Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Eddie Howe - future england manager?

2»

Comments

• Options

CAFCOlly said:

CAFCOlly said:

Good manager, and appreciate that what he has done at Bournemouth is impressive. But, he has had money to spend and has performed as expected in my opinion when taking into account the funds available and the fact he is working with what seems to be a very supportive chairman.

eddie howe basically saved bournemouth from relegation from league two, got them promoted to league one and then almost got them up via play offs without spending a penny.
    Yes, and that is impressive. Though Gary Johnson got Yeovil up via the play offs without spending a penny (pretty much). Not taking anything away from the man, but just think he is sometimes overly praised simply for being a so called 'young and upcoming manager'. With players like Boruc, Surman, Callum Wilson and of course Yann at his disposal, i'd say he's performing as expected.
    This, he has been well supported not just with money for a player like Wilson but by big wages to keep their most talented players & add players like Yann.

He has done a really good job at but lets not pretend they are little Bournemouth underdogs when it comes to money they are willing to spend.
    when he took charge of bournemouth they had a massive points deduction and a transfer embargo in league 2. He managed to save them, then get them promoted, then almost got them promoted again before they ever had any money. They only got that russian billionaire a year or so ago. Eddie Howe is a quality manager.
    100% this. Not sure why some posters are trying to credit his recent success on money alone tbh. He was performing miracles at Dean Court when they didn't have a proverbial pot. A lot of Burnley fans recognise the ground work he put in up there albeit ultimately it didn't work out. More recently has proven himself a shrewd judge of players and bought well in the transfer market too putting a team together more than capable of competing in the top half of the Championship.

And by all accounts he is a great bloke outside of football...and he's English! As a strange lady once said 'rejoice, rejoice' that we have a few young guns like EH, Dyche, Rowett and Powell coming through into management rather than the merry go round of oldies and overseas appointments.
  • Options
    If you think Powell is popular at Charlton, Eddie Howe is practically royalty down there.
  • Options
    Don't think anyone is questioning Howe's ability or credentials but more questioning his career pathway to being England's manager. Unless he gets a gig at a top eight Premier League club I don't think he's got a prayer. Now he could of course get Bournemouth into that position or perhaps do a job at another bottom half PL team but even then it's hard to see the FA taking notice. Steve Bruce has been knocking around for years doing a decent job as has Tony Pulis.
  • Options
    Howe has done well with no money, then has done well with money, I'm sure that has been noted in the wider football world...
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Something about Howe i dont like. Great manager for Bournemouth but it must be his face. Looks like a 14 year old lesbian.

In terms of England manager, no.

National management and club management are very different. I like the fact Gary Neville has been involved in the England set-up, knows how it works, the politics involved, has tournament experience and capped loads for England as a player. Hopefully he will take over from Roy.

• Options
    The way he has got Francis performing as one of the best right backs in the division is proof enough of his management skills. Many Burnley fans give him credit for laying the foundations of the promotion squad as well. Granted he has got good support from his chairman but he's still over performed IMHO.
  • Options
    Failed Burnley manager ?
  • Options
    Key thing for Howe to progress is for him to adapt outside his comfort zone, Bournemouth.

Still very young, whilst being very talented, there is no need for him to stray outside this zone until he has taken every last thing out of his current job. Including chasing a high pressure play off position or ,maybe even, a play off final.

He hasn't had to deal with diva's or failed prima donna's who may struggle to get inspiration from a young manager who hasn't competed as high up the game ladder as them. He still has a lot to learn and alot of time to do so.

Who knows where he will be in 15/20 years time, but if he is on a Curbishley management pile of 'forgotten men', then it would be a shame to see one of the biggest management talents be in there.
  • Options

CAFCOlly said:

CAFCOlly said:

Good manager, and appreciate that what he has done at Bournemouth is impressive. But, he has had money to spend and has performed as expected in my opinion when taking into account the funds available and the fact he is working with what seems to be a very supportive chairman.

eddie howe basically saved bournemouth from relegation from league two, got them promoted to league one and then almost got them up via play offs without spending a penny.
    Yes, and that is impressive. Though Gary Johnson got Yeovil up via the play offs without spending a penny (pretty much). Not taking anything away from the man, but just think he is sometimes overly praised simply for being a so called 'young and upcoming manager'. With players like Boruc, Surman, Callum Wilson and of course Yann at his disposal, i'd say he's performing as expected.
    This, he has been well supported not just with money for a player like Wilson but by big wages to keep their most talented players & add players like Yann.

