Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Parking at Lombard Trading Estate - Warning.

edited April 2007 in General Charlton
This 'secure' parking area is on the roundabout at Anchor and Hope lane and Bugsbys Way. On saturday several car windows got smashed and contents nicked. If you park there on match days dont leave wallets in the car like a couple of people did!! As if the day wasnt bad enough already.

Comments

• Options
    Our car got done, not far from there, about a year ago. I'd put money on all the cars that got done having some sort of sat nav equipment on display... (be it just a cradle, charger etc)

Oh and do you think the OB were interested? Were they f**k
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    It doesn't even have to be on display - if they can see the circle mark left by the suction thingy on the windscreen, you're in trouble.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Our car got done, not far from there, about a year ago. I'd put money on all the cars that got done having some sort of sat nav equipment on display... (be it just a cradle, charger etc)

Oh and do you think the OB were interested? Were they f**k
    It doesn't even have to be on display - if they can see the circle mark left by the suction thingy on the windscreen, you're in trouble.

Yep, very true. Stupidly we'd left the cradle attached to the windscreen. Thankfully the device was at home....
  • Options
    i dont have sat-nav, and i leave an A-Z on the passenger seat to hopefully deter a potential window smashing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]i leave an A-Z on the passenger seat to hopefully deter a potential window smashing.

Now that's a seriously good idea. Nice one PBS!
  • Options
    why don't the police set up a bait car - and then sit & wait for the little scrotes to turn up - a common tactic over here

i know the answer is that they are too busy issuing speeding tickets - i guess that even if caught the thieves would get off with a polite warning & an all expenses paid safari trip with a social worker
  • Options
    Police, do something? Oakster, stop messing around fella!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]why don't the police set up a bait car - and then sit & wait for the little scrotes to turn up - a common tactic over here

i know the answer is that they are too busy issuing speeding tickets - i guess that even if caught the thieves would get off with a polite warning & an all expenses paid safari trip with a social worker

[cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Police, do something? Oakster, stop messing around fella!

agreed medders, too busy tryin to nick people who go 32 in a 30!
  • Options
    Well don't speed and give the Police the excuse then.

Actually the police have set up "stings" this season and nicked a whole gang who were doing just this to the south of the ground.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Well don't speed and give the Police the excuse then.

Actually the police have set up "stings" this season and nicked a whole gang who were doing just this to the south of the ground.

Don't stick up for them Ben, they are not interested in looking after the law abiding majority just the law bending scum.

The last time I got a ticket for speeding it was for doing 56 in a 50. It came through 48 hours after the offence.

My car got broken into at the start of March and I still haven't had a call back, let alone a visit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2007
    Do you not see the obvious contradiction between 'law abiding majority' and 'The last time I got a speeding ticket...'?
  • Options
    Is that as bad as stealing a car then? Or is it more serious?

I didn't intend to speed and don't see how going 6 miles an hour over a speed limit was going to be of benefit me in any way or affect anyone else legally or illegally.

I understand people need to be kept under control as spped limits are there for a reason, and I would have no gripe whatsoever if the more serious crimes were not swept under the carpet. As it stands though, they are.

As I own my car, tax, MOT and insure it, I'm an easy nick.

Bad me for doing 6 mph over the limit
  • Options
    i find it funny how peopel think speeding isn't a real offence
    same as people who complain about bank charges if they go overdrawn, or traffic wardens giving out tickets to those that park illegally.

don't speed and you won't get a fine, don't park illegally and you won't have to fear traffic wardens, and don't go overdrawn if you don't want to get charged!

simple!
  • Options
    But is it as serious as stealing a car?!

I don't think so
  • Options
    Agreed Suzi
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]Bad me for doing 6 mph over the limit

what made you drive 6 mph over? its deemed 'careless' as its illegal, so you are driving with undue care and attention as you're supposed to be driving under 50.

what if you hit someone? your case if you were doing 50, would work out better for you than if you were doing 56.
  • Options
    I don't know, speeding in a 20 near a school is fuckwittery of the highest level, biggest cause of child death are road traffic accidents, speeding full stop is pretty stupid.

It's all naughty m'kay
  • Options
    I understand where you are coming from Carter, very frustrating.
  • Options
    Lock him up Sooze eh

You never gone over the speed limit , ever ?
  • Options
    There was no traffic in front of me, it was half past six in the morning!

I was driving at a speed which was safe and of no danger to anyone on a stretch of road that was previously national limit and went into a stretch of road that is currently national limit. As I say I wouldn't mind if the same efficiency was applied to other areas of policing, but it's not.

If I was driving a stolen vehicle would I have got an automated ticket to my home address?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]But is it as serious as stealing a car?!

