Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Interview nerves

Anyone got any tips? Got an interview and bricking it. Not had one since I was 16.

Cheers.

Comments

• Be confident, research the company, look the interviewer in the eye, firm hand shake.
    Good luck!
  • Think of something other than "How much are you gonna pay me again?" when they smugly ask you if you have any questions for them at the end?
  • Something good like, "How far is it from my desk to the nearest crapper?"
  • Use a swear word straight away, if they seem shocked they ain't worth working for
  • Just say

"Sure Roland, I'll be happy with whichever players Karel finds for me from the network"

: - )
  • Depending on the job, take in a portfolio of past achievements relevant to the role. It'll give you something to talk about and will work as a good prompt to help avoid those awkward silences. Also have a minimum of three questions to ask the interviewer, such as "What would you say are the three key skills needed to excel in this role?"
  • if you prepare questions, make sure you pay attention in the interview to ensure that they have not already covered your questions.
  • Have a practice interview...write down a few questions and get a mate to ask them in an interview setting, if he knows enough about you/the role he can also make some questions up himself. Works wonders.
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't think it is bad to ask interviewers how much you're going to be paid. You know and they know you are there for the money.
  • You can never speak slow enough. When you think you are talking slow, then talk slower.
  • Have a pint before
  • CAFCsayer said:

Have a pint before

And a few chasers and maybe a couple of shots.
  • edited January 2015

CAFCsayer said:

Have a pint before

And a few chasers and maybe a couple of shots.
    Somebody call? :wink:
  • Remember you are interviewing them as well. Why do they deserve your talents?
    Too many people go in worried about getting the job rather than questioning whether they are the right company for them.

• if its just nerves(bricking it ) which it seems to be then the more prepared you are the more confident/at ease you will be( ie research company/website/job spec)

be as smart and as well groomed as possible ...dont overdo it on the aramis

firm handshake required ...but dont dislocate shoulder

if you feel its the nerves that you feel will let you down ...a few tips

good body language is important...eye contact denotes interest which means that you care

modesty never got you a job but dont lie ...you may get asked about achievements for example have this in when preparing

have a half smile on your face (you can practice this in the mirror...obviously dont wear a glazed over cheshire cat grin)

if you are nervous also try to speak a tad louder(with that half smile)

if you are seated just bend slightly towards the interviewer dont slouch back

at end of interview rather than say youve just about covered everything etc ask what opportunities for professional training may exist etc ...even if you dont really mean it its something they will like

• lolwray said:

if its just nerves(bricking it ) which it seems to be then the more prepared you are the more confident/at ease you will be( ie research company/website/job spec)

be as smart and as well groomed as possible ...dont overdo it on the aramis

firm handshake required ...but dont dislocate shoulder

if you feel its the nerves that you feel will let you down ...a few tips

good body language is important...eye contact denotes interest which means that you care

modesty never got you a job but dont lie ...you may get asked about achievements for example have this in when preparing

have a half smile on your face (you can practice this in the mirror...obviously dont wear a glazed over cheshire cat grin)

if you are nervous also try to speak a tad louder(with that half smile)

if you are seated just bend slightly towards the interviewer dont slouch back

at end of interview rather than say youve just about covered everything etc ask what opportunities for professional training may exist etc ...even if you dont really mean it its something they will like

All good advice, but make sure you practice this, as get it slightly wrong and you'll just look constipated
  • WayneK said:

Anyone got any tips? Got an interview and bricking it. Not had one since I was 16.

Cheers.

I interview people sometimes. I'll never be nervous again, because I realise now, everybody is faking it. Your interviewers are just going to work like anyone else, wondering if they're asking the right questions, trying to make sure they're listening to all your responses.
  • I received some training in interviewing and found the most useful and revealing questions are on the lines of "Can you give me an example of when you showed good skills in .............(dealing with a complaint/overcoming a difficult challenge etc, etc) If you give thought to the sort of relevant skills you will need and what you can show by way of previous experience it would be useful and give you confidence. If you don't get asked directly you should be able to bring it up in conversation if it is a half proper interview.

