Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Penalty

Just been looking at the BBC sports website, and there,s a clip of South Korea taking a penalty.The person taking the kick touches the ball and another player from outside the box runs up to score.I did not think that was leagal.I know Pires tried a few seasons ago,so does this set a president for penalty taking.

Comments

• Options
    Derek1952 said:

Just been looking at the BBC sports website, and there,s a clip of South Korea taking a penalty.The person taking the kick touches the ball and another player from outside the box runs up to score.I did not think that was leagal.I know Pires tried a few seasons ago,so does this set a president for penalty taking.

Maybe only a small dictator... ;0)

Not sure Derek, never seen it happen before. Any experts out there? (silly question on CL I know...)
  • Options
    It's not an illegal routine, except it's blatant encroaching by the 2nd player - he's near enough on the penalty spot when its rolled to him!
  • Options
    craigcafc said:

It's not an illegal routine, except it's blatant encroaching by the 2nd player - he's near enough on the penalty spot when its rolled to him!

This.

/thread.
  • Options
    Ajax done this in the 70's and Arsenal tried to do this in the Prem not to long ago
  • Options
    Jesper Olsen and Johan Cruyff wasn't it?
  • Options
    As long as the ball moves forward and the second players comes from outside the penalty area then I think it is ok.
  • Options

As long as the ball moves forward and the second players comes from outside the penalty area then I think it is ok.

It doesn't need to move forward.
  • Options
    When Arsenal failed it was because Pires didn't actually touch the ball.
  • Options

...but it needs to move by at least 27 inches
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:

...but it needs to move by at least 27 inches
    I think they did away with that a few years ago.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Yep. Used to be ball had to roll its circumference now just has to visibly move.

Would have been a legit penalty if not for the 2nd player encroaching before taker touched the ball.
  • Options
    I never knew this.

So the penalty taker could pass the ball to his left or right, as long as it goes marginally forward, for someone to come in and larrup a moving ball ?

Why doesn't that happen more often ?
  • Options
    Was thinking about this the other day.

How fricking ultra confident were they that they would win no matter what to try this.

• Options

Jesper Olsen and Johan Cruyff wasn't it?

Apologies for quoting myself, but this is it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJHN1mN5SCg
  • Options
    Could this not be interpreted as unsporting like conduct?
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

Why? There's nothing unsporting going on. The ball can be played by anyone once it is kicked by the taker. No different to a player touching a free kick to the side before another player hits it
  • Options

cafc999 said:

Why? There's nothing unsporting going on. The ball can be played by anyone once it is kicked by the taker. No different to a player touching a free kick to the side before another player hits it
    A free kick is just that though isn't it? A penalty is not a free kick.

It's a bit like when the striker does a feint in his run up to the penalty spot to put the keeper off. Some refs have said that performing that is unsporting yet they allow keepers to jump about.

I personally think it's great though
  • Options

This is correct. Only at kick off and the taking of a penalty does the ball have to be played forward.
  • Options

cafc999 said:

If someone done that though they would be asking for a crunching tackle straight from kick off. Piss take.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You know we would cock this up, right?
  • Options

You know we would cock this up, right?

not if we had Buyens running up and knocking the ball forwards allowing the on-rushing Simon Church to smash the ball into the net past the poor goalkeeper.

• Options
    Don't know why for one minute you would try to make a penalty any easier (if it does make it easier at all)

Its free shot into a large area 12yrds out, not very hard at all imo.

• Options

Don't know why for one minute you would try to make a penalty any easier (if it does make it easier at all)

Its free shot into a large area 12yrds out, not very hard at all imo.

This was my first thought, doing little 'tricks' like this make it much, much harder, surely?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I don't understand the need to do anything other thn have a direct shot on goal from a penalty. It's a 50/50 chance of scoring, so why risk cocking it up?

Nicky Bailey could show them a thing or two from the spot. That's if they find the ball from the Swindon play off game.
  • Options

I don't understand the need to do anything other that have a direct shot on goal from a penalty. It's a 50/50 chance of scoring, so why jeopardise it?

98/02 chance of scoring.

anybody 50/50 chance of scoring would not be taking one for me!!!!
  • Options
    yeah this could be a great thing in a penalty shoot out, why not involve the whole team?
  • Options
    Second pass offside?
  • Options
    Or is it whoosh?
  • Options
    Kiely#1 said:

Second pass offside?

To me it looks like Cruyff is behind the ball as Olsen hits it back across - so onside.