Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bexley Strategy 2018.

edited December 2014 in Not Sports Related
It makes pretty depressing reading. Especially clause 22 where they propose to sell off park land for development.
Half the saving would come from selling half of one site. It makes you think whether the target could be Danson Park.I did not know that you could sell off green space but what do i know.
The survey is a bit of a beast I am afraid.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/strategy2018

Comments

• Options
    They have published details of all the proposed sites - including the grounds of Hurst Place in Hurst Road, among several others.
  • Options

They have published details of all the proposed sites - including the grounds of Hurst Place in Hurst Road, among several others.

Thankyou. I will have a closer look.

• Options
    @Valiantphil‌ where did you see this? Grateful for a link.

All i can see is they plan to dispose of up to 27 out of 106 green spaces. That's worrying.
  • Options
    And please disagree with closing the Belvedere Splashpark. There is a campaign to save it but every little helps
  • Options
    the planning situation in this country is currently a mess. We, a small village in East Sussex, are currently fighting off the first proposed development of many. This development is for 55 houses but if approved will open the floodgates. There are 9 other sites already identified. Our village could double in size. It's madness.
  • Options
    I found something about it on here:

http://www.bexleywildlife.org/open-spaces-sell-off-openness-bexley-council-and-the-phantom-list-it-now-declines-to-make-public/

Aparently the 27 bits of land have already been sold and looks like they are small patches here and there so not part of the 106 green spaces.

But that link suggests they have a list drawn up that includes actual park land that they refuse to make public. That is worrying.

I thought they couldnt touch greenbelt land?!?
  • Options
    Grew up in Bexley and my Dad (who is in the process of selling) is still in the house there he lived in with my Mum.

It's just not the same anymore. Whenever I come back to visit it just doesn't have the same feel. Drove home on a Saturday night through Bexley Village and the place was teeming with drunk chavs. Where did they all come from? It used to be a really nice little high street. I got out when I move to South west Surrey 10 years back and Dad will follow suit.

Makes me sad when I go back as I loved living there as a kid but the place has changed.

Mainly quoting Bexley here, as it shocked me. Bexleyheath was a bit Chavtastic anyway but I guess has now gone off the scale.
  • Options
    People don't realise the doggy doo that all LA's are in. Have been told that there'll be 40% of the workforce going in Bromley. Most support services will be commissioned out to the private sector and frontline service managers will have to take on more responsibility. Staff are already at breaking point. I'd quite happily take redundancy and go and find a job at M&S. it'll be less stressful
  • Options

Grew up in Bexley and my Dad (who is in the process of selling) is still in the house there he lived in with my Mum.

It's just not the same anymore. Whenever I come back to visit it just doesn't have the same feel. Drove home on a Saturday night through Bexley Village and the place was teeming with drunk chavs. Where did they all come from? It used to be a really nice little high street. I got out when I move to South west Surrey 10 years back and Dad will follow suit.

Makes me sad when I go back as I loved living there as a kid but the place has changed.

Mainly quoting Bexley here, as it shocked me. Bexleyheath was a bit Chavtastic anyway but I guess has now gone off the scale.

Same here we moved out the village nearly non years ago.. went back last summer as was playing cricket at hall place.. After the game we popped into the village for a pint and was shocked by how it had become.. It seemed very Essex..
  • Options
    Public consultation pah!! Decisions will already have been made and the little toe-rags will be merely ticking the "public consultation" box on the project plan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cheers Pettgra, it is a lengthy survey, but worth a read.
  • Options

Cheers Pettgra, it is a lengthy survey, but worth a read.

You are welcome. I agree, it was weighty I wonder how much that cost to produce.
    I agree with 1905 though. I reckon they have made their mind up already.
  • Options
    Okay, flog off public land for development - bring in some funding required because of Government cutbacks.

Then what, in 5 years time, when more funding is required because of more Government cutbacks?

Public land is a finite resource.
    The local authority is trusted to be the guardian of that land.

Otherwise there will be precious little public land for the next generation.

• Options
    At least someones doing all right out of it.

http://www.bexley.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=6814

• Options
    edited December 2014
    "Mr Tuckley is paid an annual salary scale that starts on £161,490 and ends at £185,397 with potential to earn a non-consolidated one off bonus payment of 5% (based on salary point four of the salary scale)."

Well done, Mr Tuckley.

You earn more than the Prime Minister.

• Options
    Oggy , don;t forget

'Mr Tuckley pays 12.5% of his salary into the Local Government Pension Scheme'.

I bet he bleeding does, this is the killer for councils, they need to get into the real world.
  • Options
    Will Tuckley used to be a Charlton season-ticket holder; not sure if he still is. Perhaps he'd like to buy us a striker . . .
  • Options

Will Tuckley used to be a Charlton season-ticket holder; not sure if he still is. Perhaps he'd like to buy us a striker . . .

