Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brown and the Bigot/Miliband and the Bacon Sandwich

Comments

• Options

The sad fact in all of this is that the press think and are correct in thinking that publishing a less than flattering picture of the Leader of The Labour Party eating a bacon sandwich will help not getting him elected. How fucking far has the British electorate fallen that this is not laughed off as a piece of irrelevance. I despair.

I respectfully disagree and I would say the same if we were talking about David Cameron.

As the PM you need to show an air of authority, calm assurance etc.
    How will Milliband cope with all the problems that will be thrown at him as PM of this country, if he looks totally uncomfortable and totally ill at ease, eating a sandwich and giving 2p to a homeless person ?
    Also why would you be so utterly foolish to give 2p to a homeless person?

I'm afraid he fills me with zero confidence to be our PM and I would say the same if I was a Labour supporter, as do my Labour supporting mates, who say they couldn't possibly vote for Labour, whilst he is in charge.
    I think part of the point I was trying to make was the press have previous in this. They did exactly the same to Michael Foot and Neil Kinnock. Labour leaders they couldn't wait to ridicule and deride. Why because they didn't want a labour government returned regardless of leadership but in those twos cases they had visible flaws they could exploit. Paranoia. ? I don't think so.

• Options

The sad fact in all of this is that the press think and are correct in thinking that publishing a less than flattering picture of the Leader of The Labour Party eating a bacon sandwich will help not getting him elected. How fucking far has the British electorate fallen that this is not laughed off as a piece of irrelevance. I despair.

I respectfully disagree and I would say the same if we were talking about David Cameron.

How will Milliband cope with all the problems that will be thrown at him as PM of this country, if he looks totally uncomfortable and totally ill at ease, eating a sandwich and giving 2p to a homeless person ?

I'm afraid he fills me with zero confidence to be our PM and I would say the same if I was a Labour supporter, as do my Labour supporting mates, who say they couldn't possibly vote for Labour, whilst he is in charge.
    The thing is though CE, Moribund Miliband stands a great chance of becoming PM next May .. the parliamentary Labour party will not chuck him out and risk losing the UNITE funding, there is still a LOT of love for Labour throughout the land, warts, idiots, geniuses good, bad policies and all .. perhaps the best we can hope for is a Livingstone type coup in reverse á la the GLC in the 1980s if labour win the next election or are in a position to form a coalition
  • Options
    masicat said:

IAgree said:

To expand on my original point;

If you wanted to question the sincerity of politicians there are plenty of wonderful examples from all political backgrounds. Why these two I wonder? Because they are Labour and it fits in with the overwhelmingly Conservative / UKIP / Right wing viewpoint of most posters on this site.

Howls of " but we have plenty of posters with different political views!" Or " I have never voted for any of these parties!"

The reality is that if anyone left of centre posts opinions re politics it is they who are ridiculed, undermined and castigated. They are " Deluded" " Liars" " Lefties" " Childish" ( just from the last reopen days) and responsible for virtually every ill ever to befall this country. They are automatically have of all the opinions most of you hate.

The initial post was a sycophantic and lazy appeal to all the usual right wing ranters on CL to have a mutually satisfying moan -in.

By the way I realy don't care how someone eats any sandwich, or what the filling is.

Anyway carry on moaning!

You might aid your case by posting things that made sense. You need to check what your posting. It's very difficult to have a discussion, with a post that makes little sense. Are you using predictive text ?
    hahaha .. predictive text translated straight from the original Gibberish
    Is gibberish Yiddish ?

