Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jools Holland Hootenanny

My son went last night to this years show. Midnight was 10pm !! However, he thought 75 year old William Bell was superb singing with Josh Stone. Ed Sheeran and Boz Scaggs also there along with Ronnie Spector and others. It will never be the same watching it on New Years Eve again though.

Comments

• Options
    Always a good show. Wow, Boz Scaggs - thats going back a bit !
  • Options
    What do they do, if someone doesn't make it to NYE?
  • Options
    My wife always thought it was live. Perhaps that's because I told her it was. Shame she doesn't believe everything else I tell her so easily.
  • Options

Edit
  • Options

I don't know about you but I've told them to carry on regardless. It's what I would have wanted after all.
  • Options
    Was the man with the clock head there? Freaks me out, can't watch when he comes on!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    masicat said:

My son went last night to this years show. Midnight was 10pm !! However, he thought 75 year old William Bell was superb singing with Josh Stone .

Joss's brother?
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

masicat said:

My son went last night to this years show. Midnight was 10pm !! However, he thought 75 year old William Bell was superb singing with Josh Stone .

Joss's brother?
    No. Josh Stone not Joss Stone. Josh Stone is a 68 year old black soul singer from Detroit. Used to be backing singer for James Brown. Carrying too much weight these days but still a great singer. Watch JB's Cold Sweat video and you will see him.
  • Options
    LIne up

Performer Ronnie Spector
    Performer Ed Sheeran
    Performer Boz Scaggs
    Performer Paolo Nutini
    Performer Ellie Goulding
    Performer William Bell
    Performer Paloma Faith
    Performer Wilko Johnson
    Performer Clean Bandit
    Performer Jess Glynne
    Performer Joss Stone
    Performer Ruby Turner
    Performer Hayseed Dixie
    Performer The Pipes and Drums, 1st Battalion Scots Guards
  • Options
    ok ok i thought it was live as well
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bozz Scaggs for the win.
  • Options
    I was with you till I noticed "The Pipes and Drums, 1st Battalion Scots Guards" on the bottom of the list...

25 cross dressers squeezing the life out their bags whilst fumbling with their pipes in yet another attempt to murder an old favorite...

I'm oot!
  • Options
    I'm a big Joss Stone fan, got every album bar one, and I can never understand why she isn't more popular than she is.
  • Options

I'm a big Joss Stone fan, got every album bar one, and I can never understand why she isn't more popular than she is.

Totally agree. Fantastic voice...........
  • Options

Edit
    Not much of a show if it was JH.
  • Options

Totally agree. Fantastic voice...........
    Probably the fake American accent
  • Options

They dig them back up.

• Options
    For me the line ups are getting worse every year as for it being pre-recorded the give away was JH playing at Blackheath concert hall on New YEars Eve a few years ago.
  • Options

what's wrong with the one you didn't buy?
  • Options
    Maybe everyone has heard the album you didn't buy and thought she ain't very good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We all know Josh is better anyway.
  • Options

what's wrong with the one you didn't buy?
    don't know that there is. I didn't buy it on release and havn't got round to doing so since.

• Options
    Wow Wilko was on it?
    There's a surprise.
  • Options
    How many songs were spoiled by Jools Holland playing boogie woogie piano across them? Just wish he could realise that sometimes playing one note is more effective than playing 5.
  • Options
    masicat said:

My son went last night to this years show. Midnight was 10pm !! However, he thought 75 year old William Bell was superb singing with Josh Stone. Ed Sheeran and Boz Scaggs also there along with Ronnie Spector and others. It will never be the same watching it on New Years Eve again though.

I love josh stone
  • Options
    I've always enjoyed the Hootenanny when I've been somewhere that it's shown and still able to a) stand up straight and b) focus my eyes on the television.

This year we'll be having our New Year celebration at a restaurant we frequent. Late meal..... jazz band.... good atmosphere amongst people we know and because it's a lock-in event it won't be spoiled by nutters who can't hold their beer, get shredded by ten o clock and vomit on your shoes during Auld Lang Syne. Obviously there will be no TV there, so no Hootenanny this year for us. Oh well.

But I think it should be a live programme. Andy (Donald Where's Yer Troosers) Stewart fronted the BBC's New Year celebration programme for many years until the late 1960's and to the best of my knowledge (somebody correct me if I'm wrong), that was always live.

Begs the question: Why ISN'T Hootenanny live..?

• Options
    It's not live because booking the acts would be much harder. Some performers with enough money won't want to work on that night and for those that do the rates are much higher - and that generally means private parties for the discerning multimillionaire.
  • Options
    Just stayed in last night and watched this, thought it was excellent - Paolo Nutini especially was brilliant.
  • Options
    Also thought last nights (aside from Ed Sheeran) was a bit 'skinny'.