Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

FA Cup 3rd round weekend fixtures and results.

Starts tonight with:
Cardiff V Colchester on Welsh tv channel

Plus: MK Franchise V Chesterfield in the the 2nd round.

Fancy a Colchester victory to start the 3rd round off with an upset.

Comments

• Chesterfield won the first game 1-0 but forced to replay the match after fielding an ineligible player

so why was they not kicked out
  • Surprised to note that there are no FA Cup matches live on tv tomorrow. I think there are 3 on Sunday but none on Saturday, which seems odd.
  • Only 3,500 tickets sold in advance of Cardiff matches tonight.

• Cardiff ground empty. LOL
  • Cardiff on sky 952 I think
  • Cardiff on sky 952 I think

• Sorry, I knew it was up there with the smut somewhere.
  • Cardiff 1-0 Colchester HT
  • WSS said:

That's the official attendance as well as the channel it's on.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2015

Chesterfield won the first game 1-0 but forced to replay the match after fielding an ineligible player

so why was they not kicked out

That's a very good question.

FA Challenge Cup rule 16(b) clearly states, "where an ineligible player plays for a club in a competition match, the Professional Game Board shall remove the club from the competition, and may impose further penalties against the club." Chesterfield played an ineligible player in the first match and, therefore, could have been removed from the competition.

However, rule 16(c) states, "where the club satisfies the Professional Game Board that the club (or any of its officers) did not know and could not reasonably have known, even had it made every reasonable enquiry (with the exercise of the utmost caution), that the player was ineligible, the club shall not be removed from the competition but may still be subject to any other penalty (e.g. fine, ordered to replay the match)."

The FA Challenge Cup sub-committee which adjudicated, following the charge issued against Chesterfield in relation to the eligibility of Georg Margreitter, concluded that the fairest outcome was to order the tie to be replayed. This was based on the following;

1. That Chesterfield understood the rules relating to The FA Challenge Cup Competition and believed that Georg Margreitter was registered correctly.

2. That, whilst Chesterfield acknowledged that the rules of the competition had been breached, Chesterfield made a plea for leniency on the grounds that they saw the
    matter as a technical breach as permission had been granted for the player to play from his loaning club but just not submitted to The FA in accordance with the
    competition rules.

3. That no deliberate intent to deceive or gain advantage had been shown by Chesterfield.

4. That Chesterfield had acted before and during the hearing with honesty, integrity and transparency at all times.

Seems a remarkably sensible decision to me and its very encouraging to see that the FA has the courage to exercise some judgement rather than just blindly follow the rules. What a contrast to UEFA's pathetic, spineless decision to expel Legia Warsaw from the Champions League.

• Cardiff 1-0 Colchester HT

Thanks, you've spoilt FA Cup Match of the Day for me now.
  • Good luck to Dover on Sunday.
  • Lowest ever attendance at Cardiff city stadium.
    Well done FA way to go to ruin 3rd round magic.
    Spread it over 5 days. Money grabbing arses, the lot of them.
  • MK Dons 0 Chesterfield 1 (Fix?)