Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

best santana album?

caravanserai, without question!

Comments

• Options

Abraxas for me, but to each his own.
  • Options
    Album??

I thought it was a sports channel......
  • Options
    Def Caravanserai - brilliant and groundbreaking.
  • Options
    Abraxas - if only for Samba Pa Ti and the time I saw someone at a party play it on the guitar. Which inspired me to listen to more Sanatana - and to learn to play that track myself.
  • Options
    Caravanserai for me too. Still play it, especially on holiday in Croatia where I first heard it.
  • Options

Def Caravanserai - brilliant and groundbreaking.

agree, still great today.
  • Options
    Tough one, I'd have to say....The Best of Santana. :-)

http://youtu.be/AbMSUQE36us
  • Options

yes I asked for that one, very good.
  • Options
    samba pa ti is the song everyone tends to quote but they were so much more and better than that one track. maybe I'm biased as spt was the smoochie one to play at parties and as I was too bloody shy to be a hit with the lady's tended to sit that one out;-((
  • Options
    I was just thinking this strange thread won't make double figures and there I've made it happen!
    Great band though.
    Probably Abraxus imo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I was just thinking this strange thread won't make double figures and there I've made it happen!
    Great band though.
    Probably Abraxus imo

well done to you.
  • Options
    Would be interested in others' favourite tracks from later albums. I love the first two tracks from Veracruz, thought it was going to be a huge return to form when I first heard it, but the rest of the album wasn't much.
  • Options
    For depth and soul I go for Welcome... but I love all the early albums for different reasons
  • Options
    both welcome and borbaletta are good but just not quite there.
  • Options

yes I asked for that one, very good.
    Any excuse to crowbar a bit of Partridge into a thread!
  • Options
    Caravanarasi for me.
  • Options
    I thought Abraxus was v good
  • Options
    Has Santa ever made an album ? or Santander for that matter......
  • Options
    Anyone still got Santana first album with the Lions heads ? One of the most iconic album covers ever - up there with Pink Floyds Prism.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    The first five albums were all superb :
    Santana (@The_President .. I have this but only on CD)
    Abraxas
    III (Man with Outstretched hand)
    Caravanserai
    Welcome .. The band went downhill when Greg Rollie and Neal Schoen left and Carlos went all religious and vegan

Best: 1) Abraxas (one of the best albums by anybody ever)
    2) III
    3) Caravanserai
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RobRob
    edited December 2014

Anyone still got Santana first album with the Lions heads ? One of the most iconic album covers ever - up there with Pink Floyds Prism.

Lions heads? There are faces/heads all over that cover, plus an African maiden in a grass skirt right in the middle.

I would also, probably, say caravanserai is right up there at the top (one of the most recognizable opening few bars of any album I would say). However, the first album has Jingo and the classic Soul Sacrifice, Also, the more recent Supernatural is one sexy album I think (Smooth, Maria Maria. Put Your Lights On).

I've just dug out a vinyl LP I have here - 'Love, Devotion, Surrender' with Carlos Santana and Mahavishnu John McLaughlin. I've probably not played that for 35 years. I'll have to give it a go. :-)

• Options
    Rob said:

Lions heads? There are faces/heads all over that cover, plus an African maiden in a grass skirt right in the middle.

I would also, probably, say caravanserai is right up there at the top (one of the most recognizable opening few bars of any album I would say). However, the first album has Jingo and the classic Soul Sacrifice, Also, the more recent Supernatural is one sexy album I think (Smooth, Maria Maria. Put Your Lights On).

I've just dug out a vinyl LP I have here - 'Love, Devotion, Surrender' with Carlos Santana and Mahavishnu John McLaughlin. I've probably not played that for 35 years. I'll have to give it a go. :-)

like it.

love devotion and surrender was also a track on the welcome album.
    i never bothered with Carlos's collaborations maybe I should have let me know how it sounds.
  • Options
    Do Carlos and McLaughlin do a cover of A Love Supreme on Love, Devotion, Surrender?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2IpZb3osxY&feature=player_embedded

They did .. and here it is .. well a live version some years after
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Rob said:

like it.

i never bothered with Carlos's collaborations maybe I should have let me know how it sounds.
    the 'Love devotion and Surrender' on Welcome is not related to anything too 'jazzy' .. it is a very nice melodic piece with terrific piano work and vocals from Carlos, the late Leon Thomas and Wendy Haas, Mike Shrieves' wife '' like this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp3jDl2t1kw&feature=player_embedded
  • Options

The first five albums were all superb :
    Santana (@The_President .. I have this but only on CD)
    Abraxas
    III (Man with Outstretched hand)
    Caravanserai
    Welcome .. The band went downhill when Greg Rollie and Neal Schoen left and Carlos went all religious and vegan

Best: 1) Abraxas (one of the best albums by anybody ever)
    2) III
    3) Caravanserai

I agree more or less, though I have forgotten what's on III. I love Greg Rollie's keyboard work with Santana, wasted in Journey which is where he and Neal Schoen went off to. I played Caravanserai on Sunday after reading this thread and his solo on "All the Love in the Universe" is still stop-what-you're-doing-and-listen stuff. That track is an example of what sounds to me like music too "big" for your speakers. So much going on. Early Killers being another example. If anyone understands what I mean….

Carlos finally came to Prague in 2010. Started with Jingo and went on for three hours...
  • Options

Rob said:

like it.

the 'Love devotion and Surrender' on Welcome is not related to anything too 'jazzy' .. it is a very nice melodic piece with terrific piano work and vocals from Carlos, the late Leon Thomas and Wendy Haas, Mike Shrieves' wife '' like this :

looks like i'll have to re buy welcome, haven't heard that for quite a few years, thanks.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Rob said:

like it.

Whoah, whoah. Leon Thomas the jazz vocalist who worked with Pharoah Sanders?

• Options
    hawksmoor said:

Rob said:

like it.

Whoah, whoah. Leon Thomas the jazz vocalist who worked with Pharoah Sanders?

the very one .. alas he died back in 1999