I don't think so

if someone is driving down a road and speeding and the police in the area get to that call before they can respond to your call about a stolen car, then its the speeders you should be angry with, not the police.

they have to waste their time getting people to adhere to rules which means they can't get on with other things

if someone speeding leads to the knocking down of someone then yes, it is potentially more dangerous than stealing a car.

prevention is more important than retribution (if thats the right word?)
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]Lock him up Sooze eh

You never gone over the speed limit , ever ?

i dont have a car, but yeah, i have speeded in my time I'm sure, but if i got caught, fair cop innit.

all i'm saying, people can't whinge if they get caught out doing something wrong.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I don't know, speeding in a 20 near a school is fuckwittery of the highest level, biggest cause of child death are road traffic accidents, speeding full stop is pretty stupid.

It's all naughty m'kay

Totally agree, but how many mobile speed traps do you see outside schools?

I can't think of any in the area I live and it makes my blood boil when people tear round in built up areas but I have never, ever seen anyone driving dangerously in a built up area get caught!
  • Options
    Accident prevention is what the police want to do, as it saves them time later, when a speeding motorist hits a kid on a side road and they end up with all the man power sorting out a serious Road traffic accident.

I know it's not good that cars are being nicked and stuff nicked out of them, but the police can't be everywhere all the time.
  • Options
    It's not a competition about which is worse. The Sat-nav theives actions doesn't justify someone elses.

As it happens (and I know this cos I sit on the Safety Advisory Group with the Police) police got called away from the Valley earlier in the season due to a fatal car accident on Shooters Hill when a car hit some children on the pavement.

On the same day Charlton fans had their cars broken into. Would the sat nav theives be justified in saying "why aren't you out nicking real criminals like murdering drivers rather than us, it's all covered by their insurance anyway"?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Carter[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I don't know, speeding in a 20 near a school is fuckwittery of the highest level, biggest cause of child death are road traffic accidents, speeding full stop is pretty stupid.

It's all naughty m'kay

Totally agree, but how many mobile speed traps do you see outside schools?

I can't think of any in the area I live and it makes my blood boil when people tear round in built up areas but I have never, ever seen anyone driving dangerously in a built up area get caught!

I have, there are a couple of mobile units that hang round schools, went to pick my sister up from Thorntree, and the police had nicked 9 drivers in 30 minutes for doing over 20 in a 20, they do the work, but it's getting the resources right, and so most schools now have raised areas, single lane, chicanes etc outside them, to stop lairy bastards driving to quick.
  • Options
    Suz, what about when the speed limit is clearly set in order to make people speed, like changing from 70 > 50 > 70 > 50 when there is no difference in surroundings, at all.

In my experience the police are totally worthless and offer no help at all, my place got done over a few months back and some stuff from my room got taken (360, PC Tower, Laptop) when the police finally arrived, you know what their first remark was 'heh, your rooms a bit of a mess' No s*** it was trashed, I mean i had just been burgled.
  • Options
    I didn't want them to actually attend and waste manpower, all I wanted was a crime number for the insurance! The wee shites who broke in would have been long gone.

And I also appreciate they cannot be everywhere all the time, but surely they can be more efficiently deployed? A speed camera outside every school would stop the speeding and then the onus has to be on parents, teachers and road safety officers to educate children in road safety.
  • Options
    For what it's worth Carter i can totally see where you're coming from. Fair do's if you were speeding on a stretch of road that was a danger to others (ie. outside a school as has been said), but to be done for being 6mph over the speed limit at half 6 in the morning is a bit much. I always thought drivers were given a few mph leeway anyway but obviously not.
    Out of interest where was it you were caught?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]Suz, what about when the speed limit is clearly set in order to make people speed, like changing from 70 > 50 > 70 > 50 when there is no difference in surroundings, at all.

really? i never thought they'd set traps like that to catch people. surely there are reasons to the change in speed. i know that on the a20 from kent to lewisham the speed changes from 70 to 50 then to 40 because its more built up and there is a junction. there are speed cameras there but plenty of reminders on the road and at the roadside informing you of the speed. speed surely is only reduced when there is a possible hazard. a joining lane/slip road/light restriction or crossing. maybe you haven't noticed the hazard as you don't use it? I dunno.
    [cite]Posted By: Stu of SE7[/cite]In my experience the police are totally worthless and offer no help at all, my place got done over a few months back and some stuff from my room got taken (360, PC Tower, Laptop) when the police finally arrived, you know what their first remark was 'heh, your rooms a bit of a mess' No s*** it was trashed, I mean i had just beenburgled

sorry to hear about your stuff, and about the individual police you had to deal with, not helpful at all.