkable vision for what should follow his possession. Whilst Leary remains one of the top goalscorers for the club the rich memories of those who saw a lot of him in action will focus around the quality of his passing.....always on the ground -long raking through balls into spaces that did not seem to exist. Much has been said about his symbiotic working relationship with Johhny S - it was a pairing that not only caught the eye, but contained threat and excitement. So.... Leary would control games - very memorable occasions early 60's....CAFC bottom - Luton top with the addicks coming away from the old Kenilworth Road 5-2 winners, and 3rd Round FA Cup at White Hart Lane the addicks losing to the Spurs great double team 3-2, but with a 2nd half performance that brought the house down. In both of these matches Leary was described widely as being both unplayable, and being in the moment the outstanding player in the Country Cricket not football was Leary's first passion....he scored 4 to 5 centuries per season over a long career, and occasionally bagged 5 wickets with a sort of leg spin. It was in the field however that Leary excelled. You would consider yourself fortunate to miss any of those hundreds for unlike football where he had style and panache once firmly established at the crease he became a pusher and a scraper. For those of us who got more than a glimpse of the Leary style our football watching would have been shaped forever - it is not called the beautiful game for nothing, and we should grateful for the experience.
    Terrific stuff 👍
  • Options
    Hear hear.  What a great post.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    I first started going to Charlton around February 1962, so saw the last few months of Stuart Leary and Sam Lawrie.

I remember Leary did not enthuse me, which just shows my lack of footy knowledge at the time.
    Do remember my favourites that first season were Mike Bailey, Roy Matthews and the antics of long John Hewie.

Sadly you never saw Stuart, in he's younger days, I think the best player I ever saw for Charlton, Mike Bailey was some player as well, but typical Charlton sold him.
    And your namesake, still remember 7-6 game
    Me too, back when football was played in the mud.
  • Options
    Lots of great posts from some members whose names I don’t recall seeing before. A tremendous history lesson.