Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why do we go to Charlton?

Now, I'll admit this may be a strange title for a thread - but hear me out.

A bit of context: There's one bloke who sits somewhere in L block in the North Upper, possibly row OO/PP, who would appear to go to games on his own. No problem with that; most of us have done that at some point I'm sure. But this one particular guy shouts absolute bollocks for the entirety of a match - to no-one in particular - which admittedly some people do, but his behaviour has become more strange as the weeks have worn on. Yesterday he was literally screaming at Peters about Cousins, shouting "get him off" at least four times in a row. The squeal was so embarrassingly high-pitched and unprompted that several people looked round in sheer disbelief. We were 2-0 up at the time as well!

There were any other questionable shouts throughout the match, and it just got me thinking: why is he here? We were winning, he wasn't happy. He was on his own, so it can't have been the social aspect that football can bring. He turned up angry, and went home angrier having seen a victory. Alright, it wasn't pretty at times, but we still got the job done.

Personally I think if I got that irate at members of our own team and derogatorily referred to our playing style/the manager every 30 seconds, I would imagine I'd stop going immediately. But this guy turns up every week, seems to unravel at the first misplaced pass and doesn't seem content unless one of the (many) targets of his abuse are substituted. Utterly strange. But he's there every week.

He can't be the only one, but I cannot for the life of me understand why someone who gets so worked up at (often infrequent) victories and mediocre performances would a) support Charlton at all or b) turn up!

Does anyone else have similar experiences?

Comments

• Options
    People revel in misery. To some it's like a drug, you should come to my work sometime.
  • Options

Now, I'll admit this may be a strange title for a thread - but hear me out.

A bit of context: There's one bloke who sits somewhere in L block in the North Upper, possibly row OO/PP, who would appear to go to games on his own. No problem with that; most of us have done that at some point I'm sure. But this one particular guy shouts absolute bollocks for the entirety of a match - to no-one in particular - which admittedly some people do, but his behaviour has become more strange as the weeks have worn on. Yesterday he was literally screaming at Peters about Cousins, shouting "get him off" at least four times in a row. The squeal was so embarrassingly high-pitched and unprompted that several people looked round in sheer disbelief. We were 2-0 up at the time as well!

There were any other questionable shouts throughout the match, and it just got me thinking: why is he here? We were winning, he wasn't happy. He was on his own, so it can't have been the social aspect that football can bring. He turned up angry, and went home angrier having seen a victory. Alright, it wasn't pretty at times, but we still got the job done.

Personally I think if I got that irate at members of our own team and derogatorily referred to our playing style/the manager every 30 seconds, I would imagine I'd stop going immediately. But this guy turns up every week, seems to unravel at the first misplaced pass and doesn't seem content unless one of the (many) targets of his abuse are substituted. Utterly strange. But he's there every week.

He can't be the only one, but I cannot for the life of me understand why someone who gets so worked up at (often infrequent) victories and mediocre performances would a) support Charlton at all or b) turn up!

Does anyone else have similar experiences?

I had the same problem where I use to sit. In the end I had to move to the other side of the ground from NorthStandSteve.
  • Options
    I go so that I can sit in the West Stand surrounded by the likes of the two below.

• Options
    I thought it was you who kept turning around, eyeballing me
  • Options
    Think that sometimes there's so much negativity where I sit in the middle of the East Stand. One bloke behind me just shouts nonsense the whole game.
  • Options
    To moan
  • Options
    I often go to places on my own and shout random things at no one in particular. No one ever says anything to me though. In fact they either walk the other way, or just hurry on by.
  • Options
    It sounds like me.
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong, I can think of more than a few occasions in my time at Charlton when I've let rip. To me, having seen the worst it's been supporting them in my lifetime from 2007-2011, surely people recognise we're moving in a positive direction. Goes back to a lot of the posts in the Bolton thread.

Some people just love a moan. I reckon you befriend him, find out where he works then suddenly just turn up one day, going ballistic that he's used the 'times new roman' font when he should've been using 'calibri' or something on a word doc.

Or just get right up in his face and shout 'use the mouse with your left hand FFS'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've been going where?
  • Options

I often go to places on my own and shout random things at no one in particular. No one ever says anything to me though. In fact they either walk the other way, or just hurry on by.

Outside kings cross station?
  • Options

There's one bloke who sits somewhere in L block in the North Upper, possibly row OO/PP, who would appear to go to games on his own. No problem with that; most of us have done that at some point I'm sure. But this one particular guy shouts absolute bollocks for the entirety of a match - to no-one in particular - which admittedly some people do, but his behaviour has become more strange as the weeks have worn on. Yesterday he was literally screaming at Peters about Cousins, shouting "get him off" at least four times in a row. The squeal was so embarrassingly high-pitched and unprompted that several people looked round in sheer disbelief.

Joe Pasquale has got to let steam off somehow...

...`GET HIM OFF, GET HIM OFF....OOO ME JACOBS!'

• Options
    Enduring Doncaster away last year, with about 20 minutes left one fellow fan gave up on berating every player we had and decided to sarcastically applaud everything we did. His favourite was Ben Alnwick taking goal kicks that just ran through to the opposition defenders.

