Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Antigua - any advice please?

Enough already with all the football doom and gloom.

I'm taking Mrs D to Antigua in a couple of weeks. First time either of us have been to that island. Anyone been there and got advice on places to go, things to see?

Cheers.

Comments

• Great place,plenty to see and do
  • Not been for a few years. Nice beaches so if you want to chill out its great. If you want to go sight seeing there is not too much to see as its a small island. Not too much night life but that may have changed.

• Nelson's harbour is wonderful and the island of Barbuda north of Antigua if you can get a boat to take you.
  • Nice place, found the people very friendly. Like many of the Caribbean Islands, you can cover pretty much all of the sightseeing in one day with a hire car if you want to.

St Johns is quite small and seems heavily geared towards selling stuff to cruise ship passengers. Worth going for a wander round but don't expect to be blown away.

There a barbecue/piss-up every Sunday at a military lookout point called Shirley Heights - http://www.shirleyheightslookout.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&Itemid=75, hotels usually run minibuses to a from.

Most interesting sightseeing is probably Nelson's Dockyard at English Harbour - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson's_Dockyard

There's also the Sir Viv Richards cricket stadium that was built for the 2007 World Cup.

Other than that, there's not a great deal in particular to go and see, I just found it interesting driving round the island through all the little villages where the locals live.

One other thing, you'll probably see quite a few mongooses - I believe they were artificially introduced to Antigua to get rid of snakes. The downside of this is that the snakes used to get rid of the tarantulas, so you won't any snakes but you might see the occasional tarantula. I was there for a week and saw 2 around our hotel complex (although luckily not anywhere near our bedroom!).
  • edited January 2015
    Lovely place, have been twice a long time back. I dont really remember doing much tourist stuff. Went to St John's for dinner a few times.

Organise your own cab for Sunday nights Shirley Heights party... if you go on the hotel minibus you get dictated to what time you must leave... once all the tourists leave the party really ramps up. Very good fun. How oldish are you?

The catamaran circular tour of the Island is also an excellent day out. Well worth the money. Good snorkelling, excellent food and all you can drink rum... they let me drive the boat on the way back. Hammered.

Must go back.

• MrLargo said:

Nice place, found the people very friendly. Like many of the Caribbean Islands, you can cover pretty much all of the sightseeing in one day with a hire car if you want to.

St Johns is quite small and seems heavily geared towards selling stuff to cruise ship passengers. Worth going for a wander round but don't expect to be blown away.

There a barbecue/piss-up every Sunday at a military lookout point called Shirley Heights - http://www.shirleyheightslookout.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=52&Itemid=75, hotels usually run minibuses to a from.

Most interesting sightseeing is probably Nelson's Dockyard at English Harbour - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson's_Dockyard

There's also the Sir Viv Richards cricket stadium that was built for the 2007 World Cup.

Other than that, there's not a great deal in particular to go and see, I just found it interesting driving round the island through all the little villages where the locals live.

One other thing, you'll probably see quite a few mongooses - I believe they were artificially introduced to Antigua to get rid of snakes. The downside of this is that the snakes used to get rid of the tarantulas, so you won't any snakes but you might see the occasional tarantula. I was there for a week and saw 2 around our hotel complex (although luckily not anywhere near our bedroom!).

I was out there last March for England's 1 day series against the Windies . Can only echo the above comment about the people being the friendliest people you could ever wish to meet. I also recommend Shirley Heights. Enjoy!
  • If you get back to your hire car and two very large local chaps offer to help put your spare tyre on to replace the flat, politely decline and do it yourself or drive off on the flat. They will have let the tyre down in the first place, will demand payment (to fund their crack requirements) and will get very pissed off when you decline.

The Hawksbill has the only "clothing optional" beach on the island.

Antigua has now joined Jamaica in having areas which tourists should steer clear of, unlike Barbados.

• Thanks for the responses so far folks.

We are staying in the Cove Suites, Blue Waters resort in the north of the island, near St Johns. Sounds like it's going to be more relaxation in the sun than too much sightseeing, which will be nice given that our last holiday was a pretty full-on tour of China.

Car hire and boat trip to neighbouring islands sounds good, as does some sailing and snorkelling. We like to eat out at nice restaurants (59 and 55 respectively Curb-It) but not past it just yet so will definitely give the Shirley Heights party a go.

I hate snakes so thank christ for the mongooses - but will keep quiet about the spiders to avoid scaring the living crap out of Mrs D!
  • probably the best holiday i have ever had ...lovely climate ,lovely beaches,lovely people ...had a few games of beach cricket with the locals when i was there and every local just looked as if they could be the next Andy Roberts or Viv Richards ....id advise negotiating an island tour with a local cab driver ..( there is some great history albeit colonial on the Island) the mongeese are a bit of a novelty and the goats that roam free take a bit of getting used to .I stayed at a place called St James Club and would be happy to recommend ...most packages are all inclusive i think
  • Sponsored links:

• Got married on Antigua. One of my closest friends is a lawyer on the Island - if you get into a spot of bother drop me a pm. English Harbour is lovely. I believe they have 365 beaches as well. If anyone offers to carry your bag from the airport to a taxi - they will expect a payment etc.
  • johnny73 said:

Got married on Antigua. One of my closest friends is a lawyer on the Island - if you get into a spot of bother drop me a pm. English Harbour is lovely. I believe they have 365 beaches as well. If anyone offers to carry your bag from the airport to a taxi - they will expect a payment etc.

Cheers Johnny.
  • save ur money mate.
    Go to Woolwich and sit in general Gordon Square with a heat lamp---tour the market for local culture and visit the sea(Thames) front to relax at night. Jobs a good un and save a bundle.
  • MrLargo said:

you can cover pretty much all of the sightseeing in one day with a hire car if you want to.

• Antigua is about the size of the Isle of Wight and it won't take much more than a day to see the sights. We booked guides to drive us around and make stuff up share their detailed knowledge of the island, which is safer than heading out by yourself.
    Basically, hang out on the beach, swim in the warm sea and I'm sure you'll have a lovely time.
  • MrLargo said:

you can cover pretty much all of the sightseeing in one day with a hire car if you want to.

Which reminds me. We played a 'spot the knackered/abandoned car' game with the kids, but had to stop as it was too easy. There's one on every street corner.
  • save ur money mate.
    Go to Woolwich and sit in general Gordon Square with a heat lamp---tour the market for local culture and visit the sea(Thames) front to relax at night. Jobs a good un and save a bundle.

Cheers guys.

An attractive prospect, this. Can just picture the palm trees swaying along the "shore" of Beresford Square. Lovely.
  • I've been to many Caribbean islands but not Antigua. 365 beaches apparently, one for each day. Now that can't be bad can it. :smiley: Enjoy.
  • edited January 2015
    Today's the day - at Gatwick now and really looking forward to the Carribbean sun. Will miss the Wolves and Rotherham games - really hope those going see a much improved performance and we can pick up a win somehow. Fingers also crossed that we bring in a couple of quality signings.

Stay safe and warm amigos
  • When you exit the airport (in Antigua)...look left....that's the Sticky Wicket restaurant/Allen Stanford cricket ground (unless it's been pulled down now that he's doing about 1000 years bird in the USA).
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2015
    Davo55 said:

Will miss the Wolves and Rotherham games

Lucky bastard!