Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Beer Break

Usually give it a miss anyway in January.
Even more so now that as I type, my head is pounding.
Anyone else having a sober month?

Comments

• No way!
  • I've been doing it for years. A medic told me your liver benefits from a three week holiday. After a couple of weeks I find I sleep better ( more deeply). I try to avoid pubs completely. Continental beers with their foaming heads look so beautiful...
  • A break? I'm just getting started!
  • No chance.
  • edited January 2015
    I've got a toddler and am decorating aour new house most evenings at the moment - I take a month off without realising half the time.
  • I'm going dry for January. I've done it for about seven years now. It's easy for the first week then gets harder and I normally cave-in a few days early. I also give up crisps and chocolate.
  • Nope, few beers today
  • Uboat said:

I'm going dry for January. I've done it for about seven years now. It's easy for the first week then gets harder and I normally cave-in a few days early. I also give up crisps and chocolate.

That is especially tough if you give up chocolate too. Apparently because alcohol contains sugar, we are likely to seek out the sugar elsewhere when we give up alcohol.

I also give up coffee, but usually start back on that in the third week, as a reward to keep going on the abstinence.
  • Thought only girls did a "dry January"
  • My wife's birthday is in the middle of January and of course there is Watford away, so no not me. I'll be on the sauce as usual this month!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2015

Usually give it a miss anyway in January.
    Even more so now that as I type, my head is pounding.
    Anyone else having a sober month?

Pathetic.
    ;-)
  • edited January 2015

I've been doing it for years. A medic told me your liver benefits from a three week holiday. After a couple of weeks I find I sleep better ( more deeply). I try to avoid pubs completely. Continental beers with their foaming heads look so beautiful...

Pathetic.
    ;-)
  • Uboat said:

I'm going dry for January. I've done it for about seven years now. It's easy for the first week then gets harder and I normally cave-in a few days early. I also give up crisps and chocolate.

Pathetic.
    ;-)
  • Think of the pub owners....
  • It does you no good - loads of articles about it last year. Abstain a few days every week, works better. And do it in the pub, not at home... ;-)
  • Yep do it every year
  • If anyone is doing this, it might be worth considering taking part in this study: http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07eab5vb34fc966864&llr=jf9hjwhab
  • I was intending to do this, as my body has been rebelling against the amount of beer I've had (and I'm still feeling rough from last night). I usually take daughter or nephew to the game so don't drink there.
    And of course after I decided to do this, I've had loads of offers to attend events that involve beer over January, at least one of which (commemoration of a friend who died last year) I will attend.
    In the last month I've lost the day after 4 times, which I really can't do that regularly so I am going to try to keep out of the pub in January and not have a glass with food either.
    I know my limits, I just forget to stick to them when I've had a few ;)
  • No. Birthday in January so scuppers it... No drink during the week... Well starting from Monday.
  • Impressively, I feel, I managed to avoid alcohol between 28 December and 30 December except for one pint at Welling United. No chance of a quiet January as far as I can see.
  • Sponsored links:

• No way ! My internet order of 24 cans of Belhaven Best and 12 bottles of 80/ arrived yesterday !
  • It does you no good - loads of articles about it last year. Abstain a few days every week, works better. And do it in the pub, not at home... ;-)

It does me good. I've got tons of work to do which might actually get done if I'm not drinking. I stay awake longer and am generally more alert. Also, it's good to check that I can still choose not to drink for a month as I normally drink alcohol every day.
  • Massively hungover. Nothing else worked, so I've gone for a can of Kronenbourg to get me through until the darts starts.

My New Year of health stuff starts next Monday.
  • It's a rubbish enough month already...

Only amateurs need drying out