I'm an atheist and I don't eat bacon.

no, Yiddish is essentially a Germanic/Hebrew/Russian dialect which was and in some cases still is, the lingua franca of many European Jews .. but you knew that already .. Gibberish on the other hand is hard to decipher nonsensical wafflings and ramblings .. we are all guilty of that on here sometimes .. even moi ((:>)
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    seth plum said:

People are not all idiots that is true. But the rise of Russell Brand, the election of Boris, and the alleged support for Farage, suggests to me that enough of the electorate are motivated by stuff that isn't exactly deeply thought through.
    In that regard, ridiculing Miliband is absolutely going to be effective. All some parts of the media need to say is to describe what happens, and than instruct people as to what they ought to think about what happens, and a lot of the people will fall into line.

a terrific and very to the point post .. the meedja rules OK (or not as the case may be) .. though I have heard people say things like: 'poor Ed, he's a nice boy and I am gonna vote for him'
  • Options

I think part of the point I was trying to make was the press have previous in this. They did exactly the same to Michael Foot and Neil Kinnock. Labour leaders they couldn't wait to ridicule and deride. Why because they didn't want a labour government returned regardless of leadership but in those twos cases they had visible flaws they could exploit. Paranoia. ? I don't think so.

Kinnock was ridiculed yes but who was he up against? The most ridiculed PM ever. As for Michael "shot himself in the" Foot, yes he was ridiculed for his appalling appearance at The Cenotaph but that didn't lose him the General Election. Read the Labour Party's 1983 manifesto then you'll see why.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Kinnock was ridiculed yes but who was he up against? The most ridiculed PM ever. As for Michael "shot himself in the" Foot, yes he was ridiculed for his appalling appearance at The Cenotaph but that didn't lose him the General Election. Read the Labour Party's 1983 manifesto then you'll see why.
    Kinnock's arrogance lost him that election alriiiiiiiiiiight!!!!!!
  • Options
    He lost two.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:

He lost two.

Falling on his jacksy in the sea didn't help
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    IAgree said:

If you wanted to question the sincerity of politicians there are plenty of wonderful examples from all political backgrounds. Why these two I wonder? Because they are Labour and it fits in with the overwhelmingly Conservative / UKIP / Right wing viewpoint of most posters on this site.

Howls of " but we have plenty of posters with different political views!" Or " I have never voted for any of these parties!"

The reality is that if anyone left of centre posts opinions re politics it is they who are ridiculed, undermined and castigated. They are " Deluded" " Liars" " Lefties" " Childish" ( just from the last reopen days) and responsible for virtually every ill ever to befall this country. They are automatically have of all the opinions most of you hate.

The initial post was a sycophantic and lazy appeal to all the usual right wing ranters on CL to have a mutually satisfying moan -in.

By the way I realy don't care how someone eats any sandwich, or what the filling is.

Anyway carry on moaning!

No one on this forum ridicules you because you are left of centre.

You are ridiculed because you are wilfully ignorant & you respond to any post that you disagree with like a 2 year old who doesn't get his own way.
  • Options

I can honestly say that I have never once voted for anyone based purely on how comfortable they look eating a bloody sandwich.

No, of course, it isn't that simple.

It's based on the fact, that Ed Milliband, looks like a fish out of water/a rabbit caught in the headlights, as the leader of The Labour Party. Nearly everyone sees, hears & recognises this, including Labour MP's & supporters.

Nearly everyone, apart from Unite (I think it's Unite), think David Milliband was the correct choice.

If Ed Milliband isn't of sufficient character/stature, to be leader of The Labour Party, then how can he be leader of Britain ?

The fact that the guy looks a complete buffoon trying to do the most basic things, such as eating a sandwich or giving 2P (yes that's 2P) to a homeless person, demonstrates why most people do not think he would be comfortable/ hold his own /triumph, against Merkel, Obama, Putin. If he's uncomfortable eating a sandwich how is he going to converse with world leaders ?

Ok, no doubt you'll say, but can Cameron hold his own. I would answer, he not the greatest, but he's certainly not a basket case like Ed Milliband.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

I can honestly say that I have never once voted for anyone based purely on how comfortable they look eating a bloody sandwich.

It's based on the fact, that Ed Milliband, looks like a fish out of water/a rabbit caught in the headlights, as the leader of The Labour Party. Nearly everyone sees, hears & recognises this, including Labour MP's & supporters.

Nearly everyone, apart from Unite (I think it's Unite), think David Milliband was the correct choice.

