Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Just found this on BBC website

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/skills/4189008.stm

Thought this relevant as successful short passing can only be achieved by good movement and support play - and hard work.

Also, if the movement and support is poor then players get caught in possession and are also forced to play long ball more.

2nd half on Friday we saw the team move and support so much better - it really is a simple game - on paper!

Comments

• Erm not sure if this is serious?
  • Tongue in cheek!
  • Dazzler21 said:

Erm not sure if this is serious?

People will say I'm stating the obvious - which, of course, I am.

My point is that if it is that obvious then why do we see so much static play and so often?

It was the same when I used to watch my local club, Ipswich Town on occasion with my lad when I was involved in local football and couldn't get to The Valley.
    Just before Jim Magilton (and others before and after) left we were served endless hours of static football, the result of which was an angry crowd and poor results.

So, I ask myself why poor movement and support? I bet you regularly ask yourself the same question.

Has professional football become 'just another job' to some players and do they go through the motions, the ups & downs, the same as you and I in our every day working lives?
    Are they playing too much and too often?
    Do they still enjoy the game now that it has become an over-analysed sports science?
    At what point does the fun go out of the game for some players?

As supporters we assume that players will die for the shirt every match and it clearly isn't the case.
    So, this is where the Manager, Coach and man motivation comes in.

It is a very tough life and every time I hear a Manager being slated for a run of poor performances, I sincerely feel for him because he wants the team to perform every game, to give 100% every game, the same as you, I and every other football supporter.