Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ticket office to shut EVERY Wednesday & Thursday (latest update page 9)

Comments

• Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

... I haven't been to The Valley this season......

Was this an early protest at the whole early Thursday closing thing?
    :-)
    haha. perhaps!

I obviously could go and 'find' these tickets online, but am out of the CAFC habit and after the summer, I don't plan my weekends around charlton, although I do read the match thread or stream the match if I'm in or tune in on the radio if in the car etc etc, it only consumes an hour and a half of my saturday and not the whole day, so I need something to turn my head and make me think 'that's a bargain, maybe we should plan to go' the club haven't done anything to get me back into it.

My first football match this season is Benfica tomorrow night. maybe the live football tomorrow will make me want to go again and we'll get tickets to go in the next few weeks.
    The club have done something to get you back into it - unbeaten at home, new players, reduced season tickets, reduced match day prices, new pitch, decorated the ground, new catering options.

What more should they have done for you?
    I was hoping for half-time hookers, although that would probably receive complaints on here that we would have 'foreigners shipped over' instead of the local SE7 lovelies
  • Options
    PL54 said:

As a lapsed season ticket holder, I didn't know we did tickets for £15.... I haven't been to The Valley this season......

Try this:

Go to the CAFC website - http://www.cafc.co.uk/ - which is working even though it's Thursday afternoon

Click on Tickets - http://www.cafc.co.uk/tickets/

Buy tickets - http://shop.cafc.co.uk/ticketselect.ink

And then select the game you want - http://shop.cafc.co.uk/StandSelect.ink?matchid=65890&team=p

Alternatively pop along to the ticket sales booth or call them at any point during the 40 or so hours a week they are open

you miss my point completely, but thanks for the links above.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:

... I haven't been to The Valley this season......

Was this an early protest at the whole early Thursday closing thing?
    :-)
    haha. perhaps!

I obviously could go and 'find' these tickets online, but am out of the CAFC habit and after the summer, I don't plan my weekends around charlton, although I do read the match thread or stream the match if I'm in or tune in on the radio if in the car etc etc, it only consumes an hour and a half of my saturday and not the whole day, so I need something to turn my head and make me think 'that's a bargain, maybe we should plan to go' the club haven't done anything to get me back into it.

My first football match this season is Benfica tomorrow night. maybe the live football tomorrow will make me want to go again and we'll get tickets to go in the next few weeks.
    The club have done something to get you back into it - unbeaten at home, new players, reduced season tickets, reduced match day prices, new pitch, decorated the ground, new catering options.

What more should they have done for you?

All good points but Suzie didn't know about the £15 tickets, that is the point.

We can have the greatest product in the world but if people aren't aware, for whatever reason, then they aren't going to buy it.

We have to market what we have ie all the excellent things you mention. Do those lapsed fans or potential fans know things have changed or that prices are affordable? In this one case, clearly not.

Ok, the plural of anecdote is not data but it is a start.
  • Options

Yes I struggled to tap the screen twice to discover ticket prices for Saturdays game.

Do you not think there is a group of potential supporters who never get that far because their assumption is that football is unaffordable?
    No, I don't.
    Whenever I travel abroad I always go to local teams website to see the cheapest tickets. I've done this in dozens of countries. In Brazil football can be a bargain. In Barcelona the cheapest tickets were outside my budget. In Germany the games are often sold out.
    Same with basketball, dog racing World Cup rugby tickets, some of which turned out to be £15, and other sports I enjoy watching
    If the general public have false assumptions and can't be arsed to click on two links to find out maybe they should look for entertainment that is less challenging.
  • Options

PL54 said:

As a lapsed season ticket holder, I didn't know we did tickets for £15.... I haven't been to The Valley this season......

Try this:

Go to the CAFC website - http://www.cafc.co.uk/ - which is working even though it's Thursday afternoon

And then select the game you want - http://shop.cafc.co.uk/StandSelect.ink?matchid=65890&team=p

Alternatively pop along to the ticket sales booth or call them at any point during the 40 or so hours a week they are open

Did you want to go a game but thought it was too expensive ?

Had a gilt edged invite to buy a ticket for £15 appeared on your pillow, would you have bought a ticket ?
  • Options
    I've got a spare for saturday if you want it ?
  • Options
    PL54 said:

PL54 said:

Try this:

Did you want to go a game but thought it was too expensive ?

Had a gilt edged invite to buy a ticket for £15 appeared on your pillow, would you have bought a ticket ?
    no. I was happy to find out the result on the internet/soccer saturday. had I known it was £15 i might have gone.
  • Options
    Shag said:

I've got a spare for saturday if you want it ?

