Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Valley - 1979

I imagine most on here may have already seen this as I first noticed it a while ago but this is quite an evocative short video clip of The Valley from 1979. The clip brings it to life in a way that a photo would struggle to, so it's worth a watch if you haven't seen it. Any memories or thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw5Zy1BORVI

Comments

• That sad ambient music sounds more like it would be suited to The Valley in late '85. Good to see though.
  • Goose bumps. Nice one SW16
  • Being able to walk round the whole ground during the match is a vivid memory that seems unthinkable today. I started my Charlton obsession around that time. I didn't recall the fences being up at that time though. Another memory is the smell of the dog food factory by the tunnel that was so pungent during midweek games. The peanut salesman and the half time scoreboards where someone hung the relative scores on the low wall on what is now the East Stand. Hales, Flanagan, Powell, Wood, Tydeman, Robinson, Warman, Peacock, Shaw, Berry, Brisley............ahhhh, memory lane!
  • For me those fences were one of the worst things to happen at the Valley. Hated them.
  • My god I loved that covered end. Never the same since the seats went in.
  • edited December 2014
    I was born under The Covered End.

No surprise that the crowds dwindled to 3,000 and we went bust, soon after those ugly fences went up.
  • Thatchers fences
  • My god I loved that covered end. Never the same since the seats went in.

Shame we can't have standing in the lower section and keep the upper seated.
  • Thatchers fences

Serious question. Were the fence government legislation? I know Thatcher tried to implement ID cards for football fans as hooliganism was rife.
  • cafc999 said:

Thatchers fences

Serious question. Were the fence government legislation? I know Thatcher tried to implement ID cards for football fans as hooliganism was rife.
    Wouldn't have thought so. QPR and Brentford didn't have fences.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2014
    Simonsen said:

cafc999 said:

Thatchers fences

Wouldn't have thought so. QPR and Brentford didn't have fences.
    Do not think Fulham had to suffer fences either.......so civilised those West Londoners!
  • Charlton fans celebrate returning to The Valley: http://youtu.be/LZDCHgx6A5U

• I was outside the town hall that night. It was mental when the news came out. It was obviously great inside the town hall as well but we couldn't get in that night.
  • Great footage of the old valley. When you see the ground in its full splendour nowadays it's hard to remember just how grim the old place was. I wonder how many other clubs would have survived like we did and prosper. The board, Lennie and then Curbs with help from the supporters made this club great again. Wonder where we will be in another 35 years. Hope I'm alive to see it. Happy christmas.
  • edited December 2014
    cafc999 said:

Thatchers fences

Nothing to do with Thatcher. The fences went up before the 1979 election, I believe. I don't think they were anything to with legislation, although the Safety of Sports Grounds Act 1975 imposed new stadium requirements on clubs and led to restrictions in capacity.
  • cafc999 said:

Thatchers fences

Nothing to do with Thatcher.
    I thought so. Just needed clarification.
  • Can't we just blame the witch anyway?.......
  • Watched the clip with the boy, thanks for posting it

Funny that the fence was one of the the things that immediately struck me as well "they made us stand behind them" etc but...juxtaposed with fond memories as well, climbing up them when we scored, hanging flags off them, a different world but one we grew up in football-wise.