As JiMMy 85 says, the interviewer is under pressure as well, so making his/her life easy in getting relevant information from you will not hurt.
  • Sponsored links:

• remember it's just a conversation about a job essentially. There's a bit of selling yourself but I think showing you're a person who's easy to get along with and develop some rapport with the interviewer can make you stick out. The interviewer is also probably nervous as he's trying to sell the company to you. Even if it doesn't work out, it's all just a learning curve.
  • Remember that an interview is a two-way street and if you handle it well it should appear like a chat. You need to interview the interviewer as much as they interview you. It isn't just "why would I employ them?", rather it should also be "why would I want to work for them?". Do your homework on the company, know who their leaders are and their company's values etc. Go on LinkedIn and find out as much as you can about the interviewer. Ask them why they joined the company, what their short-term and long-term goals are for themselves and the team. Ask about the financial stability of the company etc. You can then map the typical questions you will be asked to the company's values and what your prospective boss is telling you. Questions such as "why should I employ you?" or "what skills can you bring to my team?" should be relatively easy to answer after doing your homework and actively listening to what you're being told.

You should know your CV inside-out as it is a potted history of your working life so they really shouldn't be asking you anything that you don't really know so there's nothing to be really nervous about. Just be yourself and you'll be fine.

Good luck!
  • Read this (taken from the internet) just before you go in for your interview.. You'll realise you're quite normal and it'll hopefully relax you:

We surveyed top personnel executives of 100 major American corporations and asked for stories of unusual behavior by job applicants.

The lowlights:

Said he was so well qualified [that] if he didn't get the job, it would prove that the company's management was incompetent.

Stretched out on the floor to fill out the job application.

Brought her large dog to the interview.

Chewed bubble gum and constantly blew bubbles.

Candidate kept giggling through serious interview.

She wore a Walkman and said she could listen to the music and me at the same time.

Balding candidate abruptly excused himself. Returned to office a few minutes later wearing a hairpiece.

Applicant challenged interviewer to arm wrestle.

Asked to see interviewer's resume to see if the personnel executive was qualified to judge the candidate.

Announced she hadn't had lunch and proceeded to eat a hamburger and French fries in the interviewer's office.

Without saying a word, candidate stood up and walked out during the middle of the interview.

Man wore jogging suit to interview for position as financial vice president.

Said if he were hired, he would demonstrate his loyalty by having the corporate logo tattooed on his forearm.

Interrupted to phone his therapist for advice on answering specific interview questions.

Wouldn't get out of the chair until I would hire him. I had to call the police.

When I asked him about his hobbies, he stood up and started tap dancing around my office.

Had a little pinball game and challenged me to play with him.

Bounced up and down on my carpet and told me I must be highly thought of by the company because I was given such a thick carpet.

Took a brush out of my purse, brushed his hair and left.

Pulled out a Polaroid camera and snapped a flash picture of me. Said he collected photos of everyone who interviewed him.

Candidate asked me if I would put on a suit jacket to insure that the offer was formal.

Said he wasn't interested because the position paid too much.

While I was on a long-distance phone call, the applicant took out a copy of Penthouse, and looked through the photos only, stopping longest at the centerfold.

During the interview, an alarm clock went off from the candidate's briefcase. He took it out, shut it off, apologized and said he had to leave for another interview.

A telephone call came in for the job applicant. It was from his wife. His side of the conversation went like this: "Which company? When do I start? What's the salary?" I said, "I assume you're not interested in conducting the interview any further." He promptly responded, "I am as long as you'll pay me more." I didn't hire him, but later found out there was no other job offer. It was a scam to get a higher offer.

An applicant came in wearing only one shoe. She explained that the other shoe was stolen off her foot in the bus.

His attache [case] opened when he picked it up and the contents spilled, revealing ladies' undergarments and assorted makeup and perfume.

He came to the interview with a moped and left it in the reception area. He didn't want it to get stolen, and stated that he would require indoor parking for the moped.

He took off his right shoe and sock, opened a medicated foot powder and dusted it on the foot and in the shoe. While he was putting back the shoe and sock, he mentioned that he had to use the powder four times a day, and this was the time.

Candidate said he really didn't want to get a job, but the unemployment office needed proof that he was looking for one.

He whistled when the interviewer was talking.

Asked who the lovely babe was, pointing to the picture on my desk. When I said it was my wife, he asked if she was home now and wanted my phone number. I called security.

She threw up on my desk, and immediately started asking questions about the job, like nothing had happened.

Pointing to a black case he carried into my office, he said that if he was not hired, the bomb would go off. Disbelieving, I began to state why he would never be hired and that I was going to call the police. He then reached down to the case, flipped a switch and ran. No one was injured, but I did need to get a new desk.