If Ed Milliband isn't of sufficient character/stature, to be leader of The Labour Party, then how can he be leader of Britain ?

The fact that the guy looks a complete buffoon trying to do the most basic things, such as eating a sandwich or giving 2P (yes that's 2P) to a homeless person, demonstrates why most people do not think he would be comfortable/ hold his own /triumph, against Merkel, Obama, Putin. If he's uncomfortable eating a sandwich how is he going to converse with world leaders ?

Ok, no doubt you'll say, but can Cameron hold his own. I would answer, he not the greatest, but he's certainly not a basket case like Ed Milliband.
    Spot on.

In my opinion the reason Unite supported Ed over David was because they knew he was far more mailable.
  • Options

Er, I'm not a Labour supporter so why you bring my post into I don't know.
  • Options
    I'm replying to your statement my friend, am I not ?
  • Options
    Indeed you are CE and more than entitled too as well. Just a bit curious as to why you went on a diatribe against Ed Miliband under my post. If that's your view then fine but you could have just posted what you did without bringing me into it as I don't find it relevant to what I said.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Sorry you feel that way. My apologies.

I was simply trying to explain that no one, including you, have ever voted for anyone, based purely on how comfortable they look, eating a bloody sandwich.

The point as to whether anyone should vote for Ed Milliband to be our PM, isn't about eating sandwiches, it's about his awkwardness, lack of poise, lack of confidence etc etc, as I posted above.

I don't care what party Ed leads. I don't think the man has, what it takes, to be the leader of Britain and it would appear that most of Britain agree, according to the polls.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Almost unbelievably, the really scary thing is not what was in the "longest suicide note in history" manifesto: it was what the party had left out but nonetheless had prepared for in the event of a Labour victory. Coming to you in 1983 was, in particular, the re-introduction of Exchange Control mechanisms (abolished by Thatcher in 1979). To those of you too young to remember what those were - look it up. Then reflect upon being required to get prior authority to take a maximum of £50 on holiday. Not to mention what it would have done to a UK economy barely recovering from the effects of the previous Labour regime.
    The supporting printed material was all ready to go in the event of Foot getting his foot into No.10. The outcome would have been truly catastrophic. Those who slag off Thatcher, and she got a lot wrong, fail to appreciate the climate that she was operating in and the utterly dreadful alternatives available to voters.

Here is life pre-Thatcher (some good/some bad):

Consumer realities:

The telephone was a luxury item – phone calls were incredibly expensive
    One could not own the phone in one’s home – one had to rent the set from what was the then General Post Office, a monopoly provider
    One could only take £50 in cash abroad on holiday – due to foreign exchange controls
    There were no university tuition fees
    Lower income families could get their children a generous grant from their local authority which more than covered university living expenses
    Inflation was over 10%
    Unemployment was under 6%

Taxation:

The lowest rate of income tax was 33%
    And the top rate of tax was 83%
    VAT was only 12.5% (on ‘luxury’ items) and 8% (on most other goods)

Housing:

Interest rates were 12%
    Mortgage queuing existed – one had to be a saver for a set period before a building society would consider offering a mortgage
    Council house tenants couldn't paint their own front door let alone buy their homes

The commanding heights of the economy:

The electricity, water, steel, coal, oil (BP), telecommunications, postal, airports, airline (BA), aerospace and rail industries were owned by the State
    Iconic automotive brands such as Jaguar, Land Rover and Mini were owned by the State
    There were over 200 working collieries employing around 250,000 people (There were over 900 in the 1940s, the industry having been in long term decline)
    In 1979, the winter of discontent year, 29.5m working days were lost to strikes, and in 1984, the miners’ strike year, 27.1m – in the last twenty years the average has been comfortably below 1m days lost per annum.

