Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Arsenal 1936

Not sure I've ever seen this before

http://www.itnsource.com/en/shotlist/BHC_RTV/1936/10/19/BGU407211059/?s=Charlton

Supposedly the biggest ever crowd at The Valley, even though we only owned up to 68000 at the time

Comments

• must have been kid a quid that day
  • I thought our biggest crowd was 75k against Villa in the cup
  • There were still empty spaces in block A.
  • edited December 2014
    True WSS, the biggest official crowd was against Villa, but popular belief (via Colin Cameron) was that the 1936 game was actually nearer 80000 than the 68000 announced, seems the gates were closed 15 minutes before kick-off and thousands bunked in. According to CC the loudspeaker broke down so they couldn't pack the crowd properly, although looking at that film there wasn't a whole load of room to squeeze any more in. I wonder what Mick Everitt would make of the people sitting on top of the covered end?
  • edited December 2014
    Amazing crowd footage. Thanks for posting.

Makes you wonder what the real reason was behind The Woolwich Club's move, given that it was supposed to low crowds.
  • I'll volunteer to go up on the Covered End roof if it gets a bit too packed against Blackburn next week.
  • edited December 2014
    fantastic crowd footage

• I hope Coquelin didn't play. I can't afford another tenner.........
  • Interesting that the bloke calls it the 'Premier Division'.
  • Sponsored links:

• very poor away following
  • Interesting that the bloke calls it the 'Premier Division'.

yeah I thought that spose it is/was tho
  • I'm afraid not, but what a joy it is when we win one. Beating Arsenal is up there with the birth of my children.
  • 1947/48 was a rough season.
  • My granddad was at that game. Every time he heard someone say that the Valley was the only ground never to have been filled to capacity he would say cobblers then harp on about that game and how the Valley was full to bursting. Looking at that great piece of film, I now agree with him, I doubt you could have squeezed another person in that day.

He knew someone who worked at the club and was told a turnstile was broken down and an estimated 20k got in unaccounted for.
  • edited December 2014
    My uncle used to work on the turnstiles and he said that the operators could keep their foot on the pedal, let 2 people through at once and pocket the payment. He said that although you couldn't do it too often without raising suspicion, most of them used to do it at every game.
  • Magnificent. This should be made a sticky !
  • Always used to pay a few pence and squeeze 2 of us through. Sometimes we even went under. Rob Lee used to charge 6 pence, thieving bastard.
  • Sponsored links:

• Great crowd pics ,looks more than the offical attendance.My dad always said Charlton crowds started dropping when the trams stopped.
  • Did they count season ticket holders who didn't turn up?
  • Vincenzo said:

Makes you wonder what the real reason was behind The Woolwich Club's move, given that it was supposed to low crowds.

Arsenal did move because of low crowds, but it must be remembered that, at that time, Blackheath Rugby Club were attracting huge crowds for their matches, in addition to staging international matches at the Rectory Field.

It was rugby wot dun it.
  • My granddad was at that game. Every time he heard someone say that the Valley was the only ground never to have been filled to capacity he would say cobblers then harp on about that game and how the Valley was full to bursting. Looking at that great piece of film, I now agree with him, I doubt you could have squeezed another person in that day.

He knew someone who worked at the club and was told a turnstile was broken down and an estimated 20k got in unaccounted for.

Pretty sure this is the game my late father attended and used to refer to as a bigger crowd than the Villa game. He reckoned the gates were busted open but for sure he said thousands definitely got in in for nothing, not that my Dad as an18 year old, would have ever done anything like that. ;-)
  • LoonyBin said:

Vincenzo said:

Arsenal did move because of low crowds, but it must be remembered that, at that time, Blackheath Rugby Club were attracting huge crowds for their matches, in addition to staging international matches at the Rectory Field.

It was rugby wot dun it.
    How did Blackheath attract huge crowds ? I thought to this day, they only had one tiny stand ?

What was their average crowd ?
  • Great crowd pics ,looks more than the offical attendance.My dad always said Charlton crowds started dropping when the trams stopped.

I blame John Logie Baird, for our crowds dropping during the 50's
    Even now the fair weather fans will stay in on a evening game and watch the champions league,
    rather than suffer with the rest of us.