It was quite entertaining.
  • Options
    I know the guy you mean, he cracks me up every game.

I must admit I'm over critical of the players sometimes and cousins was doing my fucking head in on Tuesday, but I rational it by Turing up week in and week out and singing my throat out :)

I think if you spend a few grand a season watching a team home and away it kinda gives you the right to moan when the effort isn't there. To be honest they don't hear the singing from the north upper, never mind the abuse :)

There is a guy who sits at the very front of the north upper he is really loud and gives a lot of abuse he cracks me up also :)

I just see it all as part of the banter of football. When I sit in the east or west stand I just don't feel like I'm at football. Have to be making noise me :) as most that met me in Belgum know :)
  • Options
    The guy at the front of the north upper is absolutely hilarious!

He seems to have quietened down over the years but he used to, once a game, go on a huge rant for about 5 minutes that used to echo around the covered end, it was brilliant.
  • Options

I don't have any friends and only go to Charlton so that I can continue to post on here. You are all my only real friends.

I got flagged for this. My first :0)

• Options
    We say the same thing about a man in the North Lower about 8 rows from the front, moans all game, even when we play well.
  • Options
    C4FC4L1f3 said:

I think if you spend a few grand a season watching a team home and away it kinda gives you the right to moan when the effort isn't there. To be honest they don't hear the singing from the north upper, never mind the abuse

My issue with this is that how do you judge when 'the effort is not there'. I sometimes feel that some fans are not happy unless players are running around like headless chickens, showing what they believe to be 'passion'.

Just because people pay a lot of money to go and watch football, play down the park with their mates, or are decent at FIFA/Football Manager it does not mean they are clued up on the tactics and positoning of a high level professional game.

Now if Wiggins has misplaced his third simple pass in a row, or Henderson has booted the ball of the pitch again, I can fully understand why that might frustrate someone.
  • Options
    C4FC4L1f3 said:

I know the guy you mean, he cracks me up every game.

I must admit I'm over critical of the players sometimes and cousins was doing my fucking head in on Tuesday, but I rational it by Turing up week in and week out and singing my throat out :)

I think if you spend a few grand a season watching a team home and away it kinda gives you the right to moan when the effort isn't there. To be honest they don't hear the singing from the north upper, never mind the abuse :)

There is a guy who sits at the very front of the north upper he is really loud and gives a lot of abuse he cracks me up also :)

I just see it all as part of the banter of football. When I sit in the east or west stand I just don't feel like I'm at football. Have to be making noise me :) as most that met me in Belgum know :)

Welcome to Charlton Life Roland!

• Sponsored links:

• Options

C4FC4L1f3 said:

I think if you spend a few grand a season watching a team home and away it kinda gives you the right to moan when the effort isn't there. To be honest they don't hear the singing from the north upper, never mind the abuse

My issue with this is that how do you judge when 'the effort is not there'. I sometimes feel that some fans are not happy unless players are running around like headless chickens, showing what they believe to be 'passion'.
    This.

People who ask for running like headless chickens are the same people who would then moan about Simon Church, you can't win.

If you compare us from 2009 to now and still moan, then you will never be happy and to be honest you should be as we are competing and looking dangerous.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    It's my religion. crazy i know, but you have to believe in somethink.

When working as a salesman for several years, had to constantly swap saturdays so not to miss too many games.

For others it's sounds like the drinking is the main thing.

A group of 20 to 22 years olds were on my train to bournmouth (pokesdown)
    and one guy said he loved going to away games best, for the piss up.
    but the worse part of the day was the 90 mins of the match!

How sad is that ?

After that game i knew what he meant !

I should have stayed in the witherspoons longer.

• Options
    How I miss Dennis and his rants at away games the best
  • Options
    I love the bloke in front row of upper north who after 15mins of every game gets up pushes past every with his rucksack and just disappears!
    Gets so much abuse on the way I don't know why he bothers?
  • Options
    I like red and swords and football...

Charlton are made for me.
  • Options
    I reckon you get these "fans" everywhere.

They might not make much sense to most people.

Can probably just assume its an alternative way of expressing yourself when your not getting any...

• Options

We say the same thing about a man in the North Lower about 8 rows from the front, moans all game, even when we play well.

Lol i sat near him v Birmingham , old guy yea? i was getting quite cross about him to my girlfriend who also wanted to tell him to go home if he didnt like watching us
  • Options

It's my religion. crazy i know, but you have to believe in somethink.

When working as a salesman for several years, had to constantly swap saturdays so not to miss too many games.

For others it's sounds like the drinking is the main thing.

A group of 20 to 22 years olds were on my train to bournmouth (pokesdown)
    and one guy said he loved going to away games best, for the piss up.
    but the worse part of the day was the 90 mins of the match!

How sad is that ?

After that game i knew what he meant !

I should have stayed in the witherspoons longer.

To be fair it was at Bournemouth.
  • Options
    wanting to smash someone in the face makes you the one with mental issues