Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Local Solicitor or Online Conveyancer

Following on from my previous Agony Aunt Question (Commuter Coaches for those who missed it):

As some people may know am in the process of buying my first property and just looking for some advice when it comes to purchasing etc... At the moment am having a hunt around for a good / inexpensive Solicitor and have noticed that there are Companies out there who offer their services completely online for a bit cheaper i.e.

- Local Solicitor in Bexleyheath has quoted me around £1600 for their Services
- Online Conveyancer based in Cambridgeshire has quoted me £1100 for theirs.

On the above basis the easy option would be to take the £1100 yet as they always say, cheapest isn't always the best...

Has anyone else taken this route or can anyone give a good reason why I should maybe steer well clear (Have looked at reviews on the £1100 option and they are impressive)

Of course if anyone could recommend a reputable Solicitor as well that would be much appreciated

Comments

• Options
    We used Hadfield & Co, Central Ave Welling. Mind you that was 7 years ago, they were very good, however the chain is only as good as the worst solicitor.
  • Options
    I've used this online conveyancer twice (they were a few hundred cheaper that the high street quotes - http://www.1stpropertylawyers.co.uk/

The second place was a repossession so I needed it to go through as quickly as possible as it was marketed up to exchange of contracts. Didn't have any problems at all. I also used them for an aborted purchase and they reimbursed me with a significant proportion of my upfront fees without being asked.

I wouldn't be put off by using an online firm, I know plenty of people who have used high street solicitors and had problems. Unfortunately, there's no guarantee of good or bad service with any company, you just have to hope your not unlucky - the positive reviews of your online firm are encouraging, I'd go with them if I was you.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    You might just want to check who regulates the firms and whether you could get recompense in the event of any oversight, incompetence, misappropriated client funds, etc, etc.

Presumably it's a choice between conveyancer.org.uk/ for the on-line guys (who perhaps may be qualified lawyers but not have practising certificates?) or these guys lawsociety.org.uk/ for a proper law firm.

You pay your money and you take your chance....
  • Options
    It's been a while since I last bought a property but you should get a decent local solicitor for well under £1.6k. Last year a solicitor represented me in a sale for £850 I think - have I got that very wrong ?