Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

going to Malmo v Atletico tonight

Invited up here by my buddy who has tickets. He is not a big Malmo fan, but comes from the area, and they are all getting terribly excited about Malmos adventures, very much a minnow at this level. I'm told to expect a very good atmosphere. They need to win though, to have any chance of progressing.

Southern Sweden is like the South of England after somebody ordered a massive clean up and got everybody to travel by bike.

Hoping for two big wins Oop North tonight....

Comments

• Options
    I went to the old stadium in 92 for the European Champioships
  • Options

I went to the old stadium in 92 for the European Champioships

Didn't realise it was a new stadium. Now I'm told it was built in 2009, and with German style rail seats which increase capacity from 18k to 24k when standing is allowed

I'm now being threatened with a visit to some statue of Zlatan in the "ghetto" where he was raised. Well we'll see about "ghetto"....

• Options
    ****Malmo. All about HIF in the Swedish league.

Was in Malmo in September. Lovely place.

Sounds a great game to be at as a netural.
  • Options
    Roy Hodgson apparently in town to see it. Hugely revered still , I'm told
  • Options

HIF ?

• Options

Roy Hodgson apparently in town to see it. Hugely revered still , I'm told

he's guest of honour at the game in recognition for his 5? title wins apparently
  • Options

HIF ?

Helsingborgs IF
  • Options
    Lovely town and a nice stadium. Be careful of the mixed gender toilets, Swedish blokes pee sitting down!
  • Options
    RedPanda said:

Lovely town and a nice stadium. Be careful of the mixed gender toilets, Swedish blokes pee sitting down!

Just in case they follow through. Sensible Swedes.
  • Options
    Hodgson is a football genius over there. Malmo is a lovely city, would highly recommend a visit during the warmer months.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

HIF ?

Helsingborgs IF
    Ah I'm told that's the biggest derby after the Stockholm one. Doesn't Martin Pringle have a connection to them?

• Options
    I went to GAIS v Hammerby a couple of weeks ago. I doubt I'll ever top a Swedish 2nd division match for randomness. Absolutely brilliant atmosphere though.
  • Options
    Well that was fun, even though the result wasn't what we wanted. For a while in the second half it was a real cup tie, Malmo were denied a clear penalty by that arse Clatttenburg, who awarded it outside the box, and then apparently there was a handball from the resulting free kick too. They hit the post after that too, but then Atletico hit them on the break with a second clinical goal, and frankly the gap in class was clear all night. Giant killing isn't allowed in the UCL. Brilliant partisan support all the way through. Roy Hodgson got an award and a huge reception at half time. Enjoyed it all.
  • Options
    Great first goal by Atletico , nice flick
  • Options
    I've been to both the new and old Malmo stadiums. My wife and family are big fans. Brother-in-law runs the company that provides all of the security for the sports stadiums/pubs/clubs in Malmo, 200+ guards. I sat next to him at a game at the old olympic staduim and watched with awe as the home fans celebrated a goal by throwing flares around in the cop. I asked him if anyone was going to go in a sort them out. He turned to me and asked if i'd go in to 'that bunch or lunatics' said it all really. Incidentally a Jonatan Johansson played for Malmo that afternoon, which brought back some happy memories.

I brought my step father in law to a game at Bramhall Lane a few weeks back when he was visiting and true to form he wore his Malmo blue and white scarf to the game (in the home end). Let's just say a few people mentioned the scarf numerous times before, during and after the game, lol.

Zlatan is indeed from Rosengard which is Malmo's 'ghetto'. Large ageing high rise flats complex, with mostly 'new swedes' as the non-pc locals call it. Turning Torso it aint! Zlatan adopts a god like staus in his home town, which about matches his ego. I got pulled near the flats one night by police for not having any bike lights on. A serious offence which attracts a big fine and nearly got me arrested (when i ignored the female officer and carried on regardless).

Can't say enough positives about the town. Cheap flights too, with it being only a few stops from Copenhagen airport, across 'The Bridge'.
  • Options
    Tickets for Malmo UCL group games ranged from just £23 to £45 per seat, if you bought a package of tickets for all three home games. Which is well within the reach of most Swedish wallets.

Malmo's old stadium is alongside the new one, still maintained and going to be used for athletics apparently. The one drawback was that there wasn't a metro station handy but after a 15 minute walk we reached the train station. There we parted company with my mate's son. the train whisked us back to Lund at 100mph in 10 minutes, while less than an hour after we parted his son reported that he too was back in his student flat in Copenhagen - another country!
  • Options
    That Koke goal was class
  • Options
    I love Malmo. I was due to move out there for a bit this year until it fell through, but I absolutely fell in love with the place - as well as Lund and, across the bridge, Copenhagen. Its definitely still on my radar.

I've got a lot of time for the Swedish, I've never felt as safe and as welcomed as I did in that country.

My biggest regret, without a doubt, was not going to a fixture at Malmo. It was back in March I think, when the football season had just kicked off, I got ready but ended up sleeping in my hotel room. In the end I went out to Malmo in the evening and found an Irish bar near Lilla Torg (spelling? Small square) - open fires and lots of bars and clubs... Beautiful.

I've actually booked a long weekend in Copenhagen at the end of the month - part break and partly to visit Malmo, Lund and hopefully a few people I worked with.
  • Options
    I went to the Maimo v Notts Forest Europen Cup Final in Munich 1979.
  • Options
    Images from last night
    -Whole crowd singing the Malmo anthem before the start
    - "Roy's Corner"
    Have a vid of Roy on the pitch at half time receiving an award to rapturous acclaim, but seems .mov files "are not allowed"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And finally. Having spent some last night discussing Zlatan and his childhood "ghetto" upbringing that he bangs on about so much, my mate suggested we go check out Rosengard this morning. Ghetto, my arse. Maximum seven storey blocks, immaculately kept, swimming pool and ice rink as well as a large supermarket all on hand. Admittedly a brand new and rather dominant police station too. (But bicycles parked outside without a care in the world).

We popped round to his current seafront residence (see pic) to invite him to lunch and discuss the meaning of the word "ghetto" with him, but he wasn't in.
  • Options

And finally. Having spent some last night discussing Zlatan and his childhood "ghetto" upbringing that he bangs on about so much, my mate suggested we go check out Rosengard this morning. Ghetto, my arse. Maximum seven storey blocks, immaculately kept, swimming pool and ice rink as well as a large supermarket all on hand. Admittedly a brand new and rather dominant police station too. (But bicycles parked outside without a care in the world).

We popped round to his current seafront residence (see pic) to invite him to lunch and discuss the meaning of the word "ghetto" with him, but he wasn't in.

That's a Swedish ghetto for you, Prague!

I remember, after one of my nights of soul searching in Malmö one evening, being told by a colleague that I'd ended up walking through a "ghetto" that was "overrun by Kosovans". I was stunned.. I'd walked around listening to my iPod without a care in the world. Never felt threatened and never felt the slightest bit insecure...

In fact, I've just got a cab from outside Herne Hill station and felt more worried outside the station there.. Once again; Sweden is a country I have far too much affection for. They truly are a special race with a special place.
  • Options
    Even the ugly birds are reeeeeeeem up that way