Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

6-10-2 or 10-0-8?

As we all know, we are drawing too many games. There's the knowledge that if half of our draws had been converted to wins, we would be standing proudly at the top now. But, 6 wins 10 draws and 2 losses is pretty good. The question is: would you have preferred 10 wins, 0 draws and 8 losses?

Unquestionably, 30 points are better than 28, but it would mean that on 8 occasions we had been beaten and that would mean 8 inquests into what is wrong, 8 reasons to shuffle the pack, 8 teams that are better than us etc. etc.

6-10-2 is pretty impressive to my mind and accurately reflects we have not got quite enough to win games, but are nonetheless pretty solid. Do you agree?

Comments

• Options
    Give me 30 over 28 all day long
    But understand where you are coming from
  • Options
    Or if half those draws had been defeats we'd have five points less.
  • Options

As we all know, we are drawing too many games. There's the knowledge that if half of our draws had been converted to wins, we would be standing proudly at the top now. But, 6 wins 10 draws and 2 losses is pretty good. The question is: would you have preferred 10 wins, 0 draws and 8 losses?

Unquestionably, 30 points are better than 28, but it would mean that on 8 occasions we had been beaten and that would mean 8 inquests into what is wrong, 8 reasons to shuffle the pack, 8 teams that are better than us etc. etc.

6-10-2 is pretty impressive to my mind and accurately reflects we have not got quite enough to win games, but are nonetheless pretty solid. Do you agree?

This probably doesn't make any sense but I think that if we had been beaten 8 times, we wouldn't have won 10. Basically what I'm saying is, it's very rare for a team to have that sort of a record this far into the season. If they've won 10, then they wouldn't have lost 8 and vice versa.

Also, the amount of draws doesn't bother me given my personal expectations at the start of the season and the capability of our squad.

For example, a lot of people would've left the game on Saturday disappointed that we didn't win (I certainly did, as we never beat them), but we keep the points ticking over. That is the key
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I suffer from some sort of personality disorder that means I just want us not to lose. I think I'd settle for a draw every time, though if that actually happened we'd presumably get relegated.
    When I was a kid, if Charlton took the lead I would ask if we could go home now and I haven't really lost that attitude. I actually missed Brighton's equaliser earlier this season because I had left, so as far as I'm concerned we won that game.
  • Options
    Thought this was about formations.... My maths is bad.
  • Options
    A 6-10-2 record does indeed show that we are very solid. It also suggests that the margins between success and failure in our games have been very thin. It wouldn't take much to turn some of those draws into wins, or defeats if we're being realistic.

The statistic which says most about our performances to date is our goals for and against.

Only Derby, Middlesbrough and Wednesday have conceded fewer goals than we have, but only Blackpool, Wigan, Rotherham, Birmingham, Millwall and Wednesday have scored fewer.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

I opened this fully expecting it to be about locomotive wheel arrangement designations.....

Trainspotter

• Options
    Uboat said:

I suffer from some sort of personality disorder that means I just want us not to lose. I think I'd settle for a draw every time, though if that actually happened we'd presumably get relegated.
    When I was a kid, if Charlton took the lead I would ask if we could go home now and I haven't really lost that attitude. I actually missed Brighton's equaliser earlier this season because I had left, so as far as I'm concerned we won that game.

I'm of the same mind set.
  • Options
    Talal said:

We still wouldn't beat Millwall if we played 6-10-2 ):
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Talal said:

We still wouldn't beat Millwall if we played 6-10-2 ):
  • Options
    Trouble is defeats can damage morale and can be the start of poor runs within a team (just look at us when we were first relegated from the Premier League... One of the reasons was because of the losing run we went on between November and December) - At least by drawing the players can have the mindset that they're tough to beat
  • Options

Trouble is defeats can damage morale and can be the start of poor runs within a team (just look at us when we were first relegated from the Premier League... One of the reasons was because of the losing run we went on between November and December) - At least by drawing the players can have the mindset that they're tough to beat

Spot on.

Losing can become a habit - so can not losing.
  • Options
    More points is better but 6-10-2 shows with the right signing or two we could really improve, in the way Yann for Hayes made a big difference. The obvious one is a striker alongside Igor. A good midfielder could also make a real difference.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

I opened this fully expecting it to be about locomotive wheel arrangement designations.....

In that case I'd settle for the 6-10-2 because a 10-0-8 would take us nowhere!
  • Options
    I think that 6-10-2 shows that Bob is setting us up as very hard to beat. That is a very good mindset to get into the players and sets a great base to build from. The next piece to the puzzle will come this January, in my opinion, when he'll tap RD to pony up so we can build on that base. Obviously a good strike partner for Igor and maybe a creative midfielder although I think we're getting pretty solid in that area.

I like the way we're going. As I've said before, Rome wasn't built in a day.
  • Options
    Sometimes a draw can 'feel' as good as a win.
    A loss never does.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

I'm exactly the same think it started with the 3-3 QPR home game in 67-68 I think 3-1down with a few mins to go.I also missed Brighton s late equaliser this season
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    A game is never lost until it is won, unless of course it is a draw!

Learnt my lesson on leaving games as a young lad early in 1963 (albeit beyond my control) May18th to be precise. Cliff Durandt scored an injury time winner v Saints to give us a chance of avoiding relegation provided we won away at Walsall 6 days later. Somehow we achieved the impossible winning 2-1 to relegate them instead.It's never been an easy ride following the Addicks!

So as long as we maintain our present status whilst we rebuild I don't care how many draws we accumulate, it beats getting beat if you know what I mean. :-)
  • Options
    Redskin said:

Sometimes a draw can 'feel' as good as a win.
    A loss never does.

You tell that to my son. Coming away from the Birmingham home match last month (1-1) he was moaning that he felt that we had lost & it was going to spoil the rest of his weekend & last Sat he was in tears when George missed that last minute effort saying that all he wanted was a win.........

the 10-0-8 would give us 2 extra points so MUST be better, As I've said before, you could draw every game & get relegated, so you need to win games. Too many 0-0 & 1-1 draws this season tells me we are not very prolific up front.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2014
    People can rue the plethora of draws but if we look at this as the first five months of a squad built for at least two years then it's a solid platform. We've gone from bottom six to top half in six months!

As others have noted, the business we do in January and how we perform in the return fixtures will determine our end of season points total and league position.

Fixing a lack of goalscoring is expensive given that our academy produces defenders and midfielders. We are talking £3-4m to improve.

But fixing a leaky defence can cost a lot more and often costs the head coach his job. The score on Saturday may have been the same as Riga's first away game last March but it was our friends from New Cross who were celebrating at the end.

If our club can continue this impressive rate of progress seen since the takeove, then we should all enjoy the ride. Sooner or later we need to win comfortably against bottom half sides and that obviously needs more goal threat.
  • Options
    How many of those draws were from winning positions?
  • Options
    10 draws - 2x 0-0 - 5draws from being in front

shows we are not closing out games poss
  • Options
    As long as we don't end the season with 6-38-2, we should be fine.
  • Options

As long as we don't end the season with 6-38-2, we should be fine.

We'd have finished 16th with that record last season, which would be disappointing, but on the plus side we could release a DVD of our home games called 'Invincible'.