Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Woolwich Equitable

Antic opens its latest venture this coming Thursday in General Gordon Square in the old Equitable building. Its going to be interesting to see how this one goes.

http://woolwichpub.com/

Comments

• Options
    Very excited by this. Love their pubs. Always interesting buildings and excellent ale. I really hope it works for them.
  • Options
    I shall look forward to the Deserter's write up!

Its going to have some downsides to it... imagine popping out for a smoke. Enough to make one give up i guess.
    But am glad I'm finally gonig to see the inside of it, been a long wait.

• Options
    Also like the Antic pubs.

Within the last few months they've opened one just up the road from me. Nicely done but think it might just be a bit too big to succeed. Hope they carry on though, excellent beers.
  • Options
    I work in Woolwich and was planning to check this out when its opened; now I know its an Antic pub I will defo put it into my diary. The one they have in Catford 'the Constitunal Club' has a great athmosphere
  • Options
    We'll definitely be visiting. Have been planning to cover Woolwich for a while.

I guess Antic know what they're getting into. They've got a place on Deptford High Street too.

You thinking the square might be a bit too sketchy for their punters?
  • Options
    Which Premier League owner has an interest in the Equitable building in Woolwich?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Well if popping out for a smoke id leave any smokes and loose change with a pal so when someone asks for either you can turn out your empty pockets.

Been looking for somewhere for a decent roast nearby. I do like the dial arch but we end up spending a fortune every time we go in. Plus the service can be a bit shit at busy times. There's nowhere else I would go in Woolwich. I Stick to the locals up on Plum common/Shooters Hill.
  • Options
    Used to work in the Equitable 2005-06, was a very strange building, the Woolwich branch was a very small part and walking to put money in the ATM was great as you could see all the old offices for when it was the Head Office.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Well if popping out for a smoke id leave any smokes and loose change with a pal so when someone asks for either you can turn out your empty pockets.

Been looking for somewhere for a decent roast nearby. I do like the dial arch but we end up spending a fortune every time we go in. Plus the service can be a bit shit at busy times. There's nowhere else I would go in Woolwich. I Stick to the locals up on Plum common/Shooters Hill.

That's much the same as The Job Centre pub Deptford, though there is a smoking area at the back, so you have a choice. I'm sure they'll do a good roast, once they've got the kitchen up and running. Don't know if it'll be ready for opening.

We tend to do our 'Deserting' during working hours, which means even the roughest dives are available to us. But I'm looking forward to the Equitable, Dial Arch and the Hop Stuff Brewery. Hopefully we'll be capable of organising a pish up in the latter.
  • Options

Used to work in the Equitable 2005-06, was a very strange building, the Woolwich branch was a very small part and walking to put money in the ATM was great as you could see all the old offices for when it was the Head Office.

I used to work there for the Woolwich Equitable back around 1972-74 when it was Head Office.

Remember it well as it was back then.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone know if this is an alternative to the one they refused planning for on Powis Street, or are they still trying to get that one as well? Both The Equitable and The Volunteer are shown on the Antic website under "coming soon".

(Story here if you're interested - http://fromthemurkydepths.wordpress.com/2014/05/06/new-pub-blocked-from-opening-in-woolwich-due-to-saturation-policy/)
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I used to work there for the Woolwich Equitable back around 1972-74 when it was Head Office.

Remember it well as it was back then.

Wish i'd taken pictures, it was quite eerie as the offices were still in tact but completely derelict. People's pens etc were still on desks.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Anyone know if this is an alternative to the one they refused planning for on Powis Street, or are they still trying to get that one as well? Both The Equitable and The Volunteer are shown on the Antic website under "coming soon".

(Story here if you're interested - http://fromthemurkydepths.wordpress.com/2014/05/06/new-pub-blocked-from-opening-in-woolwich-due-to-saturation-policy/)

Pretty certain that this is as well, not instead. The Equitable had been in the offing for a good while.
  • Options
    Most lavish venue to date... in Woolwich??

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Curb_It said:

Most lavish venue to date... in Woolwich??

Sadly, not exactly much to compete against in Woolwich is there B?? ;-)

Walked past it earlier & they were putting some of the signs up. May pop in after work tomorrow.
  • Options
    Could be worth a visit after the Blackheath fireworks Saturday night.
  • Options
    Ha! Mr Palmer obviously hasn't been to the GPO in Eltham. This looks very plush and nothing like the other Antic pubs I have visited. Great company and so glad there are opening pubs rather than closing them.
  • Options
    Had a pint in there this evening around 6. Fairly busy but not a big pub. Some of the decor looked like it came out of a skip. Decent pint at a reasonable price but won't be rushing back there anytime soon.