Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Photography

Comments

• Options
    Saw the thread and was going to ask about 'that' book and now going to put it in my birthday list.

I purchased a Nikon D3200 a couple of years back and although their base DSLR, it was was great to have control again, over depth-of-field and such-like.

I'd had point and shoots for years since the 80s when I had Practika and Pentax SLRs and a Paterson darkroom.

I shoot in jpg, mostly family shots and as the family are quite young haven't got time to indulge myself more. In future will try RAW as photoshop is pretty much my trade (although from a printing perspective).
  • Options
    One other piece of advice... If your going to get another strap I'd advise going for one of the below, feels a lot more comfortable and is useful if you want quick access for a shot that suddenly comes along, definitely find it better than the one that goes round your neck as that made me feel like a constant tourist, not to mention it digging into the back of my neck.

• Options

One other piece of advice... If your going to get another strap I'd advise going for one of the below, feels a lot more comfortable and is useful if you want quick access for a shot that suddenly comes along, definitely find it better than the one that goes round your neck as that made me feel like a constant tourist, not to mention it digging into the back of my neck.

Yeah, better to look like a cock than a tourist I suppose ... :-)
  • Options

Old grey git and hair product - rarely a good match!
  • Options
    I am surprised so many people are interested in photography. I had always kept quiet for fear of being associated with train spotters etc etc.

Q - can you take DSLRs to Charlton to take snaps? Seen at some sporting events, the stewards get a bit funny about it.
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

I am surprised so many people are interested in photography. I had always kept quiet for fear of being associated with train spotters etc etc.

Q - can you take DSLRs to Charlton to take snaps? Seen at some sporting events, the stewards get a bit funny about it.

Depends on club to club and sport to sport.

I dont know about others but I've usually sent an email to the press office to find out if ok in advance. Didnt want to get there and then find I couldnt get in.

General rule I read somewhere is that if the lens is handheld, you'll be ok. If you need a monopod (like for a big 400mm f2.8 lens or something like that), then you're likely to need a press pass and will be stopped from going in.

I've happily taken my dSLR to Lords, the Oval and Edgbaston for the T20 finals day without any issue from the stewards.
  • Options
    Same as John Boy, taken mine to The Oval with no problems at all.

I can't remember who but someone on here used to take shots at games and then post them up. They were taken with either a DSLR or bridge I think.
  • Options
    I've got a Fuji finepix S series ,how do you take pics in raw? (or even in the raw)
  • Options

I've got a Fuji finepix S series ,how do you take pics in raw? (or even in the raw)

For the latter, I'd use a macro setting and a pair of tweezers........
  • Options
    I've
    cafcfan said:

For the latter, I'd use a macro setting and a pair of tweezers........
    I've tried but can't get rid of the "hand shake"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Stefan postma (former Aston villa goalie) can provide valuable advice regarding strap on's)....or at least his wife can.
  • Options
    Lots of good advice on this thread, If any of you photography folk are heading to Wolves Im exhibiting some of my photos in Wolverhampton Art Gallery at the moment. First studio on the left as you go through the main door. do add a cafc note in the comments book :)
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

I emailed 2 clubs to ask permission and this is what I got:
    Huddersfiled - checked with Football League who said no due to copyright
    Charlton - asked Katrein and no answer, didn't expect her to answer but thought sh might get someone else to

I believe at some clubs if you ask and say the images are for personal use rather than commercial they are OK
  • Options
    There's a young chap sits at the front of the north upper always seems to have a camera. I've never seen him troubled by a steward.
  • Options

jamescafc said:

I emailed 2 clubs to ask permission and this is what I got:
    Huddersfiled - checked with Football League who said no due to copyright
    Charlton - asked Katrein and no answer, didn't expect her to answer but thought sh might get someone else to

I believe at some clubs if you ask and say the images are for personal use rather than commercial they are OK
    Believe it or not you are not allowed to take photos within the ground (This may just be of the match I am not sure) due to copyright issues. Basically, the football league 'own' any photo taken within the ground and to officially take photos you would need to have press accreditation.

