Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vancouver

Evening all, just wondering if anyone has visited/lived in Vancouver?

Moving there in feb - all quite short notice. The mrs was offered a transfer there 2 weeks ago with the condition that we're there by the start of feb!

Any advice/insight would be much appreciated

Comments

• Options
    Really good read, thanks. Sounds like a pretty good balance of nature and city
  • Options
    You lucky so & so. I know places are often different when living there rather than visiting but it was definitely a place I could see myself being very happy in. Stunning setting, great range of activities and wildlife on your doorstep, friendly welcoming people, proper football, plenty of shopping, eating, bars, etc and only an few hours from Portland, Seattle and the rest.
  • Options
    First advice....go watch the Canucks and get into the Hockey...will be a very good surrogate for the Addicks!! Great sport with no play acting. Vancouver is a wonderful city...Canadians are generally friendly and genuine folk. You are surrounded by amazing beauty; in Feb you will be able to kayak in the ocean and then drive up to grouse/cypress mountain (30 min drive) and go ski. Canadian micro brewery beer is amazing...go to steamers pub on the sea front and sample their "flight" of home brewed beers...you can't go wrong. Granville street is a cool place to visit with some very good music venues such as the commodore ballroom and the Vogue. Like what Bournemouth Addick suggested, go visit Seattle and Portland...fantastic cities close to Vancouver. Enjoy!!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Thanks for the replies - I haven't really had chance to get excited about it yet - I was a bit apprehensive as I've just started a job here that I really enjoy, but hey-ho, you only live once right!
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    You lucky person. My nephew is moving in January for a year so jealous. Only been on holiday but great place. Brilliant mix of city , stunning mountains and sea and snow (whistler). If you get a chance go to grizzly bear ranch which is between Banff and Vancouver. Best 4 days of my life. Hoping to go to Vancouver Island soon
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Vancouver is a city is a city is a city. Modern of course and generally affluent but paradise it aint. Like LA, being surrounded by a bowl of mountains, car exhaust pollution can be a problem. The bonus is the BC outdoor life and countryside just a few miles away. Vancouver is a generally OK place but not the wondertown some would make it out to be.
    Enjoy your stay, in many ways VC is a better bet for a nice life than is London
  • Options
    Yeah went 3 years ago . Have family in Langley stayed with them . It is a wonderful place you'll love it .

• Options
    Yep lucky you. Awesome city - agree with all the positive remarks but not the LA comparison! Understand air quality is good compared to most North American cities.
  • Options
    Thanks all, glad there's so many positive experiences. Well travelled bunch on charlton life!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As someone once said, it's not the things you do that you regret ....... but the things you don't do.

Good luck, Ross - and let us know how you get on.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

As someone once said, it's not the things you do that you regret ....... but the things you don't do.

Good luck, Ross - and let us know how you get on.

Thanks mate - I'll certainly provide updates, particularly on my experience of North American sports!
  • Options
    Great city in a great part of the world. Lucky sod
  • Options
    I've got work placement next year (well hopefully depending on visa) will be working in a ski resort in Whistler. The thought of it is keeping me sane.

Never been Vancouver but sure it won't disappoint.

Enjoy.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

I've got work placement next year (well hopefully depending on visa) will be working in a ski resort in Whistler. The thought of it is keeping me sane.

Never been Vancouver but sure it won't disappoint.

Enjoy.

Whistler..........lucky dog!