Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

History of charlton - the area

edited April 2007 in General Charlton
I know its a bit off topic, but someone told me our crest with the sword has something in common/related to the coat of arms for Maryon-wilson, anyone know more on this?

http://www.greenwich-guide.org.uk/charlton.htm

Comments

• Options
    There was a story written in 1998 and which appeared in the Independent and Voice of the Valley claiming that the sword in hand and Addicks were both taken from the Percival family coat of arms and motto.

The person who wrote it may or may not be a regular poster on CL and it may or may not have been a total wind up which still managed to feature in many histories and websites.
  • Options
    Not off topic at all, I'm interested.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]I know its a bit off topic, but someone told me our crest with the sword has something in common/related to the coat of arms for Maryon-wilson, anyone know more on this?

http://www.greenwich-guide.org.uk/charlton.htm

I think you'll find the coat of arms of the Maryon-Wilson family is a wolf. You can read about it here

Charlton Park RFC History
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I must confess I thought I read that the crest was changed in the early sixties when the new "nickname" of "the Valiants" was chosen. I suspect that the sword was just meant to represent that. i.e. the sword of the valiant. It is a sixities invention as far as I know and has no older historical significance.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I must confess I thought I read that the crest was changed in the early sixties when the new "nickname" of "the Valiants" was chosen. I suspect that the sword was just meant to represent that. i.e. the sword of the valiant. It is a sixities invention as far as I know and has no older historical significance.

You are quite right Sir.

BTW did you hear back from the Marathon guy you so kindly sponsored?
  • Options
    Can I put on record, how much I dislike the Sword in Hand badge, and we should go retro back to the 40's design on of the 4 quaters with the robin sitting on a ball badge.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I must confess I thought I read that the crest was changed in the early sixties when the new "nickname" of "the Valiants" was chosen. I suspect that the sword was just meant to represent that. i.e. the sword of the valiant. It is a sixities invention as far as I know and has no older historical significance.

You are quite right Sir.

BTW did you hear back from the Marathon guy you so kindly sponsored?

No haven't heard yet. Perhaps he's still recovering. I'll wait a few more days then drop him an e mail.
  • Options
    Its just that someone once mentioned to me seeing a coat of arms in the area of one of the parks that related to Charlton's current badge, I have not been able to track down anything to give this any credo.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    See the link - the hoax article was in Voice of the Valley. Three guesses who the the author was.

http://www.footballcrests.com/cafc.htm
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Can I put on record, how much I dislike the Sword in Hand badge, and we should go retro back to the 40's design on of the 4 quaters with the robin sitting on a ball badge.

Don't agree. That badge is so .......... er ........... for want of a better description ...... GAY!!!

Our badge is one of the most distinctive and instantly recognisable around.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    good Article Henners, I seem to remember being 'taken in' by the 2002 prank.
  • Options
    MCSMCS
    edited April 2007
    agreed offy, i love the sword in hand badge, its quality!
  • Options
    I really like the sword in hand bit of the badge, but don't care much for the roundel part.

To me, it just seems a tacky commercial logo rather than a distinguished club 'badge of honour' or coat of arms.
    And rooted in the dated marketing designs of the 60's.

It just needs a revamp.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]There was a story written in 1998 and which appeared in the Independent and Voice of the Valley claiming that the sword in hand and Addicks were both taken from the Percival family coat of arms and motto.

The person who wrote it may or may not be a regular poster on CL and it may or may not have been a total wind up which still managed to feature in many histories and websites.

You should be in politics
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite][quote]

You should be in politics[/quote]

Not I really, really shouldn't :-(

I prefer the original sword in hand logo when it was well drawn and more than an outline back in 1968. Replace Valiants with Addicks and presto.

I've got a blazer badge of the never used Greenwich council badge. It's blue and while!

BTW anyone got any old metal bages they don't want send them to me. Will pay hard cash for really old (70s and before that I don't have especially the three robins on a branch badge)
  • Options
    leave the badge alone!!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I llke the badge. It's simple effective and very easily recognisable. Everything a good corporate logo should be. Look at some of the crap logos of our rivals. I'd much rather stick with what we've got.
  • Options
    While we're at it, I think 'Addicks' is naff and was bought up with 'Valliants' which we dumped when we left The Valley
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stone[/cite]While we're at it, I think 'Addicks' is naff and was bought up with 'Valliants' which we dumped when we left The Valley

I always used to cringe when my Dad and senior family members used to refer to The Addicks. I much preferred Valiants. The Addicks seemed to re-engage my generation during the exile years. Now I love it. The Valiants seems so contrived and the Robins is not unique and much too nonsey for my liking.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: les_says[/cite]leave the badge alone!!!!

Too f-in right mate!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    'Sword in hand' is now a recognisable brand and has been for some years, it would be sad to lose it. It's a pity MoTD don't show our logo as long as they show Chelski, Woolwich Arsenal or any of the others.
  • Options
    It was always Valiants in the Kentish Independent! My grandad always referred to them as the Addicks so that made more of an impression on me overall.