Ta, but I'm in Lisbon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Addickted said:

So, on average, how many tickets would the box office sell on a Thursday afternoon, before;

a) A Saturday home match
    b) A Saturday away match

Just roughly. 20? 50? 100?

Would depend totally on circumstances. For a cup game on the Saturday or a local away game or a big home match or during the season ticket sale periods it could be very busy or with no weekend fixture or during the summer you could sell nothing.

Football for a Fiver, clearly an exceptional event, you'd probably be looking at 500 sales.

However, when there's no ticket demand there's less likely to be significant admin either. So the case for being shut on these occasions is weaker than when there is high demand.
  • Options

Yes I struggled to tap the screen twice to discover ticket prices for Saturdays game.

Do you not think there is a group of potential supporters who never get that far because their assumption is that football is unaffordable?
    No, I don't.
    Whenever I travel abroad I always go to local teams website to see the cheapest tickets. I've done this in dozens of countries. In Brazil football can be a bargain. In Barcelona the cheapest tickets were outside my budget. In Germany the games are often sold out.
    Same with basketball, dog racing World Cup rugby tickets, some of which turned out to be £15, and other sports I enjoy watching
    If the general public have false assumptions and can't be arsed to click on two links to find out maybe they should look for entertainment that is less challenging.
    I'm very capable of finding out for myself what prices tickets are. I've done it for the game I'm going to tomorrow night. I had a season ticket for 12 years. Since 2011 we weren't enjoying it as much (both fans) and it was more of a expensive chore. We spent the next 2 seasons going to pretty much all the home games using spares of friends, or my dads, uncles, grandads etc. or buying just one £30 ticket to sit by my dad. This season so far, we havent asked around to see if anyone has a spare, my dad hasn't missed any home games, and £60 for both of us is a bit much for a 4 hour section of my saturday plus booze when we can watch it at home on a stream, or on radio. Yes, you may deem me 'no longer a fan' 'fickle' etc etc But I'm not the only one. How empty was the ground last week? There are thousands of us that are out of the habit and just need their heads turned to know that they could spend £15, catch up with their mates, see their team, enjoy it, and buy another ticket and go again....
    Not sure this new fangled marketing thing will catch on : - )
  • Options
    edited October 2014
  • Options
    I understand a new ticketing system is in the pipeline, so hope that will make a big difference. Perhaps lead to some more proactive marketing initiatives too...
  • Options

I understand a new ticketing system is in the pipeline, so hope that will make a big difference. Perhaps lead to some more proactive marketing initiatives too...

Is it, therefore, a possibility that Thursday afternoon is when testing will take place to trial the impact of a full switch over?
  • Options

Addickted said:

So, on average, how many tickets would the box office sell on a Thursday afternoon, before;

a) A Saturday home match
    b) A Saturday away match

Would depend totally on circumstances. For a cup game on the Saturday or a local away game or a big home match or during the season ticket sale periods it could be very busy or with no weekend fixture or during the summer you could sell nothing.

Football for a Fiver, clearly an exceptional event, you'd probably be looking at 500 sales.

However, when there's no ticket demand there's less likely to be significant admin either. So the case for being shut on these occasions is weaker than when there is high demand.
    Let's not look at the exceptional.

We're playing Sheff Weds on Saturday at home. ROUGHLY how many people would have turned up at the box office to get their ticket for this Saturdays game this Thursday afternoon?

I suspect there would be a few 'phone sales as well, but that would leave it a bit late to post out those tickets.

• Options
    Just waiting for the posts that say 'I went to the box office today and it was shut'.
  • Options
    "Thursday at 4pm is the only time I like to buy tickets, RD out!"
  • Options

Is it, therefore, a possibility that Thursday afternoon is when testing will take place to trial the impact of a full switch over?
    I have no idea, but if that is so, then I'd suggest it would make more sense just to say that, rather than refer to "admin duties"?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:

Addickted said:

a) A Saturday home match
    b) A Saturday away match

We're playing Sheff Weds on Saturday at home. ROUGHLY how many people would have turned up at the box office to get their ticket for this Saturdays game this Thursday afternoon?

I suspect there would be a few 'phone sales as well, but that would leave it a bit late to post out those tickets.

Let's say it's only 25. What's your point?

Phone sales on a Thursday are held for collection. They wouldn't be posted out after Wednesday. The ticket office also sells other things like away tickets, meals, hospitality and DVDs, and it deals with queries of many kinds, so the actual number of tickets is irrelevant in my view. A low volume of daily sales would equally be an argument for shutting the ticket office in the run-up to international breaks and in the summer when there are no games, but it wouldn't be sensible. More to the point, if the numbers are very low, why should it make any difference to the admin? The club is really saying that without closing too many supporters would be contacting them for them to get their work done in peace, which is a self-defeating argument.