Asked if I wanted some cocaine before starting the interview.
  • Revise ten things you want to say about yourself at the interview. You won't get an opportunity to say them all, but you should be able to mould many of them to fit questions you will get asked. This is particularly important if your head goes blank under pressure. Just write them down and read them aloud several times.
  • Just imagine the interviewer naked. Unless, of course, she is a good looking woman - as an untimely porker can cause offence.
  • Macronate said:

Read this (taken from the internet) just before you go in for your interview.. You'll realise you're quite normal and it'll hopefully relax you:

We surveyed top personnel executives of 100 major American corporations and asked for stories of unusual behavior by job applicants.

The lowlights:

Said he was so well qualified [that] if he didn't get the job, it would prove that the company's management was incompetent.

I was going to offer some words of wisdom, but I think you can take your pick from the l

Stretched out on the floor to fill out the job application.

Brought her large dog to the interview.

Chewed bubble gum and constantly blew bubbles.

Candidate kept giggling through serious interview.

She wore a Walkman and said she could listen to the music and me at the same time.

Balding candidate abruptly excused himself. Returned to office a few minutes later wearing a hairpiece.

Applicant challenged interviewer to arm wrestle.

Asked to see interviewer's resume to see if the personnel executive was qualified to judge the candidate.

Announced she hadn't had lunch and proceeded to eat a hamburger and French fries in the interviewer's office.

Without saying a word, candidate stood up and walked out during the middle of the interview.

Man wore jogging suit to interview for position as financial vice president.

Said if he were hired, he would demonstrate his loyalty by having the corporate logo tattooed on his forearm.

Interrupted to phone his therapist for advice on answering specific interview questions.

Wouldn't get out of the chair until I would hire him. I had to call the police.

When I asked him about his hobbies, he stood up and started tap dancing around my office.

Had a little pinball game and challenged me to play with him.

Bounced up and down on my carpet and told me I must be highly thought of by the company because I was given such a thick carpet.

Took a brush out of my purse, brushed his hair and left.

Pulled out a Polaroid camera and snapped a flash picture of me. Said he collected photos of everyone who interviewed him.

Candidate asked me if I would put on a suit jacket to insure that the offer was formal.

Said he wasn't interested because the position paid too much.

While I was on a long-distance phone call, the applicant took out a copy of Penthouse, and looked through the photos only, stopping longest at the centerfold.

During the interview, an alarm clock went off from the candidate's briefcase. He took it out, shut it off, apologized and said he had to leave for another interview.

A telephone call came in for the job applicant. It was from his wife. His side of the conversation went like this: "Which company? When do I start? What's the salary?" I said, "I assume you're not interested in conducting the interview any further." He promptly responded, "I am as long as you'll pay me more." I didn't hire him, but later found out there was no other job offer. It was a scam to get a higher offer.

An applicant came in wearing only one shoe. She explained that the other shoe was stolen off her foot in the bus.

His attache [case] opened when he picked it up and the contents spilled, revealing ladies' undergarments and assorted makeup and perfume.

He came to the interview with a moped and left it in the reception area. He didn't want it to get stolen, and stated that he would require indoor parking for the moped.

He took off his right shoe and sock, opened a medicated foot powder and dusted it on the foot and in the shoe. While he was putting back the shoe and sock, he mentioned that he had to use the powder four times a day, and this was the time.

Candidate said he really didn't want to get a job, but the unemployment office needed proof that he was looking for one.

He whistled when the interviewer was talking.

Asked who the lovely babe was, pointing to the picture on my desk. When I said it was my wife, he asked if she was home now and wanted my phone number. I called security.

She threw up on my desk, and immediately started asking questions about the job, like nothing had happened.

Pointing to a black case he carried into my office, he said that if he was not hired, the bomb would go off. Disbelieving, I began to state why he would never be hired and that I was going to call the police. He then reached down to the case, flipped a switch and ran. No one was injured, but I did need to get a new desk.

Asked if I wanted some cocaine before starting the interview.

I was going to offer some words of wisdom, but I think you'll find all you need here.
  • WayneK said:

Cheers.

One thing I've learnt is, that, from the other day, my boss was being completely thick and I was frustrated that he could not understand what I was suggesting.

I had a bit of a go at him. My annoyance became uncontainable. The end result was not an argument, It just got me more respect and more freedom to take the piss.

This is crap advice...but, a sort of, message.

The "Being confident" should not just be a front, it should almost be like talking to a mate down the pub (the advice sounds like its getting worse)

They will respect you as after all they are not above you in any sense, and only human. Have a bit of bollocks about you. A job is a job, work is work, but make 100% sure the job works well for you and you get want you want out of it. Asking such questions in an almost demanding manner will make you seem a lot interested in the job and like you are taking it seriously for the long term.

Good luck.