Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Just been woken by a burglar with a knife entering my bedroom...

I'm in Tenerife at my Dad's villa for half term. As my Dad and his wife are here I'm sleeping in the second bedroom with my son (there are two single beds in the room).

We (my Dad, his wife and I) went to bed at 12:20 - my son was asleep by then. At about ten past one I noticed a small light being used to look into the bedroom I am in. It took me a second to realise it shouldn't have been there. I got up and walked to the door and pulled it open (it opens inwards).

I saw a young (compared to me - probably between 15 and 25) man/youth walking back down the stairs. I called out "What the f**c are you doing?" and they (there were two of them) ran down the stairs and out the front door. Without thinking I gave chase. A quick scan of the room showed the front door open, a window forced open and draws and cupboard doors open.

It was then that the third man, who had been in my Dad's bedroom when I chased the other two off approached me with a ten inch kitchen knife and advised me that if I made a noise he would kill me. He told me twice, just for the avoidance of doubt, I presume. He was not very big and was probably bluffing, but I didn't have the time to think about it.

I, instinctively, put on my most serious voice (the one I use to sound tough) and told him to "Just go then!" and he promptly left.

Immediatly afterwards my Dad appeared at the bottom of the stairs. It transpires that this third man had, accidentally, woken my Dad's wife and had threatened her with the knife but if startled him when I shouted at his two friends and chased after them.

They got away with quite a lot of stuff. Most valuables were in the bedrooms with us - the real valuable stuff was in the safe. Still they probably got away with enough to make an insurance claim but the biggest issue, for me, is that they stole my son's trainers so I now have to tell him something happened. At ten he will, obviously, be frightened at the thought of three, potentially violent, men coming into our villa - especially the bedroom, with kitchen knives.

The immediate concern, although I suspect little chance of them returning, is that we can't secure the window they forced open so I'm not feeling like going to sleep very much.

I know this sort of thing is not remarkably rare but I never thought I'd experience it. I'm not, exactly, very tough. I do have some martial arts training but a long time ago and I've never been in a 'real' fight. It also, I've learned tonight, focuses your mind when someone with a big knife threatens to kill you - even if they don't mean it, which is what I suspect was the case.

Anyway, as it's 4am and I'm probably not going to sleep anytime soon I thought I'd share the events of my exciting evening.

It doesn't bear thinking about what could have happened!

Comments

• Options
    That sounds terrifying.

If it was me I still wouldn't tell the son... I think it would take him a long time to get over the fear of someone breaking in while he's asleep.

Glad you're all okay.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Cant you bluff your son , has he got flip flops or crocs and make out the cleaner may have taken them later in the day or while you're out a stray dog has taken them from the villa
    Sorry to hear of this but the most important thing is you are all ok and hopefully your son wasn't disturbed

Will be agg filling out reports or whatever but I'd deffo try and keep this from your son
    Just blag the wind blew the window in or something like that
    Try and get out for the day and maybe receive a phone call from your old man saying this stray dog has ruined his trainers and you better go buy a nice brand new pair

Complete waffle but hope it helps

If the police have to get involved with you if possible try and keep that away from the boy , make out the car has been damaged a little bit if he sees them about

I think protecting him and his young over active mind from being fearful is the most important thing if that is possible

Good luck

I every so often have a nightmare of someone being in the room like that but I just freeze (pathetic) well done for chasing them off
  • Options
    I must confess I didn't know they had knives until I'd started chasing them down the stairs, and I was deliberately letting them get away.
  • Options
    JEESSSUUUSSSSSS- I wouldnt tell your son, I'm spooked by your story and I'm not even involved. Knives or no knives I wouldnt of had the courage to confront the men (I dont have children yet, but I guess it is probably within a parents nature to put the safety of their kids first) well done but definitely dont tell your son there is 1000's of possibilities you can conjure up as to where they have gone.
  • Options
    sorry to hear this, pal

bit nasty that

at least everyone is in one piece

feel the joy of being alive, eh!