• Options

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

a) A Saturday home match
    b) A Saturday away match

Phone sales on a Thursday are held for collection. They wouldn't be posted out after Wednesday. The ticket office also sells other things like away tickets, meals, hospitality and DVDs, and it deals with queries of many kinds, so the actual number of tickets is irrelevant in my view. A low volume of daily sales would equally be an argument for shutting the ticket office in the run-up to international breaks and in the summer when there are no games, but it wouldn't be sensible. More to the point, if the numbers are very low, why should it make any difference to the admin? The club is really saying that without closing too many supporters would be contacting them for them to get their work done in peace, which is a self-defeating argument.

Why are you so freekin bothered? Why does it matter so much to you?
  • Options

Do you not think there is a group of potential supporters who never get that far because their assumption is that football is unaffordable? At a different level I would say that's the point of Football for a Fiver, which requires huge promotion to get to a big enough audience to fill the stadium. It's not good enough to say that it's the public's responsibility to find out. No other business works that way.

The big confusion in this whole discussion is between what committed supporters will do and how you need to operate to enlarge the support.

After we started the season so well, the club should have sent a letter to all lapsed season-ticket holders from Duchatelet or Peeters or Meire setting out a credible plan for the future and making them an offer to come back now, as season ticket holders, and the same time flagging the £15 price. The response wouldn't have been spectacular, but it would have covered the cost and set the tone.

What it actually did was take season tickets off sale.

It now has a second opportunity with half seasons, which I hope it will take, but I fear the results have turned because of the thin squad. I hope I'm wrong.
    Totally agree about the £15.00 ticket, I was surprised how cheap Upper West seats could be, until I decided to buy a ticket for my brother in law, I had expected around £25.

Charltons marketing now and in the past has always left a lot to be desired.
  • Options

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

a) A Saturday home match
    b) A Saturday away match

Airman , the bitterness you have in you is amazing. You really are making a mountain out of a Molehill .
  • Options

No, I don't.
    I'm very capable of finding out for myself what prices tickets are. I've done it for the game I'm going to tomorrow night. I had a season ticket for 12 years. Since 2011 we weren't enjoying it as much (both fans) and it was more of a expensive chore. We spent the next 2 seasons going to pretty much all the home games using spares of friends, or my dads, uncles, grandads etc. or buying just one £30 ticket to sit by my dad. This season so far, we havent asked around to see if anyone has a spare, my dad hasn't missed any home games, and £60 for both of us is a bit much for a 4 hour section of my saturday plus booze when we can watch it at home on a stream, or on radio. Yes, you may deem me 'no longer a fan' 'fickle' etc etc But I'm not the only one. How empty was the ground last week? There are thousands of us that are out of the habit and just need their heads turned to know that they could spend £15, catch up with their mates, see their team, enjoy it, and buy another ticket and go again....
    All good points Suzi, but I was in fact answering Airman's direct question.
    Airman was suggesting there is a "group" (3, 30, 300...??) of potential fans who are unable to find out the prices at the ground which is frankly ridiculous.
  • Options

Addickted said:

Addickted said:

a) A Saturday home match
    b) A Saturday away match

No point. Just wondered if it was perhaps the quietest period of ticket sales during the week and that s why they chose a 'half day' thursday.

Indeed If sales are that low, I struggle to understand how much 'admin time' this would free up for staff. Are staffing hours being reduced? Does seem a strange move to me. The reasons for it don't add up.

Let's hope Weegie is correct and the new all singing and dancing ticketing system is due to be introduced in the near future. Perhaps the time for staff between now and Christmas is to train staff on how to use it?
  • Options

No, I don't.
    All good points Suzi, but I was in fact answering Airman's direct question.
    Airman was suggesting there is a "group" (3, 30, 300...??) of potential fans who are unable to find out the prices at the ground which is frankly ridiculous.
    It's not that they are unable to find out, but rather that it wouldn't occur to them there was anything to discover. The club doesn't just sell tickets to existing fans; it recruits new ones all the time - and in every case they are prompted by something, whether it's friends, family, a school promotion or an ad in the local press. A £15 ticket is a potential way of attracting someone who wouldn't pay £25, but not unless they know about it.

• Options
    edited October 2014
    What might everyone expect this potential new ticketing system to do? Are we heading towards bar codes on your phone that get you in or different paper?
  • Options
    OK. Understand your point now.