I believe he is. Sits in with the oiks in the North Stand and does enjoy a good sing-song
  • Options
    Whitehall funding for local government has been cut by about a third since 2010. And another third needs to come off it in the next Parliament apparently. I'm afraid that we are going to see a lot more of this kind of sell off.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why are so many houses having to be built anyway ?
  • Options
    Not wanting to offend Bexleyittes of course but seeing as Bexley stymied the new crossing and condemned 1000's of commuters to continuing misery at Dartford and Blackwall, you might forgive us a little smile as you sell off your free space anyway as we look at you from a traffic jam on the A2.
  • Options
    Jints said:

Whitehall funding for local government has been cut by about a third since 2010. And another third needs to come off it in the next Parliament apparently.

I'm afraid that we are going to see a lot more of this kind of sell off.

Short term cash benefit.
    Permanent loss of public amenity.

Very worrying.

• Options
    The reality is that almost every council is doing this, some are further along the road than others and will be looking for any receipts in or be doing it as a trade off to housing associations or developers. I think within the next five years an English council will go bankrupt like Detroit, almost certainly one in a poor area (so probably Labour).
  • Options
    Dreadful cost cutting/ outsourcing/short term measures that appear to balance the books, but in reality just try and offload the burden to other's..... the 'others' being the residents, and poor bloody council workers, and the people who bring business in to the borough.
    Bexley is a big place, and covers a diverse and broad region. I have lived in the village for over 30 years, I moved here because I could not afford to buy a house in Greenwich/Blackheath. Having recently been considering moving back to Lower Greenwich, Blackheath standard I think my wish is more of a fairy tale , based on the current prices. I do find many of the reasons why I moved here? are no longer relevant.( although my memory is not as good as it was) Open spaces: not just Hall place, but sections of open land for instance at Beth's school, constant traffic jams through the village, the ever present roadworks, and the long promised bypass which has driven out the unique business's, like Dennis the butcher's, to be replaced by nail bars, estate agents, and take away's. Charming little events like the Bexley Village Christmas festival long gone. Okay nothing new, or unique,just to the village... but why would you want to stop and get out and shop, visit the pub etc. Now where to buy a tin of paint, or fresh fruit, or fish, or fresh meat, unless you count the prepackaged frozen stuff at the corner shop, at quite a mark up!. The school's are still decent, but devisive ( Bexley selective) yes I know about them, my wife is a teacher, and I was a former school governor at the primary.
    Okay I might have deluded myself that this was a 'London village' and perhaps things are not that great in Blackheath/Standard/Greenwich full of tourists, and prep schools, and over priced bars ( I was there on Saturday, and today) but the council of Bexley do like to make things awkward from themselves, that is unless it is refurbishing new council offices, and making Bexleyheath, having another makeover/roadwork revamp. So the question I have to ask myself do I wish to live here much longer, with these type of antics proposed I think I know the answer. Any chance of a 2 bed house, Garden flat in the area's I have mentioned...... under £350,000-£400,000..... I thought not?
  • Options

At least someones doing all right out of it.

http://www.bexley.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=6814

I didnt see this potential saving on the questionnaire ;-)
  • Options
    I love Bexley as a borough, lived there pretty much all my life, and perhaps i view it through blinkered / loyal eyes.

But i just don't seem to see the negative things that others do. When weighing up its position and cost of housing, I think it offers tremendous value when compared to other London boroughs.

• Options

I love Bexley as a borough, lived there pretty much all my life, and perhaps i view it through blinkered / loyal eyes.

But i just don't seem to see the negative things that others do. When weighing up its position and cost of housing, I think it offers tremendous value when compared to other London boroughs.

this all day long
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Jints said:

Whitehall funding for local government has been cut by about a third since 2010. And another third needs to come off it in the next Parliament apparently.

I'm afraid that we are going to see a lot more of this kind of sell off.

Short term cash benefit.
    Permanent loss of public amenity.

Very worrying.

Agreed. Seems a very short term approach. Surely it'll only perpetuate the problem. Mind you councils certainly know how to waste their money.
  • Options

Which is why I did specify Bexley Village, as I have lived there for some time. I am glad for you that you enjoy living where you do, I wish I did!. What concerns me though is that these proposals are going to affect the daily life of resident's. Of course the resident's of Camden Road area will be okay, like Cllr Campbell, they will go to private prep schools, and with there private health insurance not have to wait a week for a doctor's appointment, or wait 6 month's for an assessment for an 88 year old living in an Alm's house for support through social services, because they will pay for private nursing and support services. ( cleaning and food prep). Of course it is at the end of the day 'a choice'.... a choice that some of us have, if we have the financial, or support network which these cost cutting measures are proposed at. Personally, it is an easy choice for me, I go back to where I came from......