Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Robbie Savage on Arsene Wenger

Reading this, I heard echoes of the end of the Curbishley era. Good is not good enough. All well and good if there is an agreed-upon plan going forward, but history shows that Arsenal has to get both the appointment, and the timing right.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/robbie-savage-arsenal-im-arsene-4707896

Comments

• Options
    True, all of that. Says he's a Wenger fan, but 4th and out in the round of 16 each year is getting stale. To be fair, it's a tempting conclusion for supporters who grew accustomed to more, but as we all know it's a dangerous one.
  • Options
    Arsenals' owners seem to be happy with the situation. If they fail to qualify for the CL though, that may change.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:

Arsenals' owners seem to be happy with the situation. If they fail to qualify for the CL though, that may change.

From their position can you blame them? You have a manager who seems reluctant to spend massive amounts of money yet each year they get champs league and the riches that come with it. For them, why change anything?

I can see the fans' point of view though, it must be frustrating knowing you are getting milked each season but the club not progressing.
  • Options
    If I was head of recruitment at Arsenal I would probably pitch it as

'Come to Arsenal, qualify for the CL group stage for 17 consecutive seasons, don't worry about cluttering up your mantle piece with winners medals and you will get injured more than you have at any other club'

That's the sum of what happens at that club.
  • Options
    what Arsene Wenger has to say about Robbie Savage ......

"Qui ?"
  • Options
    It makes me so angry that just when a twat like Mark Lawrenson is coming to the end of his broadcasting career they employ someone even more irritating . ( If that's possible)
    Savage mumbles his way through everything he says and he only has the job because he's pally with the presenters he works with.
    I can't listen to him .
  • Options
    se9addick said:

It's something that's puzzled me for a while - why do we seem so reliant on having former pro's act as analysts of the game in this country ? In other countries, and in American sports, they are happy for people who have never played the sport but are articulate and able to disseminate the finer details to do the punditry work. We have Robbie Savage.

There are absolutely some ex players who are brilliant at marrying their insight into the game with the ability to articulate their point to the viewer, but the BBC (and others) woefully under use brilliant journalists like Tim Vickery and Paul Sarahs on their payroll by subjecting us to this nonsense.

Thankfully I think the tide is beginning to turn, BT's coverage of the European leagues is excellent. People knowledgeable enough about the leagues and intelligent enough to form coherent sentences.

I feel the reason Savage gets employed is basically to troll us. It's working as well, look at us all commenting on him. TV producers feel that they will need an "anti" persona within their pundits just to disagree with what the majority of us are saying. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing but when the best you can come up with is Savage then questions need to be asked.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

It's something that's puzzled me for a while - why do we seem so reliant on having former pro's act as analysts of the game in this country ? In other countries, and in American sports, they are happy for people who have never played the sport but are articulate and able to disseminate the finer details to do the punditry work. We have Robbie Savage.

There are absolutely some ex players who are brilliant at marrying their insight into the game with the ability to articulate their point to the viewer, but the BBC (and others) woefully under use brilliant journalists like Tim Vickery and Paul Sarahs on their payroll by subjecting us to this nonsense.

Off topic a wee bit .. the BBC has the same approach to its rugby coverage .. Eddie Butler and Brian Moore are the worst commentary team on any sport and, I would wager, in any nation on this planet .. but being the Beeb, we will be stuck with the Savages, Butlers, spluttering incoherent Moores and all the rest of the 'I played once for England/Wales/Ireland/Scotland U 15s so I know wot I am talking about' crew, until they pop their clogs or dementia sets in .. In Moore's case the latter has already had effect, too many bangs to the head
  • Options
    Don't read or listen to anything from Robbie Savage.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

se9addick said:

Thankfully I think the tide is beginning to turn, BT's coverage of the European leagues is excellent. People knowledgeable enough about the leagues and intelligent enough to form coherent sentences.

I feel the reason Savage gets employed is basically to troll us. It's working as well, look at us all commenting on him. TV producers feel that they will need an "anti" persona within their pundits just to disagree with what the majority of us are saying. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing but when the best you can come up with is Savage then questions need to be asked.
    You're right actually - BT is a lot better, James Richardson etc - I'm sure that's only for the European leagues though, for the Premier League stuff the coverage isn't as insightful. It's a shame they too use the Savvage/Fletcher combo on their Saturday morning show as a serious football show in that time slot is desperately needed.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

colthe3rd said:

se9addick said:

You're right actually - BT is a lot better, James Richardson etc - I'm sure that's only for the European leagues though, for the Premier League stuff the coverage isn't as insightful. It's a shame they too use the Savvage/Fletcher combo on their Saturday morning show as a serious football show in that time slot is desperately needed.
    Yeah true, although some of the pundits they get for PL games aren't too bad. I quite like McManaman, Hargreaves is ok as was James when he did it. Generally though I'd like to see some more insight rather than a name as such.
  • Options
    I actually think Arsenal do need to ditch Wenger. Yes,they might qualify for the Champions League every year but they are nowhere near a title-winning side and his reluctance to invest in top quality defenders and a goalkeeper have cost Arsenal.
  • Options