It is unfeasible for any club to crack down on it but they may take action if you go in with a pro camera and a big f**k off zoom lens.

I have taken some good shots with a very good 'point and click' camera which had a very good optical zoom though an had no trouble.
  • Options

You look a bigger cock picking up a grands worth of camera and lens with a dustpan and brush! ;)

• Options
    Just wanted to bump this thread as curious to know if there are any Wedding Photographers on here?
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Have only had a chance to head out snapping a couple of times. A few snaps from my first attempt (trip to Dungeoness) are attached. First time I've shown them to anyone I don't know so be gentle!

Edit.....photos don't seem to be working!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    My Mum and Dads wedding pictures always bring a lump to my throat...

• Options
    Might just be me Clem but your jpegs aren't showing up when selected by cursor.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dungeness is a great spot for photographers to get something a little unusual. I've been out there a few times. Unfortunately I can't see your photos here.

To add to the list of photographers here, I am, and my dad likes to take photos as well @wwtone
  • Options
    Seems to be an issue on the site with photos at the moment.

Have a feeling Ken's photos from the meeting last night didn't upload either.

Admin?
  • Options
    Seems to be the case.
  • Options

Just wanted to bump this thread as curious to know if there are any Wedding Photographers on here?

Nope, but I do know the Kent Wedding Photographer of the Year. She's doing my son's wedding on 30th May. Don't know when your happy day is but she's booked up for the rest of this year. PM me for her number if you're interested.
  • Options
    Ok peeps, advice please. Considering a major upgrade. Torn between the Canon EOS 7d mark 2 and the 5d mark 3. Will be investing in some glass too, a couple of f2.8s, a short 24-70 or 17-55 and a 70-200. I've dreamt about having a proper go at photography over the years and the way my life is going, it'll be nice to have a hobby which could potentially become a career sideline.

Any thoughts or recommendations welcome.
  • Options
    I've got a 7D mk1 and absolutely love it. In truth though I would probably have got the 5D if I could have afforded it. I guess the key thing is to carefully consider what type of photography you want to get into and study the specifications of both bodies. I think the main advantage of the 5D is that it's got a full frame sensor. This clearly puts it in the professional spectrum whilst the 7D is more advanced amateur/semi-pro level. The 7D does have it's advantages (other than price) though. The biggie for me is the frame burst, I can get 8 shots per second from my machine, whilst you only get 6 from the 5D. That might not seem like much, but it can make all the difference if your subject matter is constantly changing and you're looking for the instant something happens - for example in wildlife or sport. Or some of the subjects I've enjoyed shooting - corks coming out of bottles, balloons bursting and the like.
  • Options
    I upgraded from a 60D to a 5D3 two years ago and just love the camera, however the new 7D2 sounds an excellent piece of kit and as Stig says you really have to decide what you want from the camera and see which one does what you want. If it were me I might go for the 7D2 and spend the saving on lenses, but that is said without ever holding the newer model and is nothing against my 5D3.
  • Options
    For me, I think I'd like to do portrait stuff and sports photography mainly, although my friend is encourgaging me down the 5D3 route so I can go shooting with him on his wedding shoots. The 7D does 10fps now and the x1.6 crop would come in extremely handy on the 200mm lens.

But then the draw of helping out on wedding shoots is a huge draw too.
  • Options
    There is a forum for photography which has some really good advice on there. (Am I allowed to "advertise" that on here? Please delete if it's not. If it is, I will edit with the website). I belong to it and it can be really useful on there for questions about starting up in photography. But a word of warning, have a little browse round and look at what has already been asked first. There are some really cranky people on there (not just me haha)
  • Options
    I do like photography, just not sure about a career as such when there are so many photographers and photography companies about! Here's a picture I took on the weekend anyway... image