Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Boardwalk Empire Season 5 (spoilers)

edited October 2014 in Not Sports Related
Anyone else up to date on this? Absolutely gutted about the deaths in the latest episode - my favourite characters!

Seems to be wrapping up in the same way the sopranos was - penultimate episode starting with the families at war with each other.

Comments

• Options
    Havent seen the episode but know who dies (stupid internet spoilers!).

Think this is another show that has lost it's way a bit. They had such a rich era of history and real life characters to choose from it could have been a bonafide classic. I just dont think they have made the most of it. Season 4 was pretty poor and this one has been a bit 'meh' so far. Does anyone really care about Gillian's character anymore?
  • Options
    haven't seen saturday's just gone (i think).....they have to kill people off though really, about the only way they can cut it off i guess.

the last episode i saw was with Chalky going into that whore house and seeing that girl from the last series, so the one just gone should be good if there are a couple of kills
  • Options
    Just caught up last night and agree withThe Sopranos comparison over the final season. Gutted over last night's killings.
  • Options

Havent seen the episode but know who dies (stupid internet spoilers!).

Think this is another show that has lost it's way a bit. They had such a rich era of history and real life characters to choose from it could have been a bonafide classic. I just dont think they have made the most of it. Season 4 was pretty poor and this one has been a bit 'meh' so far. Does anyone really care about Gillian's character anymore?

personally thought season 4 was a brilliant season, definitely the best of boardwalk empire. Gillian's comeuppance in the final episode was brilliantly written. But i agree, her storyline now is boring.

I dont like the flashbacks this season, they seem more filler than anything and I'm hoping they'll have some relevance to the ending. I think skipping a few years was a mistake and cutting out rothstein's assassination wasn't a good move as he was another great character that's suddenly disappeared. Last couple of episodes have been good, but there's more filler than killer this season imo.
  • Options
    I remember really looking forward to Series 2, thinking that the corruption in the Warren Harding admin was going to be weaved in; quite possibly as an unseen force of exuberance then the innevitable corruption crash.

But there was absolutely no mention of the Teapot Scandal, or other major pork politics. Still really enjoyed the second series, but by avoiding national corruption for individual's corruption, you just got the same repeating storyline as the Soprano's - individual power struggles.
  • Options
    I assume the skipping of time allowed them to line up with where Capone was, Elliot Ness and co, and Nukky's move into legitimacy with alcohol. I guess that came at the cost of Rothstein, and it was a huge cost imo.

Not a huge fan of the flashbacks, would've been fine for one episode but ongoing is a little tiresome. Seems unnecessary to learn more about a character we'll soon be saying goodbye to. It's not like we didn't have any idea where he came from

Still, it's so much better than 95% of other shows currently on air I'm sorry to see it end. As mentioned above it could've been even more of a classic, but I'll take it as is! Season four was brilliant too.
  • Options
    Love this show and caught up with it last night...absolutely gutted with the deaths...two favourite characters.... I don't mind the flashbacks, I like the back story and think it explains a lot about Nucky we didn't know before and how he has evolved as an individual... Gutted it is ending, so will just have to watch it all again....
  • Options
    I don't mind the flashbacks but don't see why they couldn't have been done in previous series. Seems a bit pointless now.
  • Options
    Gutted about van alden and chalky 2 of the best characters especially van alden can't understand why they killed them off so soon, also disappointing how they didn't show Arnold rothsteins death. Been a slow and poor season so far IMO. Season 2 and 3 were great.
  • Options
    yeah, was really shocked, kinda wondered how long they would last as assumed a few loose ends will be tied up by the end of the series. at the end of the ep when he was standing in that alley. I spoilt the tension by saying 'ohhhh I like him'. Although I also did that when Owen Sleater turned up in a box!

spent the next hour reading about the young actor (English lad from Hull) who played the older of the 2 younger Nucky's (uncanny resemblance!) and Enoch Johnson (who Nucky Thompson is based on) and Al Capone.

Love it. can't wait till next week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone catch the final episode? Who saw the twist coming?
  • Options

I really didn't which made it brilliant. Excellent final episode.
  • Options

What a great finale. All loose ends tied up as well, which doesn't happen as often as you think with big TV series like this.

As for the twist, I twigged when I thought to myself "that kid looks like Darmaty / Michael Pitt."
  • Options
    Ah man, finally watched the last two episodes this week. I'm absolutely gutted it's ended, it's been the only thing I've watched that has come anywhere near to gripping me like the Sopranos did throughout and 24 did for the first few series.

Love the era, the music, the attire, the smoke-filled bars etc.

Though gutted it has ended, I think they ended it in such a great way, so much better than Sopranos did. The backstory that had been building through the series I thought worked brilliantly, and some of the castings for the younger Nuk, Eli and Gillian sensational.

Farewell Boardwalk, thanks for the memories.
  • Options
    Young Nucky was so spot on. Eerily similar