The City

Investment banks as we know them today did not exist
    Financial institutions were single capacity ie a broker or a banker, they couldn’t be both
    Foreign banks such as Goldman Sachs and other financial institutions were not allowed to buy or own member firms of the Stock Exchange
    Commission rates on trading UK shares were fixed and started at a minimum rate of 1.65% (they are now 0.1%)
    There was only one market that companies could listed their shares on (no AIM)
    There were lots of strangely named financial institutions such as Merchant Banks, Discount Houses and Moneybrokers

The 0% Club

One could count the number of women on the trading floor of the old Stock Exchange on one hand – the same went for the front office and the same went for company boards

Pensions and savings:

All companies offered a final salary pension scheme
    There were no tax efficient personal savings products such as ISAs
    One paid commissions to brokers and wealth managers, not fees
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Covered End. No need for apologies, crossed wires. As it goes I totally agree with you. Poor old Ed might come across as a decent, if a bit wet, kind of chap if you met him helping out on a tombola at your local village fete but world statesman? Hell no!
  • Options
    There are photos of Miliband looking geeky and uncomfortable because he is geeky and uncomfortable. There are silly photos of Cameron but don't think it detracts from his perceived gravitas.

You could probably swap parties around and say same with baseball cap Hague and Tony Blair. Hague looked silly and Blair usually looked statesman like. Even when talking about being homeless, stowing away on planes or watching jackie milburn
  • Options
    Nick licking his hand for the salt from David's KP nuts.
  • Options

To give a Charlton analogy. Joe Pigott looked totally uncomfortable/ill at ease/rabbitt caught in the headlights, on his League debut against Millwall, so it wouldn't make me confident that he could play centre forward for England/Man U.
    So what you are saying is that we need to elect a PM whose only working experience outside politics is as a PR man presenting swine as pearls their views as to how the country should be run are of secondary importance. Sorry but we appear to have tried that one already.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

The leader of the Labour Party is Jewish, as you say, but he is also the son of a Marxist.
    It is no secret that he has stated on numerous occasions that he doesn't believe in God.
    It is, presumably, fine, therefore that he does believe in bacon.
    Personally I'm happy with all of that but I can see that members of the Jewish faith (not to mention the Muslim one) might not be. It's just his utter incompetence that concerns me. (Although, presumably. he would have to be wearing his hypocrite's hat if he got elected as PM when dealing with all the side-show religious mumbo-jumbo that goes on in and around parliament and when communicating with QEII.)

What a shit Jew!

If he can't get the basics of his own religion right. I would hate to see him running the country!
  • Options

cafcfan said:

The leader of the Labour Party is Jewish, as you say, but he is also the son of a Marxist.
    It is no secret that he has stated on numerous occasions that he doesn't believe in God.
    Personally I'm happy with all of that but I can see that members of the Jewish faith (not to mention the Muslim one) might not be. It's just his utter incompetence that concerns me. (Although, presumably. he would have to be wearing his hypocrite's hat if he got elected as PM when dealing with all the side-show religious mumbo-jumbo that goes on in and around parliament and when communicating with QEII.)

What a shit Jew!

If he can't get the basics of his own religion right. I would hate to see him running the country!

Really.

• Options

cafcfan said:

What a shit Jew!

Really.

????.
  • Options
    Allwibble, letting yourself be pursued by packs of photographers when doing something modestly charitable was Ed's mistake there. It was less about which side of his face was in the shot but which side showed the 2p. What was he thinking?

Those other three foody photos do not come close on the odd-looking scale when compared with Ed and his bacon. Who lets him pose for that stuff?

His problem is that he wants to be popular. As a well to do son of an intellectual left wing immigrant, he is not well placed for that unless he is a conviction politician. I think Unite thought he was and that his convictions would align with theirs. Now he just wants to be whatever he thinks we all want him to be.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

IAgree said:

Anyway carry on moaning!

hahaha .. sycophantic.. written by a syphilitic little twerp no doubt .. oh .. are we sure that we have the correct words here ?
    I chose that word carefully - Look it up.

You have managed to start a thread which is a predictable swipe at Labour and have done so in order to play to the gallery of opinion on here.

Incidentally I am 5'11 18 stone, and have never had an STD and I would wager you wouldn't call me a syphalitic little twerp in the flesh.