Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sitting amongst opposing fans

Comments

• Options
    stood in the terraced end behind the goal at brentford when we beat them 1-0 the promotion season. Said "OH NO!" really loudly when jacko went down clearly hurt, a mate i was with kept asking me what the matter was but i wouldn't tell him. Also had to stop myself from beaming when bwp scored the winner.
  • Options
    Flogged my four tickets to Chelsea fans for their championship title game in 2005. Nice little earner that was.

We still went over to SW6 to get the atmosphere, got a couple of Chelsea mates so wanted to see them as well.

Went into a boozer rammed with Chelsea and watched the game minding our own business. They were singing their silly songs about celery etc and this geezer came up to me and asked why we were not singing, so I showed him my Charlton badge.

The geezer was alright but was being all patronising, and conveniently forgetting about three years before we had beaten them 4-5 times on the bounce, twats!
  • Options
    Only done it twice - both at Stamford Bridge. First game was when we won 1-0 with Bartlett scoring - sat on hands and just admired our brilliant performance.
    Second time was when they won 1-0 with a last minute penalty that was about 3 yards outside the box and Makelele scored. I absolutely lost the plot, got lots of states, but stormed out. Carried on my tirade outside the ground, asked a flag-seller if they had one with 'Fucking Cheats' written on it, at which point I got attacked. Decided to shut up after that.
  • Options
    Was at Highbury behind the directors' box for a 4-0 defeat. Had to sit on my hands when Henry scored that backheel
  • Options
    The general rule is it is fine to sit in with the home fans unless it is opposition fan sitting in with charlton. Then we get precious.
  • Options
    It's not fine ever, if they don't follow the rules of silence
  • Options

Spurs, millwank, West ham, Newcastle, Derby, arsenal,

Among others, just stand up when they score stay seated and sit on hands when we do

Was made to celebrate in the cold blow lane end of millwank when we scored in an Anglo Italian cup game or get on the end of a shoeing,

Spurs always celebrated there regardless of end due to being with those who would give you a kicking so it was never coming

The other places followed protocol and didn't take the piss didn't even get noticed

Was you in uniform or plain clothes? ;)
  • Options
    Go and buy a ticket yourself and tell your pal to bring another mate. Or ask your friend not to tell his dad that you've spurned his ticket.

The only time you should sit in the home end if you want to enjoy it is when the away is sold out or you're on a corporate freebie. It's no fun sitting in the home end. I've never enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Had to sit on my hands when Bent scored the winning penalty against Chelsea in the cup, I was sat behind the goal where the pens were taken.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Montenegro away with England. Brought a home end ticket of a tout. Stood in the home end (side stand) with a few other England sticking out like sore thumbs but keeping schtum throughout. Other than a few lighters and coins sent our way we got off fairly lightly.

The previous trip there I'd 'gained entry' to the away end with a home end ticket about 15 mins into the game but was led through the home end to get there - only lots of stares and gestures that time but was mighty relieved to reach our end.
  • Options
    Did it at out own ground when we battered spurs, all the goals in front of the away fans and it was very hard to contain myself. My dippy mate was charged with getting the tickets in out end (gave him my membership number all that jazz, seeing as I had had to sit with those slags in the away fixture) and the bastard stitched me right up. Very weird feeling being abused and mocked by your own but utterly loving it.

Done it at QPR, arsenal and wolves but to balance shit out I've more often been in the right bit for all those fixtures.

It's horrible but embrace it, your all together as mates but don't be a dickhead and expect and easy ride. If I saw a dan of any club celebrate in our end I would shamelessly intimidate them and be demand the nearest authoritive steward removed them at once to save them from a murder........ ;-)

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Once went to a game up at Blackburn with dad and his boss who was a Rovers season ticket holder. When we scored what turned out to be the winner i leapt out of my seat and roared yeaaaaaaaaaaaah! and with the speed of an airbag being deployed, my dad's arm grabbed me and pushed me back into my seat, at which point a few pissed off locals mad it clear that my presence was noted. Let's just say i was happy to keep quiet and savour the victory at full time without applauding the team off.
  • Options
    I was with the home fans at Luton when away fans were banned in the late 80's. A friend if mine got me in.
    I didn't have to worry about jumping up when we scored because we got battered by five or six goals.
  • Options

Montenegro away with England. Brought a home end ticket of a tout. Stood in the home end (side stand) with a few other England sticking out like sore thumbs but keeping schtum throughout. Other than a few lighters and coins sent our way we got off fairly lightly.

