Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Crazy Gang

Watched documentary on them last night. Only had a vague idea of them before hand.

Very interesting and gives a lot away. They were unique but probably the most gritty ugly horrible bunch of players you could play against. Was before my time but the dressing room stories sound quite explosive.

They basically already had a psychological upper hand on opponents that went Plough Park before a ball was even kicked. Fear being the key word.
John Fashnus a weird fella.

Anyone watch it?

Comments

• Options
    Am watching it at the moment.

Fashnu is a nasty piece of work. Apparently ending someone's career isn't going too far!
  • Options

Fashnu is a nasty piece of work. Apparently ending someone's career isn't going too far!

Also turning on your own brother because he was gay
  • Options
    What's it on?
  • Options
    BT sport
  • Options

What's it on?

It was on BT Sport. Recorded it a few days ago. Think it is repeated tonight.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Its on again later, BT Sport1 at 9pm today. Seen it flashed up in preamble to Nigels game, COME ON DOVER
  • Options
    Don`t forget Fashanu also played for Millwall...................at the time those two deserved eachother!
  • Options

What's it on?

Can catch it on you tube http://youtu.be/-mSdwrlcbcc
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gumbo said:

This with knobs on ...
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Watched documentary on them last night. Only had a vague idea of them before hand.

Very interesting and gives a lot away. They were unique but probably the most gritty ugly horrible bunch of players you could play against. Was before my time but the dressing room stories sound quite explosive.

They basically already had a psychological upper hand on opponents that went Plough Park before a ball was even kicked. Fear being the key word.
    John Fashnus a weird fella.

Anyone watch it?

Lane.
  • Options
    Riscardo said:

Gumbo said:

This with knobs on ...
    Ha
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Thanks for sharing the link Dave2l.

Fashanu comes across as a complete and utter bell and very strange.

The Gibson comments are interesting.

I now want to know what Eric Young is doing! (Wiki says he an Accountant). A slightly different career path.
  • Options
    Neil Ardley refused to be involved in think Chris perry refused as well not sure
  • Options
    Shame they didn't play against the 70s Leeds team. Fashanu v Charlton and Hunter.....Jones v Bremner.

Didn't mind them at the time but found that programme a bit depressing.
  • Options
    Know someone that played with Fashanu at Norwich early in his career, said he was a nightmare all elbows. Played in reserve game so few fans watching and was having a battle with centre half when all of a sudden he knocked the bloke spark out from behind. Fashanu then fell to the floor rolling around. Couple of the players saw it but it was totally off the ball so ref, managers etc missed it. Coward.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Nug said:

Know someone that played with Fashanu at Norwich early in his career, said he was a nightmare all elbows. Played in reserve game so few fans watching and was having a battle with centre half when all of a sudden he knocked the bloke spark out from behind. Fashanu then fell to the floor rolling around. Couple of the players saw it but it was totally off the ball so ref, managers etc missed it. Coward.

The bloke comes across as just a complete piece of sh*t, with half a brain cell. Didn't stop him from getting a TV career followed by "celebrity" status.

His childhood was probably not ideal but don't we all have problems.
    You still know the difference between right and wrong.

Sounds like no one put him in his place throughout his whole adult life, there's your problem.
    Too used to behaving like a c*nt and getting away with it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chris perry watched it and says:

@ChrisPezPerry: @dave_chilldog22 Parts are accurate, parts are exaggerated and parts are fabricated.
  • Options
    I've just finished watching this and a couple of things come to mind:

The soundtrack was fantastic. Being a teenager in the 80s I loved the music;

Someone should have told Bobby Gould that he had something in the side of his mouth as he looked like he had rabies or something; and

John Fashanu is a proper idiot. He just came across as someone that is desperate to grab attention - any attention at all.

The rest of the players, including Vinnie Jones and Dennis Wise, came across well. The frank comments about life there from those that struggled with it gave credibility to some of the, obvious, exaggerated stories.

Biggest thing, however, was the fact that much of what was on there I didn't know or had forgotten. Even though I was jealous of them at the time as they made our achievements pale into insignificance, when what we achieved at that time was magnificent, by the end of the show I felt I was routing for some of them. Andy Thorne, in particular, came across very humbly, and Wally Downes, having been there since 1978, came across as legend for the club - all be it he left with Beasent and missed the Cup Final.

I hope that BT Sport look to make more documentaries about football clubs and events that were not so well covered by the media at the time and I thought this was a great bit to viewing, even if a lot of it was made up to give those insecure more attention - Fashanu!
  • Options
    Just watched it thanks to the You Tube link above, and would have to concur that Fashanu and Vinny Jones confirmed my previous opinion, as two of the biggest knob-heads I have ever encountered.

Also think that Wally Downes came across as a bit of a horrible bully boy, and that all of the perceived banter and high jinks, would have felt like merciless bullying and torture if you were on the wrong end of it (as I think the John Scales interviews were aimed at demonstrating).

Loved the way that Fashanu implies that Lawrie Sanchez disliked him, because he was a rich black man, thus playing the race/minority card, yet was happy to disown his own brother, who was of course in the minute minority (population of one), of openly gay footballers.
  • Options
    Bunch of tosspots, playing for a tosspot club, in a tosspot ground in front of tosspots.

Love the Terry Gibson reality check linked to above. Don't think he's a particularly good commentator on Spanish football, but he strikes me as a decent bloke whenever he's been interviewed, and talks a lot of sense in that piece.

Fashanu is an utter pillock. Always has been, always will be. Vinnie Jones was actually a pretty decent player - but his Hardman schtick wore thin a couple of decades ago. He's developed into that saddest of all things - a parody of himself