Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pele (ed. RIP)

Comments

• Options
    For a guy who started playing with tied together socks to achieve what he did in the game is incredible.

RIP to a legend 
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    Pele RIP an absolute football legend
  • Options
    Very few of us saw the best of him but those who did rhapsodised about him. A true great. RIP. 
  • Options
    Fantastic footballer and a proper football legend. Didn't have to roll over like the so-called latter-day legends. RIP great man.
  • Options
    Football is smaller tonight. Condolences to his family and the football fans of Brasil.

• Options
    Revolutionary. Pelé, you are the greatest of all time. RIP.
  • Options
    Just got home to hear this sad news......a little bit before my time (to have seen Pele at his best) but respect to those that know....RIP.
  • Options
    RIP Pele!
    A true legend!
  • Options
    RIP. 
  • Options
    Probably only second to Muhammad Ali as a global sporting icon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rest in peace Pele
    He was football's second name
  • Options
    Just a fabulous, fabulous player. RIP you absolute legend.
  • Options
    RIP Pele Legend 🙌
  • Options
    We all knew it was coming but it doesn't lessen the sense of loss I'm feeling - but also the joy to have lived on this earth at the same time as Pele.

I'll suspend my totally irrational, emotional, and hugely subjective view of George Best - and say that Pele was easily the greatest footballer ever to grace the game. 1970 will be forever etched into my brain - the man had everything and as young Erland has so profoundly said, Pele did everything and more long before the players who came after him have claims to have done.

Rest in Peace, a boyhood hero and the football God amongst anyone compared to him.
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    His number 10 shirt will probably be not be used again.

Sleep well.
  • Options
    I know I go on about my home town (top of the league) team Dumbarton too much on here but when they introduced their first ever mascot Pellie the Elephant (sadly sacked a few years later for baring his bum to the MorTEN fans) fully 30 years after 1970 not even the youngest fans didn't get the reference, such was his influence.
  • Options
    Seemed like a perfect gentleman, definitely a perfect footballer. RIP.
  • Options
    Obviously never saw him play but saw this video and whilst the skills are great, the best thing for me (from about 2 minutes) are the free kicks. Hits one with his right, and then two others with his left. Never seen a player do that before in my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ch4d2PTkKg
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What a player, the best EVER and a gentleman as well. There is no argument about him being an icon that'll live down the generations.....thank you sir for exciting the millions that watched you......absolute legend.....RIP xx
  • Options
    RIP. Best ever. 

There’s a video going around on social media showing best moments of all the best players doing amazing things, Maradona, Messi, Ronaldo, Zidane, Cruyff and then immediately after it shows Pele had already done it. He had everything. Scored 5 goals between the SF and Final in a World Cup as a 17 year old.
  • Options
    Owns the word Legend… RIP
  • Options
    Nug said:
    RIP. Best ever. 

There’s a video going around on social media showing best moments of all the best players doing amazing things, Maradona, Messi, Ronaldo, Zidane, Cruyff and then immediately after it shows Pele had already done it. He had everything. Scored 5 goals between the SF and Final in a World Cup as a 17 year old.

One of the things that makes Pele the greatest to have ever played for me is the breath of his talent. There was no weaknesses in his game. From the flicks and tricks, to visionary passing, to dribbling, to finishing to free kicks to heading. He had Messi/Ronaldo/Maradona levels in all these things and more.

And he did all this on pitches ranging from rock hard to quagmires whilst having lumps kicked out of him. I know nostalgia makes us see things differently but, for me, he'll never be bettered. 
  • Options
    The first "best player in the world". RIP.   
  • Options
    A great skillful player one of the best for sure.  Always seemed a Gent in interviews. A true legend.

RIP Pele.
  • Options
    legend, perhaps the very first global football superstar .. R I P
  • Options
    legend, perhaps the very first global football superstar .. R I P
    Definitely this.
    I remember Dad telling me early on that if I really wanted to like football I had to know who Pele was.
    Didn’t have the benefit of the internet back then so had to wait & watch out for any snippets shown on tv.
    Blew my mind the first time I saw him, mainly because he looked so old 😳🤣
    RIP Sir and thank you 💔
  • Options
    RIP to the third (chronologically) 'Worlds Best Footballer'.
  • Options
    TrIbute on ITV news.