Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Drinking and Driving the next day

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2014

My engineers father in law is a magistrate and he says that 60% of drivers caught over the limit that come before him are caught the next day. Something we all should consider.

Roughly a pint of Stellar takes 3 hours to clear from the system so if you have 4 pints you cant drive for at least 12 hours and it is recommended that you add an hour to that so that makes 13. Food for thought.

Assume you have 2 pints an hour and the 3 hours starts when you have the last sip of each pint:

0000 pint in
    0030 pint in
    0100 pint in
    0130 pint in
    0330 pint out
    0400 pint out
    0430 pint out
    0500 pint out

Add an hour and a half for good measure

6.5 hours after starting and 4.5 hours after stopping you're sober.
  • Options
    What kind of pint only has half a unit of alcohol in it?
  • Options

What kind of pint only has half a unit of alcohol in it?

That isn't mentioned
  • Options
    0330 pint out
    0400 pint out
    0430 pint out
    0500 pint out

Half an hour for a pint out, 1 unit an hour, I think I'm confused then.
  • Options
    Interesting points from @Charlton Charlie

So you wouldn't advise driving a mini bus full of blokes 3hrs after an 8hr night out ???
  • Options

Interesting points from @Charlton Charlie

So you wouldn't advise driving a mini bus full of blokes 3hrs after an 8hr night out ???

The hangover won't have kicked in!

• Options
    I reckon you're safe to drive, by what ever you do don't let the cops find you asleep in smashed up car in a lay-by with the keys on the passenger seat.

BTW, whatever happened to Killersgonad?
  • Options
    Harsh sentencing in the US of A

US swimmer Michael Phelps, the most decorated Olympian of all-time, has been given a one-year suspended prison sentence after pleading guilty to drink-driving.

The 18-time Olympic gold medallist was also sentenced to 18 months of supervised probation.

During that time Phelps must totally abstain from drinking alcohol.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Phelps is lucky not to be doing time. He was twice the drink drive limit and caught doing 85mph in a 45 limit.
  • Options

My engineers father in law is a magistrate and he says that 60% of drivers caught over the limit that come before him are caught the next day. Something we all should consider.

Roughly a pint of Stellar takes 3 hours to clear from the system so if you have 4 pints you cant drive for at least 12 hours and it is recommended that you add an hour to that so that makes 13. Food for thought.

So the moral being, don't drink Stella.
  • Options
    A good mate of mine was caught sleeping in the back seat of his car. He was absolutely arseholed and would have stayed sleeping for most of the following day had the police not woken him up. Keys were in the ashtray the car hadn't moved from the pub car park since he drove there sober and he got a 12 month ban. Reduced to 9 months for doing a course
  • Options
    It's a bit rough and ready, but it might help.

http://www.rupissed.com
  • Options
    Carter said:

A good mate of mine was caught sleeping in the back seat of his car. He was absolutely arseholed and would have stayed sleeping for most of the following day had the police not woken him up. Keys were in the ashtray the car hadn't moved from the pub car park since he drove there sober and he got a 12 month ban. Reduced to 9 months for doing a course

Wouldlove to know how this could work if it were a caravan ?
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Carter said:

That's an interesting one Buckshee. I have a campervan and I'm pretty sure if I wasn't on a campsite then I would be in trouble as well (although I don't know that 100% to be honest). A caravan being separate from another vehicle you'd think would be ok?
  • Options

0330 pint out
    0400 pint out
    0430 pint out
    0500 pint out

Half an hour for a pint out, 1 unit an hour, I think I'm confused then.

First pint was finished at 0030. Assume it is 2 or 3 units so that takes you up to 0230 or 0330 before or is gone and the extra 30 or 90 minutes ( depending on the strength od the beer ) is just to be sure. So by 0400 the pint you drank between 0000 and 0030 has passed through

The subsequent pints pass through in the subsequent 30 minute intervals.
  • Options
    Makes sense now, seems quite fast!
  • Options

Makes sense now, seems quite fast!

It only works like that on an 'enhanced' metabolism
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think a lot must depend on metabolism
    a friend lost his license a few years back and was stopped mid morning and last drink was 2 am?
    He only got stopped because his car was damaged
    At the end of the day it's ur licence at risk!
  • Options

red_murph said:

buckshee said:

Carter said:

That's an interesting one Buckshee. I have a campervan and I'm pretty sure if I wasn't on a campsite then I would be in trouble as well (although I don't know that 100% to be honest). A caravan being separate from another vehicle you'd think would be ok?
    If you live in a caravan you're above the law so no need to worry.
    Only if it's an old vw
  • Options
    Never drive if there's any doubt. As others have said, it takes at least one hour for a unit to leave your body, but sleep slows that down - and I dare say the more you drink may well do the same - so through-the-night calculations are likely to be questionable.

The big problem is that few of us really know how many units we've drunk. Estrella will be 3 units a pint, but how big were your wine glasses, how strong was the wine, how strong was the whisky, after a few drinks are you absolutely certain you've counted accurately, etc. etc. And then throw in variables such as whether you slept well the night before, how and what you ate...

The long ban and massive future insurance premiums aren't worth the risk.
  • Options
    Plus eating a fry-up slows down the removal of alcohol from the system. One of the biggest mistakes is thinking that you'll be ok after a plateful of grub
  • Options
    A few too many flippant comments on this for my liking on what is a serious issue. My view is simple - if you are going to drink then certainly don't drive for at least 12 hours. Personally i'd like to see the 1 year ban increased but i'm probably in a minority.
  • Options
    Carter said:

This situation is policing at its worst. No common sense whatsoever.
  • Options
    I am hearing of people being done two days after a binge in Scotland since they lowered the limit. That's worrying.....
  • Options

I am hearing of people being done two days after a binge in Scotland since they lowered the limit. That's worrying.....

but they were probably half way through the next one.
  • Options

Only if you're unlucky enough to live in Scotland.
  • Options
    philcafc said:

A few too many flippant comments on this for my liking on what is a serious issue. My view is simple - if you are going to drink then certainly don't drive for at least 12 hours. Personally i'd like to see the 1 year ban increased but i'm probably in a minority.

Totally agree.

I never have anything if I'm driving.
    Drinking is nowhere as important as driving safely.