Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Woolwich

@Curb_It‌

We finally made it to Woolwich and went to the Equitable. Here's our write up: http://deserter.co.uk/2014/12/woolwich-rides-again/

Had a really interesting time. Could have written a great deal more about it than we did, but you have to stop somewhere. Had no probs outside the Equitable but that may be down to the pretty constant police presence in the square. Was stunned to hear a middle-aged woman be told 'spitting is an offence by a 'Town Centre Warden'.

But the Equitable was great, as was Blue Nile, Rose's and the brewery. It's still a bit sketchy and gets dragged down by a few lairy types, as you know, but it is definitely turning a corner.

Comments

• Options
    Great read Vincenzo! I knew Woolwich well when I was younger and worked at a great West Indian club called the Ska Bar.

Good to see the old place is on the up, I'll have to go and have look around.
  • Options
    Great read actually. At least it seems there is an attempt at polishing the turd.
  • Options
    Quality read. Almost makes me want to go to Woolwich again.
  • Options
    Enjoyed reading that Vicenzo.

Knew Woolwich very well in mid-60s to mid-70s but not been back since.

And then I saw your next article, "Great Train Journeys: London Bridge to Charing Cross".........
    Michael Portillo eat your heart out.

• Options

Quality read. Almost makes me want to go to Woolwich again.

Me too. Only almost though.

• Options
    lovely post ...

worked in Powis Street in the 70s
  • Options
    lolwray said:

lovely post ...

worked in Powis Street in the 70s

and probably still queuing politely for a bus home.
  • Options
    .......the world's first hospital for Herberts.

Made I laugh that did. Good read young man.
  • Options
    Thanks. I got it straight to my inbox earlier on. Nice read. I really must get in the Equitable again to try it out - only been the once. When I can get my husband to actually meet me in Woolwich after work he prefers to go to the Dial ARch. But like you say, it is bloody pricey. They are going to have to do something about that tho as i've noticed its a lot quieter now that it has some actual competition around the corner.

Must try Blue Nile.

Was the middle aged woman spitting? She wasnt the long red haired woman who's always drinking a can of beer holding on to a poor old dog ?

• Options
    Am I the only one that is seriously tempted by the Gurkha's breakfast in a shed?

(Not a euphemism)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I still work in Woolwich. To those who are almost tempted to come back.....Don't rush.
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone. Glad you enjoyed it.

Yes, @Curb_It‌, the middle-aged woman was spitting - and she wasn't the only one. Greenwich have these wardens cracking down on spitting, littering and graffiti - environmental crime, they call it. Never seen that before. It wasn't a redhead, though

Glad to hear you get the newsletter - and are enjoying a night out in Woolwich. I haven't persuaded my wife to go yet, but she'll love the Blue Nile, I'm sure. Plus, she likes a scruffy boozer (some would say she married one.)

• Options

I still work in Woolwich. To those who are almost tempted to come back.....Don't rush.

My thoughts too, also work in woolwich , the wall that seperates the arsenal from the town is like the Berlin Wall , the dial arch is a nice boozer plenty of ales etc also nice food but on the other side of the wall it's a different world .
  • Options
    I know what you're saying, but Rose's, Blue Nile and the Equitable are all on the 'other side of the wall' and they are all worth visiting.

My grandparents both worked in the Arsenal and said it was always crawling with police, because it was so dangerous (I got the detall about the rubber-shoed horses from my dad, who was there as a kid). Now all the police are out in the town centre, along with the community police and wardens. It seems they are making a massive effort to assure people it's a safe place and let the lairy lot know they're around.

• Options
    I used to love going into Rose's until one day this past Summer. I happened to look up from my seat and saw a strip of fly paper hanging from the light fitting.

It was literally covered in hundreds of dead flies. Right above my drink. Put me right off returning.

Might have been a naked Eccles cake, but I don't think it was.
  • Options

I recently moved to Woolwich. I've been coming to the town for nearly sixty years, but never actually lived in SE18 before.

In its present form the old place is certainly much changed from former days, many might not say for the better. However, things are as they are, and like many place Woolwich is having to re-invent itself, to find some way of putting the POW! back in Powis Street.

No doubt stealthy fortunes are already being made on the strength of Crossrail's 2018 opening. For now, though, it's enough just to see the town centre coming alive again, to see the streets full. I've heard it said that Woolwich was widely shunned after the tragic Lee Rigby incident - that seems inexplicable to me, because our status as a garrison town is nothing but a source of great pride which needs open expression. (There's no finer sight in the Borough than watching The King's Troop go by ....)