I actually think Arsenal do need to ditch Wenger. Yes,they might qualify for the Champions League every year but they are nowhere near a title-winning side and his reluctance to invest in top quality defenders and a goalkeeper have cost Arsenal.

stating/asking the bleedin' obvious .. who of any stature is going to replace him right now ? .. a change of 'Monarch' and/or regime is always a very tricky business be it ancient Rome or Ancient Wenger .. the Arsenal job is one of the biggest managerial roles in the sporting world and will need a special individual to handle it properly when Wenger goes .. of course it will happen someday .. Manchester United made the mistake of not having an 'apprentice' in line to take over from Ferguson .. Arsenal will surely be wary of making the same mistake
  • Options

stating/asking the bleedin' obvious .. who of any stature is going to replace him right now ? .. a change of 'Monarch' and/or regime is always a very tricky business be it ancient Rome or Ancient Wenger .. the Arsenal job is one of the biggest managerial roles in the sporting world and will need a special individual to handle it properly when Wenger goes .. of course it will happen someday .. Manchester United made the mistake of not having an 'apprentice' in line to take over from Ferguson .. Arsenal will surely be wary of making the same mistake
    I meant he should leave at the end of the season, not immediately. Manchester Utd's mistake could be Arsenal's gain. They will have seen that and will not make the same mistake. Plus, Utd had been winning trophies and league titles, Arsenal haven't. There will be plenty of top managers interested in that job.
  • Options

I meant he should leave at the end of the season, not immediately. Manchester Utd's mistake could be Arsenal's gain. They will have seen that and will not make the same mistake. Plus, Utd had been winning trophies and league titles, Arsenal haven't. There will be plenty of top managers interested in that job.
    and of course as Man U had a long record of success, Moyes (or whoever took the job) was on a hiding to nothing .. the Arsenal 'new man', as, if and when he comes in might not be under the same pressure as Moyes, but the expectations will still be huge
  • Options
    17 consecutive years in the CL, new stadium paid for, club operates at a profit. Arsenal have quite rightly not chased after trophies with the sort of money Manure, Chelski and Citeh have spent.

Wenger will leave Arsenal when Wenger decides to leave Arsenal - he's more than earned that right in my opinion.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

17 consecutive years in the CL, new stadium paid for, club operates at a profit. Arsenal have quite rightly not chased after trophies with the sort of money Manure, Chelski and Citeh have spent.

Wenger will leave Arsenal when Wenger decides to leave Arsenal - he's more than earned that right in my opinion.

Tend to agree, and I think Arsenal will be very lucky if they don't have to deal with at least a couple of lean (non-Champions League) seasons in the aftermath of his departure. I think that keeping them in the top 4 whilst the stadium was paid off, despite selling the majority of their high value players, was a magnificent achievement. Having said that, I don't understand why he hasn't strengthened them defensively now that they seem to have significant funds available.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

and of course as Man U had a long record of success, Moyes (or whoever took the job) was on a hiding to nothing .. the Arsenal 'new man', as, if and when he comes in might not be under the same pressure as Moyes, but the expectations will still be huge
    True, but they're huge now and Wenger isn't living up to them. I honestly think Arsenal will get it right when the time comes.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I'm not sure anymore Bob. I agree in the most part, he's built a great club, but the longer he stays there the worst it's going to get. I think he's out of touch now. What can he offer world class talent who want to win trophies. His sales pitch is as I've stated above, come to Arsenal, we don't win much, but we qualify for the CL (group stage) every year, you'll probably be injured at some point.

For me it's a bit like saying I've turned up for work everyday for the past 17 years, I had some results in the first 9 years, but mainly I'm just in on time now and never off sick.
  • Options
    I cannot think of many more people in the World that I detest more so than Robbie Savage.
  • Options

I cannot think of many more people in the World that I detest more so than Robbie Savage.

me too but he'll do for starters .. anyway detest is the wrong word .. I'm amazed that this clueless bullying non-entity has bluffed his way into a job for life .. amazed and a wee bit admiring .. how does he do it ?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    They'll regret it. Look at Liverpool, Tottenham and Utd. Top 4 is more of an achievement that their fans realise, and Arsene delivers year after year. I'm not overly keen on the guy, but nobody can argue against the fact that he is a brilliant manager.
  • Options
    Massive Wenger fan, job he's done is different class, hope he leaves so I wish ill of Arsenal even more than I currently do. With the spending power of United, Chelsea & City who are already better than them means nothing is garuanteed even if they do spend 100 million next year.
  • Options
    Its a fair article really, even if youre not keen on savage he makes fair points. Im not his greatest fan either, and that commentary in that exeter fa cup the other week was ridiculous tbh.

And we cant mention people stealing a living on the bbc without mentioning garth crooks... what an absolute tool. Makes my blood boil