The previous trip there I'd 'gained entry' to the away end with a home end ticket about 15 mins into the game but was led through the home end to get there - only lots of stares and gestures that time but was mighty relieved to reach our end.

Christ! that is one home end I would not want to be stuck in. Bet that was a laugh....

@Curb_It‌ sensible advice.

Although i am just going to stick it out and sit in between my mates. If I havnt posted on here by the Wednesday than the Ipswich massive have gotten hold of me.
  • Options
    Never done it in 25 years of going and hopefully never will. Would just feel completely wrong.
  • Options
    2006. Stamford Bridge. My hand-sitting moment occurred when future-legend Marcus Bent equalised on his debut, running over to celebrate in front of the away fans, a tier below us.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Got a corporate ticket at Old Trafford with my son about ten years or so ago. the game where Claus scored the opener.

My son had his Charlton kit on with 'Jensen' on the back. When he scored we both lost it in an area full of Utd corporates. My boy was even showing his Jensen top to the Stretford End.

No problems at all from the 'locals'. At half time in the corporate area some Utd official came up to me and asked if my son wanted to give the MOM awards to players of both teams!

Think he was about 15 at the time and I allowed him a few beers before and after the game. Got some great pictures of him giving the MOM awards to Van Nistleroy and Scotty Parker.

Good for your boy, Van Nistleroy supports Charlton I'll have you know, seriously.
  • Options
    Done it loads of times, most memorable was Highbury in Aug 98, 0-0 draw, 6/7 of us didn't have tickets for sold out away end, paid the turnstile fella £10 each to get in clock end next to away area, told OB we were Charlton and could he let us in to the away end, his reply was either to "F O" or take our chances. We took our chances, let everyone know we were Charlton, stayed the whole game singing our hearts out with a circle around us as nobody seemed to want to come within 20 yards of us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA9DA9
    edited December 2014
    Also a few of us and a well known local port vale fan who attends charlton games, went to Munich for the 1-5 England game, had tickets off a tout in the German end, the OB just gathered us all up and about another 15-20 england fans and walked us around the stadium to the away end, happy days.
  • Options
    When we played Chelsea in that infamous game at Stamford Bridge, last game of the Season. We were sitting in their stand amongst thousands of Chelsea fans. When Paul Miller scored the equaliser myself my mate and Steve Rider and his friend all got up to celebrate, forgetting where we were. We were the only ones in that stand that stood up.
    Of course we got loads of abuse and threats of violence outside, but nothing happened.
  • Options
    Would much rather sit with me pals and watch a game of football whatever end it's in than sit on my own in the correct end.

There will be absolutely no trouble, hardly wearing a union flag suit at Celtic Park scenario is it.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    QPR away 1997. Won 4-2. The away end was sold out so went in the South Africa Road Stand. Sat on my hands for all 4 goals.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

I used to work in Deptford and sometimes when Charlton was not playing, went with work colleagues to watch Millwall, standing at the home end. Did not matter who they were playing, I had to refrain from laughing when the other team scored. Once went with them to watch us play them in the Kent County cup, we lost and had to applaud them, left a horrible taste in my mouth

You could not drag me into the home end at palace or millwall let alone clap
  • Options
    Always used to sit in the stand equivalent to our upper north at goodison
    Had I cheered when we scored I don't think I'd got out out alive
  • Options
    I was in the home end at the 1-1 'battle of the bridge'
  • Options
    Got a players family and friends ticket in the Millwall game when we got beat 4-0 a few years ago, worst game of my life which has left a terrible scar on my footballing soul and will never be topped.
  • Options
    Only once. Millwall away for that friendly a few years back, my Millwall supporting mate bought us the tickets. Think we went 2-0 up inside 10 minutes, I was really struggling at that point... ended up losing 4-3.
  • Options
    The Old West Stand at Chelsea when we lost 3-0 in the FA Cup (1995), went with my brother in law and his mates....the stench of dope was overwhelming.