Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dads Army

Just seen a photo on the BBC website of the characters from the new Dads Army Film,with all due respect to the Actors they will never beat the original cast.I know is a age issue but for people of a certain vintage you cant beat the BBC series.As two of the original cast are still with us,(Frank Williams,Ian Lavender) why did they not recast them.

Comments

• Perhaps they did get offered cameos and turned them down, who knows? Even Lavender is 68 years old now!

• Think they've cast it brilliantly.
  • Think they've cast it brilliantly.

Likewise.

I tend to wait until I have actually seen things before making a judgement.
  • Me - too. The casting looks brilliant and I really can't wait for it.

Bit difficult getting Frank Williams in on the act as he's 83.
  • Derek1952 said:

Just seen a photo on the BBC website of the characters from the new Dads Army Film,with all due respect to the Actors they will never beat the original cast.I know is a age issue but for people of a certain vintage you cant beat the BBC series.As two of the original cast are still with us,(Frank Williams,Ian Lavender) why did they not recast them.

I very much doubt that the objective is to "beat" the TV series, but understand your point!

• edited October 2014
    I am a huge fan of the series and have watched them all more than once.. I think you have to take the film as something entirely separate rather than a spin off.. If you start comparing the two or expect it to be the same as the series it will be a disappointment! However on its own it might be quite good! It will be strange to hear the catch phrases coming from someone different..
  • Have they said yet whether Warden Hodges will be in it? Love the dynamic between him and Mainwaring.
  • As I said before..why have they done a remake?
    It's like singers covering famous songs, pointless!
    Go and write/create something new FFS.
  • Good cast but you have to ask Why? There is no need for a Dad's Army remake. What next , an Only Fools and Horses remake?
  • Sponsored links:

• Greenie said:

As I said before..why have they done a remake?

They are, it's a new script.
  • Good cast but you have to ask Why? There is no need for a Dad's Army remake. What next , an Only Fools and Horses remake?

It's not. It's a new cast playing familiar characters. There is a difference.
  • Greenie said:

*Shakes head in disbelief*
  • You could say the same about James Bond films I suppose, the same characters doing the same sorts of things. It might be rubbish and it probably won't have the warm glow that comes with watching the TV shows. The main hope is that most of the cast don't need to be appearing in lousy projects just for the money, which in any case probably isn't that great.
  • Fancy you writing them off before you see the film. I am looking forward to seeing it, we all know the characters so well that there will probably be mixed opinions. My advice.....don't give them your name Derek.
  • Greenie said:

Greenie said:

So it's not a new script then Greenie? Which episode are they recreating?
  • Granpa said:

Fancy you writing them off before you see the film. I am looking forward to seeing it, we all know the characters so well that there will probably be mixed opinions. My advice.....don't give them your name Derek.

Some people had already made their mind up when the before it was even cast Grandpa...
  • Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Its the characters that sold the show, and the actors who played them, surely anyone can see that, not just the scripts.
    Same goes for Only Fools and Horses. Imagine someone else playing Delboy. No? Thought not!

David Croft and Jimmy Perry created the characters, based on some of the people they new from the War/national service, they then cast the original actors (most had been in the war) and it was a massive success because of all the component parts.
    The trouble is so many people embrace mediocrity and are easily pleased. If we are feed regurgitated music/films, then that is an easy win for the industries and that is what we will get.

Its like the band Queen who now have Paul Rogers as the singer, it may say Queen but we all know without Freddy it aint Queen.

We should demand new shows with new characters that can pass into history as DA and OFAH have.
  • I wasn't keen on Timothy Dalton.
  • Just checked out the cast and its difficult to think they could have done any better. Will be impossible to recreate that chemistry but if they can capture the spirit then I think it will be worth seeing. Looking forward to it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Its the characters that sold the show, and the actors who played them, surely anyone can see that, not just the scripts.
    Same goes for Only Fools and Horses. Imagine someone else playing Delboy. No? Thought not!

David Croft and Jimmy Perry created the characters, based on some of the people they new from the War/national service, they then cast the original actors (most had been in the war) and it was a massive success because of all the component parts.
    The trouble is so many people embrace mediocrity and are easily pleased. If we are feed regurgitated music/films, then that is an easy win for the industries and that is what we will get.

Its like the band Queen who now have Paul Rogers as the singer, it may say Queen but we all know without Freddy it aint Queen.

We should demand new shows with new characters that can pass into history as DA and OFAH have.
    Quite right, and the characters are the same in the film. I think that people should keep an open mind, and judge things on the reality of the situation, rather than their prejudices.

I shall take it for what it is, judge it as a stand alone piece of work and make a decision based on that.

Ask Marillion fans about lead singers...

Bottom line is, I shall watch it, you wont. Don't mean a hill o beans in the real world.
  • Paul Rodgers is an infinitely better singer than the other bloke as shown by his work in Free and Bad Company.
  • nostalgia .. it aint what it used to be ((:>)
  • With long running shows, it usually takes several episodes, if not one or two series, for things to bed down, for characters to become established, and actors to know how to play them. With a one off film, they have to hit the ground running immediately, which is extremely hard.
  • Paul Rodgers is an infinitely better singer than the other bloke as shown by his work in Free and Bad Company.

Totally agree Henners.

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Quite right, and the characters are the same in the film. I think that people should keep an open mind, and judge things on the reality of the situation, rather than their prejudices.

I shall take it for what it is, judge it as a stand alone piece of work and make a decision based on that.

Bottom line is, I shall watch it, you wont. Don't mean a hill o beans in the real world.
    No prejudice from me, I just refuse to be bought by mediocrity and the rehash of a classic.

Sorry never met a Marillion fan.
  • edited October 2014
    Greenie said:

Paul Rodgers is an infinitely better singer than the other bloke as shown by his work in Free and Bad Company.

Totally agree Henners.

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

No prejudice from me, I just refuse to be bought by mediocrity and the rehash of a classic.

Like I said, I will watch it and you won't.

Now about them bloody Snickers bars...
  • I'm really not sure about this, the only fools spin offs were Aweful
  • edited October 2014

But Greenie,

How do you know if will be mediocre or a rehash?

Probably in a minority of one, but I always thought it was an overated comedy in the first place.
  • MrOneLung said:

But Greenie,

How do you know if will be mediocre or a rehash?

Probably in a minority of one, but I always thought it was an overated comedy in the first place.

Fair point, I think it will be rubbish because:- the actors who played the characters are iconic. I have never seen a remake of a film or TV show that is recognised as better than the original.