As you say....focuses the mind

Go have some fun tomorrow
  • Options
    Man, that is a scary story. I'd maybe fudge the issue of the trainers for a later date. Anyway, the important thing is you guys. You never know the limits when bastards with knives break in, but in the long run, stolen stuff is better tan a knife wound.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about this kings. please do not say anything to your son.
  • Options
    Wow, I have a wildly different opinion to most.
    I would sit your son down and explain to him what has happened and that this does go on. Honesty is the best policy and will stop you tangling a web of lies as he questions with curiousity your made up story. Treat your son like an adult and his response may well be adult like about it.

Glad that all concerned are ok, that's the main thing!! Explain that to him and that trainers are just a possession that's replaceable.
  • Options

Treat your son like an adult and his response may well be adult like about it.

His son isn't an adult and the innocence of youth is a beautiful thing , he'll have plenty of time to be an adult later in life , no need to start now

I'm sure he knows such things as burglars and naughty people exist but he doesn't need them in his innocent life
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've lived in Tenerife since 1998 where are you staying mate ?
  • Options
    Gutted to hear Kha

scum absolutely scum
  • Options
    We had someone try to break in when I was about 10. Didn't affect me in the least. Don't lie to your son. What kind of example is that setting? You can tell him someone broke in and nicked his shoes, you can omit some of the details like the knife and the number of people.
  • Options
    how old is the son?
    I also thought you should tell him.... but as I'm not a father, I thought it better to leave comments to those who are
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Horrific experience KHA so I am relieved that you are all OK. I too feel differently. Kids pick up on unease and they will know that something is wrong. I would have told my kids but downplayed the angst and omit the knife bit. Silly kids stealing for a dare etc which is why they took his shoes. He'll probably feel safer knowing his Dad scared them and chased them away.
  • Options

Wow, I have a wildly different opinion to most.
    I would sit your son down and explain to him what has happened and that this does go on. Honesty is the best policy and will stop you tangling a web of lies as he questions with curiousity your made up story. Treat your son like an adult and his response may well be adult like about it.

Glad that all concerned are ok, that's the main thing!! Explain that to him and that trainers are just a possession that's replaceable.

No! the son is a child one of the biggest mistakes people make with children is treating them like adults they don't have the mental strength to deal with adult problems.

Glad no one got hurt.KHA
  • Options
    The house where my partner lived with her brother and parents was broken into a few years ago whilst they were sleeping (No knives in this instance though).

When her Brother found out he refused to sleep during the night-time and would stay downstairs on the sofa for an age afterwards
  • Options
    What a dreadful thing to happen. Hope everything works out well.
  • Options
    What greenie said we need to stop exposing our children to the harsh reality of life and give them the chance to remain carefree in child hood
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't tell your son.
    We were burgled when I was a kid. We were away at the time but still affected me.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your frightening experience. Pleased everyone is OK.
  • Options
    Why on earth would they nick a pair of kid size trainers?
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about being "tough" or in a "real fight" - you vs someone with a knife isn't it - you did exactly the right thing. Just tell your son a wild cat got in an nicked his trainers.
  • Options
    Don't tell him. He doesn't need to know and will spend a lot of time questioning you about it and thinking about it himself. It will have an effect and is something that could stay with him for a while and have a knock on impact on other things.

Hope you are all ok. Go and have an exciting and fun filled day.
  • Options
    Personally I don't think you should tell your boy. Firstly, it could really have a big effect on him for a long time. Secondly, in the grand scheme of things, he doesn't really need to know does he?

You can make up any old bs about the trainers.
  • Options
    That's terrible Paul. Hope you are all OK.

Personally I wouldn't tell George or at least not about the knives etc. Sure you can find some new trainers.
  • Options
    I wouldn't tell him, personally - I was terrified at my Grandma and Grandpa's house after they were burgled when we were staying there (but out for the day), kept thinking they were going to come back etc.

And I was 26.
  • Options
    Glad you're all ok mate
    Don't tell the boy, not til he's older at least
    Fookin arseholes everywhere, hope they do catch them but wouldn't expect it!
    Try and enjoy the rest of your stay and be safe.
  • Options
    In all seriousness I was about 8/9 I think so not far off ten and it shook me up - nothing to gain by telling him IMHO.