Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Lost Honour of Christopher Jeffries

Anyone else watch this yesterday and tonight?

Excellent piece of drama based on real life.

Comments

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Watching part two on plus one right now. Really well made. Made me feel so sorry for him.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Agreed, Jason Watkins is one of those actors you will always recognise the face but not know from where (unless you were a Being Human fan ) and is always good value but he's been absolutely outstanding. I do not for one minute think that freedom of the press should be abolished but there are so many examples of perfectly innocent if slightly odd people becoming victims of the press, guilty by public conviction without even a single true fact presented in some cases.
  • Options
    Superb performance from Watkins.
  • Options
    It was a brilliant piece of drama. Superb performance from Watkins as others have said, looked very like Jeffries. Frightening to know its based on real life, how did the police get it so wrong? Always believed in freedom of the press but not after this. Never buy newspapers now.
  • Options
    excellent production, does anyone know if Mr Jeffries had any input to the writing
  • Options

excellent production, does anyone know if Mr Jeffries had any input to the writing

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-11-29/christopher-jefferies-found-it-impossible-to-watch-his-arrest-in-itv-drama

During filming the director – Roger Michell, a former pupil of Jefferies – invited him on set to watch the arrest scene but the retired schoolteacher found he couldn't watch.
  • Options
    Uncanny likeness between actor and Jeffries.
  • Options
    One of the best things on the telly this year, and the acting of Jason Watkins was ridiculously brilliant, but the whole cast were superb right down to the woman in the bread shop, it was so good it felt like a documentary. I loved the scene with Steve Coogan which I imagine may have had a bit of artistic licence.
    A clear award winner of a Drama even if it isn't on the BBC, excellent.
  • Options
    The bloke playing Coogan nailed it.
  • Options
    Superb production. Totally shambolic performance from the press and at times the police. The guy seems a total original who sadly got muddled up in something terrible.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

The bloke playing Coogan nailed it.

What is his real name?
  • Options
    Watched it in one sitting last night. Brilliant and terrifying. There was that mesmerising slow scene of the newspapers coming off the presses and being bundled up for distribution. No focus on the front pages, no need, we all knew what they were like. One man's honour about to be traduced across the whole nation. The best thing I've seen from ITV for years, awards all round.
  • Options
    I thought the arrest scene was brilliant. Arrests in tv programmes are nearly always depicted from the police's point of view; you're nicked, you've have the right to main silent but..., we got our man. But the way they showed the belwiderment, fear and confusion on the part of the person arrested was superb.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-11-29/christopher-jefferies-found-it-impossible-to-watch-his-arrest-in-itv-drama

During filming the director – Roger Michell, a former pupil of Jefferies – invited him on set to watch the arrest scene but the retired schoolteacher found he couldn't watch.
    What really interested me about that article was the quotes from Jeffries. They felt as if they could be read by Watkins as Jeffries.
  • Options
    A terrific docudrama based around a dreadful episode in the recent history of the UK press .. this man was hounded because of his eccentricities and appearance. Luckily Mitchell is an influential former pupil of Jeffries and had the influence to bring the whole unjustified witch hunt out into the open, and he did a great job of so doing