Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stephen Hawking: "the cybermen are coming..."

So, the great man has publically stated something I've been picking up from the odd tech/ futures presentation for a while - we are getting close to developing such advanced artificial intelligence that it will out-evolve us and spell the end of the human race.

Quite a terrifying idea when you think about it - but I'll still just focus on when Buyens might be fit and whether RD will splash the cash in January. (Seems he'd better hurry up, though!)

Comments

• Basically, Skynet is coming and there's nothing we can do to stop it.
  • funny I was at UCL Monday night for a Rise of the Machines seminar by Thomas Rid

• Quite a terrifying idea when you think about it - but I'll still just focus on when Buyens might be fit and whether RD will splash the cash in January. (Seems he'd better hurry up, though!)

Wish RD would hurry up and clone us another striker.

Evidently the current Tucadean Mk 1 project which has been trialled across the network still needs a few flaws ironing out - like scoring goals, for example.

• Good. See if they can do a better job of things.
    Hopefully they'll start by doing what we can't and get rid of the dregs holding back society and evolution.
  • Rizzo said:

Basically, Skynet is coming and there's nothing we can do to stop it.

we tried *sniff*

• Do you think the machines will keep us as pets or slaves, or will they just exterminate us?
  • Do you think the machines politicans will keep us as pets or slaves, or will they just exterminate us?

That's a good question, Weegie.

• they are bound to be based on Microsoft technology, so will stop and whirr aimlessly half the time, get clogged up and run slowly, or just be useless for their purpose
  • edited December 2014
    We're centuries away from understanding 'awareness' by any realistic definition, let alone being able to engender it in any machine. By some definitions of it, machines are already far more 'intelligent' than we are - the problem is, those 'definitions' bear as much resemblance to what you or I would consider 'intelligence' as a turd does to a butterfly.

I wish pop science journalism wasn't used for sensationalist purposes. Just because we're only a couple of decades away from having the technical capability to make a machine that has the processing power of the human brain and can mimic our thought processes, doesn't somehow mean we can make an 'intelligence' in any sense you or I are familiar with. It's not just a matter of reaching a specific level of computing power and automatically flicking a switch that makes something 'be'.
  • Sponsored links:

• "The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race.
    it would take off on it's own, and re-design itself at an ever increasing rate.
    humans who are limited by slow biogical evolution, couldn't compete, and would be superseded."

Coming from a man with a broken body, and someone i have always felt in awe of.
    The Irony of what is being stated is mind blowing. (man or machine)

2001 a space odyssey, still the most amazing film i've ever seen.
  • @Addicted just beat me to it... Its like the Nike ad where Robets replace the Footballers and games become boring because no mistakes or human emotion is used...

We'll all be clammoring for Morgan Fox to return then
  • Addicted said:

They're not there yet

To be fair, that's a quality strike. Keeper had no chance
  • Reckon Church might be able to score past that...
  • Addicted said:

They're not there yet

Wasnt that the Notts County game at the valley 2011/12?
  • edited December 2014
    That was the Everton V Wimbledon game which kept Everton up.
  • I thought that was pawell abbot shooting
  • That was the Everton V Wimbledon game which kept Everton up.

How dare you undermine the greatest moment of Graham Stuart's career ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• So, the great man has publically stated something I've been picking up from the odd tech/ futures presentation for a while - we are getting close to developing such advanced artificial intelligence that it will out-evolve us and spell the end of the human race.

Quite a terrifying idea when you think about it - but I'll still just focus on when Buyens might be fit and whether RD will splash the cash in January. (Seems he'd better hurry up, though!)

Nothing to do with promoting his movie then?
  • edited December 2014
    Addicted said:

They're not there yet

Rob Elliot 2.0
  • Addicted said:

They're not there yet

Rob Elliot 2.0
    I was gonna say Thuram, but at least the robot went the right way...........
  • Do you reckon the Robot was trying to replicate this celebration?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMSyaxV1T7U
  • Did anyone see Elementary on Tuesday night (American version of Sherlock Holmes), where they covered the same subject of AI. Some of it made you think, especially when they said mankind could be wiped out in no time as computers would take over everything we need to live on, I presume, meaning: food processing, heating, fresh water, etc. all things they do not need and shut them down.
  • You can forget your cybermen, artificial intelligence, drone attacks and killer robots. As far as I can see, the most terrifying technology looming on our horizon in the Liberace Hologram.