Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ticket office to shut EVERY Wednesday & Thursday (latest update page 9)

Comments

• It seems an odd thing to do.
  • Why?

David Colgan gives his reason and the ticket office is open 9am-5pm every other day of the week. Plenty of time to get a ticket if you need one.
  • IMO its a good thing.
  • edited October 2014
    Apostrophe in it’s current working hours is a hanging offence surely?

But perhaps Airman's point is that if there isn't huge throughput on Thursday afternoons, then the staff could be getting on with other stuff while having a ticketing window open as well?
  • edited October 2014
    It's a silly idea because more revenue will be lost than saved and if you want to increase ticket sales you don't do so by reducing the opportunity for people to buy, particularly within 48 hours of Saturday home games. Of course some people will come back later or make other plans, but others won't. What it really reflects is that the club isn't selling many tickets in general, but it's still bonkers.
  • I'm with AB. Closing on an afternoon two days before a home game is mad. This isn't just walk-up sales but phone bookings too. Even if they only sell 50 tickets what is the harm in manning one phone?
  • It's a silly idea because more revenue will be lost than saved and if you want to increase ticket sales you don't do so by reducing the opportunity for people to buy, particularly within 48 hours of Saturday home games. Of course some people will come back later or make other plans, but others won't. What it really reflects is that the club isn't selling many tickets in general, but it's still bonkers.

What if by closing on Thursday pm enables them to open more ticket windows an hour or so before kickoff on matchdays when the queues are sometimes horrific. Surely that will encourage on the day sales?
  • “In terms of ticket sales Thursday afternoons are one of the quietest periods of the week,” he said.

So what is the issue?
  • edited October 2014

It's a silly idea because more revenue will be lost than saved and if you want to increase ticket sales you don't do so by reducing the opportunity for people to buy, particularly within 48 hours of Saturday home games. Of course some people will come back later or make other plans, but others won't. What it really reflects is that the club isn't selling many tickets in general, but it's still bonkers.

What if by closing on Thursday pm enables them to open more ticket windows an hour or so before kickoff on matchdays when the queues are sometimes horrific. Surely that will encourage on the day sales?
    The issues on matchdays are shortage of windows (and physical constraints with the north ticket office), accessible computers, working ticket printers and trained staff.

To put this in perspective, if Thursday afternoon is the quietest period during the week then you only need two people - one on the phones and one to cover the window. Most of the time they won't be selling, so they can do other things too. The club pays about £8 an hour max, so 4 hours x 2 people x £8 = £64. Add on-costs, say £80. That's about average net revenue from 5-6 home match ticket sales. Actual sales will vary and many would just be displaced, but it's not possible to say that half a dozen wouldn't be lost on average.

The reason they will want to close is more likely that dealing with customers is inconvenient. Issues arise that draw in the manager, etc. It's easier to do the admin work without interruption, but Charlton is a professional football club playing in the second tier, not a non-League outfit in the 1950s. It needs to deals with the public accordingly.

• Sponsored links:

• Half day closing on Thursdays ... Just like the good old days when shops used to be open 9-5, Monday to Saturday with half day closing on Thursday. Closed on Sunday so that we could all go to church, have a drink up the pub, home for lunch then a snooze before songs of praise and a shellfish supper. Memories ...
  • I blame scott parker
  • edited October 2014
    I know I will not be the only one boycotting because of this.

I will not be returning to the valley until this changed.
  • edited October 2014
    Can't see a problem with it myself. There is over 40 hours spread over the week where you can get a ticket. Just ring another time or get one on matchday.
    I can't see it having any detrimental affect on ticket sales.
  • We should do what Bournemouth do and sell tickets at local theaters, convention centres and at the club shop in central Greenwich.
    If we had any of these things.
  • It's a silly idea because more revenue will be lost than saved and if you want to increase ticket sales you don't do so by reducing the opportunity for people to buy, particularly within 48 hours of Saturday home games. Of course some people will come back later or make other plans, but others won't. What it really reflects is that the club isn't selling many tickets in general, but it's still bonkers.

The issues on matchdays are shortage of windows (and physical constraints with the north ticket office), accessible computers, working ticket printers and trained staff.

To put this in perspective, if Thursday afternoon is the quietest period during the week then you only need two people - one on the phones and one to cover the window. Most of the time they won't be selling, so they can do other things too. The club pays about £8 an hour max, so 4 hours x 2 people x £8 = £64. Add on-costs, say £80. That's about average net revenue from 5-6 home match ticket sales. Actual sales will vary and many would just be displaced, but it's not possible to say that half a dozen wouldn't be lost on average.

The reason they will want to close is more likely that dealing with customers is inconvenient. Issues arise that draw in the manager, etc. It's easier to do the admin work without interruption, but Charlton is a professional football club playing in the second tier, not a non-League outfit in the 1950s. It needs to deals with the public accordingly.

Why don't you start your own football club seeing as you know everything about how to run one? Then you can stop worrying about CAFC.
  • I can understand possible closing the windows but not maning the telephone line is unacceptable. This is just the thin edge of the wedge driving everybody to use on line sales, the next move is likely to be outsoucing( Tickmaster).
  • Why not take calls and sell tickets in the club shop on Thursday afternoons.
    Can't be hard to put a terminal in there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Why not take calls and sell tickets in the club shop on Thursday afternoons.

The shop is no longer run by the club (outsourced).

• All seems a very odd thing to do to me. Every other business is open for longer and longer in an effort to maximise revenue yet were are reverting back to the days of half day closing. I also doubt those digging out Airman for his views would be happy to turn up to their bank, builders merchant, supermarket or local council offices to find them closed to allow staff to catch up on a bit of admin for example.
  • a lot different AFKA. Some people only need a twig to beat him with it.
  • All seems a very odd thing to do to me. Every other business is open for longer and longer in an effort to maximise revenue yet were are reverting back to the days of half day closing. I also doubt those digging out Airman for his views would be happy to turn up to their bank, builders merchant, supermarket or local council offices to find them closed to allow staff to catch up on a bit of admin for example.

oh come on, not the same is it.

fans can still buy online at anytime during the week.

And Airman doesn't do himself any favours with opening comments like 'Beyond Parody'. Bit rich.
  • The ticket office has better opening times than any of the NHS services in my region, don't think it's that bad.
  • Dansk_Red said:

Why not take calls and sell tickets in the club shop on Thursday afternoons.

The shop is no longer run by the club (outsourced).

I'm not sure that's a good reason. I live in Manchester and various third-party tourist outlets can sell tickets to MUFC and MCFC matches.