Woolwich has so much to offer. It would be sad indeed if that were a secret known only to strangers and visitors, and not to disenchanted locals who think only of a Woolwich that, like so much else, is gone for ever.

Btw - Vincenzo\; superb article and indeed the whole website is just excellent. Compulsive reading!

• Options
    Thanks GlassHalfFull! Nice to hear your view of Woolwich too.
  • Options
    Where exactly is The Blue Nile located ?
  • Options
    Africa
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    73 Woolwich New Road, so near Gen Gordon Square.
    http://www.bluenilecafe.co.uk/
  • Options
    It's just along from the Anglesea Arms. Not exactly a wonderful location but it does sound good reading the tripadvisor reviews.
  • Options
    Is the pie & mash shop by the station still there?
  • Options
    Good story, Mr LoonyBin ....... and credible too.

Around that time I had a starstruck girlfriend who was crazy about Paul.

She'd found out where he lived in St Johns Wood and persuaded me to go with her.
    We hung around his front gate for a while stroking his cat on the garden wall, before a white transit turned up - and out jumped Denny Laine, Paul McCartney and his shaggy Old English Sheepdog, Martha (subject of the song on the Beatles double white album).

Denny Laine went straight inside, but Paul hung around and chatted to us for about 10 minutes - amongst other things, telling us his plans for them randomly turning up at pubs and doing impromptu back to roots gigs.

Then he hugged my GF, gave her a peck on the cheek and went indoors.

Wonderful gesture to make time for a 16 year old fan - she was walking on air all the way back to Welling.

• Options
    LoonyBin said:

Friday nights at the Shakespeare pub 30 pence a pint lager and going into the hall where some crap student band from the Poly would be playing. The music wasn't the attraction, it was the presence of hippy student chicks who were an easy pull that did it.

True story here, though:

One particularly quiet Wednesday night, back in about 1971, some scruff wandered into the Shakespeare and asked to speak to the landlord. When Mine Host appeared, the scruff asked if he wanted a band to do a gig in the hall that night. "Nah" said the gaffer. "We only do gigs on Friday nights. No business in it on Wednesday" The scruff replied that he had McCartney outside in the van. Would there be any interest in that..? To say that the landlord of the Shakespeare doubted his word would be putting it mildly, but he was persuaded to go with chummy to check it out.

When they got outside and the door to a rather manky looking van was opened, sitting inside, eating chips out of a bag was, indeed, Paul McCartney. Linda was also there and a motley collection of hairy individuals who it was presumed were the rest of the band took up the rest of the space.

This occurred about a year or so after the Beatles broke up and McCartney had decided to go back to his roots and was just bumming around the country, getting the odd gig here and there wherever he pitched up. Getting paid in plastic bags of 50 pence pieces from the take on the door and learning to play rock and roll, and how to work an audience all over again.

Of course, when he realised it was true, the landlord of the Shakespeare agreed and the show went ahead. Word got round the Poly dead quick and within the hour, the place was packed out. I wasn't there myself, I only heard about it the next day, but apparently it was "a good gig, man".

Ahhh, happy days though. Rock and roll lived and breathed back then.

You are right about the Wings gig, some of my friends saw that. So yeah. I missed it as well. The Poly used to be a regular venue for groups, Saw the Strawbs there with Rick Wakeman, and the Edgar Broughton band, I would have been one of those 'hippy types' being an art student at the time, with long hair....( long gone) yes, the woman were very sweet. As the woman at art college outnumbered the men 3-1. It took a long time for the penny to drop to my skinhead friends why I wanted to ' fart around at art college' . they came around in the end, and grew there hair.........
  • Options
    I saw The Buzzcocks at Thames Poly.

NB Rick Wakeman played with Alfie Boe last night at the O2.
  • Options

I saw The Buzzcocks at Thames Poly.

me too

• Options
    Good article.

Woolwich is certainly changing.

The Old arsenal site does seem cut off from the rest of the town but it also seems very clean, very quiet and maybe a little too tame.

And maybe the town is too far the other way.

Look at Hoxton, Peckham etc. Woolwich will be next
  • Options
    A couple of years back I saw an article where Steve Winwood was reminiscing, and there was a picture of the Spencer Davis group at The Shakespeare in about 1966.

I saw The Buzzcocks, The Adverts and The Lurkers at the Poly back in the late 70's, some of my more hairy friends used to rave about Hawkwind all nighters down there, probably an acquired taste that one.