Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Harry Roberts

2»

Comments

• Options
    We sang it loads late eighties/early nineties! Well, maybe not loads, but at away grounds it wasn't a rare occurence.
  • Options
    The death penalty was for cases like this,
    a cold blooded killer of two people. who had never shown any remorse.
    100% he did it. No ambiguity.
    It should be a privilege to breath nature's air.
    Animals are culled, why should a human who takes a life in those circumstances, be kept alive.
    I know being an atheist makes it easier for me to see people for what they are.
    none of this repenting rubbish.
    He will walk free, But then, he's always been free because he has never felt any guilt going by what he said
    in the 90's about the 2 policeman being strangers to him.

• Options
    The annoying thing is that when he's released the media will be clamouring for an interview, why not just ignore him.

No doubt the usual shit will emerge, poor family, neglected by parents blah blah blah.
  • Options
    People forget what he done to that pensioner before he killed the police too. The man is utter scum.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Would say every club in the country has had fans who have sung it at some point cafcfan. But if it makes you feel better just say it was a Millwall song. NOLU WDC

Just to put the record straight, I was at the 0-0 Millwall v Charlton game on 27/8/66 when the murderer Roberts was still on the run and your lot started the infamous chant singing his praises for killing policemen. My eye witness account is that trouble had kicked off between both sets of fans and as the police waded in to break it up, your mob turned its attentions to the police and got a bit of a pasting from them as feelings were naturally running high. So like it or not 'you' instigated the song no matter who adopted it thereafter.

Back to the present they should have thrown away the key.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

People forget what he done to that pensioner before he killed the police too. The man is utter scum.

Thats my issue with all this - people forget or don't know about this. I didn't know about it and from what little I can find on it sounds like an equal or worse crime, for which he only got 7 years. But it doesn't get mentioned because in the eyes of the police and the media he only really crossed the line to "heinous" when he became Harry Roberts the cop killer.
  • Options

People forget what he done to that pensioner before he killed the police too. The man is utter Millwall scum.

• Options

Thats my issue with all this - people forget or don't know about this. I didn't know about it and from what little I can find on it sounds like an equal or worse crime, for which he only got 7 years. But it doesn't get mentioned because in the eyes of the police and the media he only really crossed the line to "heinous" when he became Harry Roberts the cop killer.
    The old boy died from his injuries 102 days after the attack. If it was the day before Roberts would have been tried for his murder, because 101 days was the legal cut off point at that time. And Roberts would've hung because the death penalty was still in place then. Shame.
  • Options

Big inconsistency in this man serving 48 years and yet other murderers might do eight. Age 78 I think he should be released.

Murder would mean you are subject to a Mandatory Life Sentence meaning the judge can only set tariff at a minimum of 10 years before a panel of the parole board can direct his/her release on a life licence.
  • Options
    Out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yep, training with Sheff Utd, I heard.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

I suppose the Wall will be bringing out a new one-off commemorative kit? "Harry Roberts is our friend..." is one of theirs isn't it?

Remember Charlton singing that 'back in the day'.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    The " song" - I have to say that although it probably did get sung at The Valley from time to time I always thought of it as one of Millwall's repertoire. I also remember it as "Harry Roberts is our king ...."

For the record, much more regularly heard in The Covered End were
    "We sing it before and we sing it again - all coppers are CONT-stables"
    and
    "Sergeant Stibbards is a big fat c**t, doo-dah, doo-dah
    Sergeant Stibbards is a big fat c**t, doo-dah, doo-dah, dey
    On the beat all day, on his wife all night
    Sergeant Stibbards is a big fat c**t, doo-dah, doo-dah, dey
    and
    "We'll sing you a song and it won't take long, all coppers are bastards"
  • Options
    Feckin hell Sergeant Stibbards! He was a big fat c"*t as well
  • Options