Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Happy St Edmund's Day - The True Patron Saint of England

Comments

• Options
    Is he the same as that Blackadder geezer?
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

"St Edmund was the first patron saint of England who was later replaced by St George.

St Edmund, also known as Edmund the Martyr, was the king of East Anglia in the ninth century (c. 855) and was killed by pagan Danish invaders on 20 November 869.

There are many legends surrounding St Edmund and how he met his end against the invading Vikings. Legend has it that on being captured, Edmund refused to renounce his Christian faith and was taken to the village of Hoxne in Suffolk. Here, it is believed that he was tied to a tree and hundreds of arrows were shot at him, was beheaded and his head thrown into the woods. The folklore continues that his head was later found, while being guarded by a wolf who was calling ‘here, here’ to those searching. It is also said that when St Edmund’s head was placed in his coffin it miraculously reattached itself to his body with only a red line around his neck as evidence of any injury."
  • Options
    If we have to have a Patron Saint then St Edmund would get my vote over St George.

Both, in my opinion, would/should be beaten by St Alban though.
  • Options
    St Edmund is a good shout. St George is a bit of tart if you ask me. He's patron saint to loads of countries (not to mention being patron saint of syphillis sufferers!!) Is this really the sort of character we want to be associated with?!
  • Options
    I'm not having some Kiwi as my patron saint!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I don't mind if it's St George or St Edmund, let's make it a public holiday though!
  • Options
    God bless him. Rumour has it he only went out for a paper as well!
  • Options
    Who was St Crispin then?
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Who was St Crispin then?

Him and his brother got duffed in on 25 October by the Romans

Then about a 1000 years later the French got duffed in by the English on St Crispin and Crispinian's day
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

God bless him. Rumour has it he only went out for a paper as well!

Sunday Sport I hope.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

If we have to have a Patron Saint then St Edmund would get my vote over St George.

Both, in my opinion, would/should be beaten by St Alban though.

There's only one way to find out...
  • Options

I don't mind if it's St George or St Edmund, let's make it a public holiday though!

If it's going to be a holiday we should have both chaps in our stable of Patron saints.
  • Options

Solidgone said:

"St Edmund was the first patron saint of England who was later replaced by St George.

St Edmund, also known as Edmund the Martyr, was the king of East Anglia in the ninth century (c. 855) and was killed by pagan Danish invaders on 20 November 869.

There are many legends surrounding St Edmund and how he met his end against the invading Vikings. Legend has it that on being captured, Edmund refused to renounce his Christian faith and was taken to the village of Hoxne in Suffolk. Here, it is believed that he was tied to a tree and hundreds of arrows were shot at him, was beheaded and his head thrown into the woods. The folklore continues that his head was later found, while being guarded by a wolf who was calling ‘here, here’ to those searching. It is also said that when St Edmund’s head was placed in his coffin it miraculously reattached itself to his body with only a red line around his neck as evidence of any injury."
    Is that a no........? ;o)
  • Options
    I think we should probably give our national day to King Alfred because it is my understanding he was the driving force between uniting Mercia, Cent, Wessex, Northumberland & East Anglia into the United Kingdom
  • Options
    Depends how far we want to go back ......... my nomination is King Arthur as the true patron saint of post-Romano Britain.

Very decent goalscorer, he was too.

• Options
    cabbles said:

I think we should probably give our national day to King Alfred because it is my understanding he was the driving force between uniting Mercia, Cent, Wessex, Northumberland & East Anglia into the United Kingdom

I'd go for Alf.
  • Options
    I don't think kings count as patron saints!

What else did Edmund achieve apart from getting captured, shot to bits and de-capitated? I'm not feeling inspired. Now, slaying a dragon, on the other hand...
  • Options

I don't think kings count as patron saints!

Oh, yes they do ........ "St Edmund, also known as Edmund the Martyr, was the king of East Anglia".

;o)
  • Options
    Had a few beers to toast St Edmund last night! :-/