Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Senzo Meyiwa RIP

South African and Orlando pirates captain shot dead at his home in South Africa. Only played for his club yesterday.RIP

Comments

• It's so tragic and being a Saffa we have lost one of our best upcoming players and leaders. What's even worse is that it was over a bloody cellphone. It's this and the oscar trial that are painting such a horrible picture of South Africa and I just wish this slide it seems to be on can just stop. It is such an amazing country thats reputation gets tainted by these sort of things. Senzo was making his breakthrough and it's horrible to have lost such a hopeful and promising person. Hopefully this means SA will start to wake up. RIP Senzo
  • Such a pointless death. Rip Senzo
  • Very sad to hear RIP Senzo
  • Can't believe this isn't bigger news, you're talking the current captain of the national football team
  • Shows things ain't changed in sth Africa,
  • Tragic. RIP young man.
  • First thing I heard on R5L this morning was Mark Fish talking about this, RIP.
  • Sponsored links:

• WestSA said:

It's so tragic and being a Saffa we have lost one of our best upcoming players and leaders. What's even worse is that it was over a bloody cellphone. It's this and the oscar trial that are painting such a horrible picture of South Africa and I just wish this slide it seems to be on can just stop. It is such an amazing country thats reputation gets tainted by these sort of things. Senzo was making his breakthrough and it's horrible to have lost such a hopeful and promising person. Hopefully this means SA will start to wake up. RIP Senzo

I've family in SA and agree, an amazing country, just wish they could sort out all the other problems out there.
  • You couldn't get me to live in SA for love nor money.

Tragic, so sad, and something that happens all too often in South Africa, but we only hear about it when it happens to someone rich... Makes you realise why OP's defence was so plausible out there...

RIP.
  • RIP, such a shame.

There is a picture going around from his twitter account of him holding up the shirt of Casillas, he got it after a match around a year ago, saying dreams can come true.

All been taken away from him, very sad.
  • Huskaris said:

You couldn't get me to live in SA for love nor money.

Tragic, so sad, and something that happens all too often in South Africa, but we only hear about it when it happens to someone rich... Makes you realise why OP's defence was so plausible out there...

RIP.

Have you been there ?
  • Huskaris said:

RIP.

Have you been there ?
    Agree, Although stuff like this happens I have lived in South Africa for most of my life (20 Years) and I have personally never had a life threatening or even just a bad incident while living there and I'm not living in a protected estate with 24 hour security. Of course crime is bad but people really tend to look at the negatives. I worked in the UK last year at a school and the amount of parents that said they don't want to visit South Africa cause of safety is crazy when they consider going to places like Thailand or Egypt. South Africa, just like England and the rest of the world, has dodgy places that you don't go to. As long as you think a little about where you go in South Africa it's an amazing place. To be honest it can happen to anyone and it's horrible that Senzo, let alone anyone, had to be the victim.
  • South Africa is well worth a visit. But personally I wouldn't go to Jo'burg i'd Stick to Cape Town and the south.

Condolences to the family and friends of the victim and indeed the nation of SA.
  • WestSA said:

Huskaris said:

RIP.

Have you been there ?
    Agree, Although stuff like this happens I have lived in South Africa for most of my life (20 Years) and I have personally never had a life threatening or even just a bad incident while living there and I'm not living in a protected estate with 24 hour security. Of course crime is bad but people really tend to look at the negatives. I worked in the UK last year at a school and the amount of parents that said they don't want to visit South Africa cause of safety is crazy when they consider going to places like Thailand or Egypt. South Africa, just like England and the rest of the world, has dodgy places that you don't go to. As long as you think a little about where you go in South Africa it's an amazing place. To be honest it can happen to anyone and it's horrible that Senzo, let alone anyone, had to be the victim.
    Yip. I live in South Africa and I've been to both Thailand and Egypt on holiday. I would say that South Africa has the worst places (but you obviously just mustn't go to these places), however Egypt was by far less safe in general. Strangely I felt quite safe in Bangkok, however on the Thai islands I felt somewhat vulnerable to pickpockets etc.
  • WestSA said:

Huskaris said:

RIP.

Have you been there ?
    After having lived there for some years (although back in UK now, purely for work reasons), i would concur with this comment. I can sincerely and honestly say that i feel safer walking around Cape Town than i do around London - ok, there are some places you dont go at night time - but thats the same in any city on the planet.
    SA is a beautiful country , well worth visiting, and i tell you what, if you did go, you would change your glib comment (previous poster). It has its troubles, but so does every country. It just seems because its SA that they are multiplied in the media.
    When i hang up my boots (so to speak), the place i will go will be SA to retire - it has so much space and blue sky and energy and people who,believe it or not, are very friendly- oh, and nice wine and beaches!
    As mentioned, it has its problems, but they are not as big or unsurmountable as the UK media might lead you to believe.
    If you have a chance, go there ! - you will absolutely not be disappointed.