He has done a really good job at but lets not pretend they are little Bournemouth underdogs when it comes to money they are willing to spend.
    when he took charge of bournemouth they had a massive points deduction and a transfer embargo in league 2. He managed to save them, then get them promoted, then almost got them promoted again before they ever had any money. They only got that russian billionaire a year or so ago. Eddie Howe is a quality manager.
    He is a fantastic manager who has achieved great things in the lower leagues with his favoured club, i was not disputing that, i was desperate for him to take over here when he ended up going to Burnley.

Im just pointing out that he has been given a huge boost in recent times with the money they are spending, so with his past success they should get promoted this season, they are not little underdogs anymore.
  • Options
    Howe is on big wages at Bournemouth (allegedly about the same as Kermorgant) but looks like he deserves it. He has got the best out of players because he has let them play to their strengths. In the case of Francis, that means allowing him to attack as much as defend.

Next time Spurs are looking for a manager (which won't be long) they could do worse than talk to Howe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Turned us down not once but twice each time asking for more money.

Doesn't make him a bad manager though.
  • Options
    Next west spam manager.
  • Options

Turned us down not once but twice each time asking for more money.

Doesn't make him a bad manager though.

I believe he earns a lot more than most managers in our division. Although I wouldn't really have an idea what say Peeters, Holloway or Powell would be on at the moment? Presumably a fair chunk of it is bonus based?
  • Options
    I think a national team should be a national team from managers and coaches all the way down to the kit cleaner.
  • Options
    If offered England job, hen-pecked Howe would have to first get his wife's permission.

When he left us in October 2013, we were two points off the bottom three and heading for relegation with the WORST defence in the Championship.

On a MUCH LOWER playing budget, Sean Dyche got us promoted the following season with 93 points (only 5 defeats) and with the BEST defence in the division (only 37 conceded in 46 games). The back four were the same players Howe had!!!!

Howe is doing very well at Bournemouth but let's not ignore the fact he has one of the BIGGER playing budgets in the division.
  • Options
    He's a bright light and he's English but it's extremely far fetched to think he could be England manager at this point. Club managing and national team managing is a completely different kettle of fish.

How do you know if you don't take a risk? Yes, but way too early.

Also burnley fan ^ makes a point.
  • Options
    Roy Keane - future England manager?

We're not exactly popular in the world game at the moment. We need an ambassador who will win hearts and minds everywhere with his Irish charm.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

He's not just interested in the players ability but dictates all of their diets, curfews etc. he's absolutely meticulous and really could go far.

For these reasons I'd say no. A national coach is a completely different job. They only work with the players for a day or two, except when in camp during a tournament, so wouldn't be able to have nearly the same amount of input on the players.

I personally think the job should be part-time, as all they seem to do between intl breaks is rock up at a premier match and pretend to show some interest. With fixtures spread out these days to accomodate Sky, it means that a part-time manager would still find plenty of opportunities to go and watch a game..................
  • Options
    Isn't he behind Alan Curbishley and Sam Allardyce, or have things moved on a bit since I read that?
  • Options
    Obviously too early for Howe. But definitely a reasonable punt for the future, if he continues as he has.

Surprised no-one put up Appleton's mugshot though ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Simon E said:

Surprised no-one put up Appleton's mugshot though ;-)

Even Appleton has higher ambitions than that rabble.............
  • Options
    Was only taking Burnley one way, and doing it with a considered lack of skill; Lancy claret do Burnley fans rate him? You were awful under him. Anyone who resigns Josh Mcquoid has to be a bit screw loose. As for biggest budget at Bournemouth, I doubt it. The key is there able to pay big wages to add to their squad.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Who's the poor bugger upset to get that gig!?