Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kindle white paper vs ipad

Have ipad but told kindle better for the eyes, and was given one for xmas by the wife

Any views?

Also will kindle load none kindle ebooks, pdfs, etc?

Cheers

R

Comments

• Can't say which is better. But there's a piece of free software called "Calibre E-book manager" which has lots of great tools. Including stuff like a converter from large numbers of formats to, well, large numbers of formats.
    So, for example, if you've got a lengthy PDF, you can convert it to Kindle speak (MOBI?) and read it on your kindle on the way to work.
    An example of use: I found a pdf guide book for New Zealand which I converted and took away with me on my Kindle, which was helpful and compact.
  • Use Calibre Book Management all the time... Very useful tool
  • Do you mean paperwhite? If so is a bookreader.
    Isn't really comparable to an ipad which is a tablet.
    Not a fan of kindle as I prefer ebub format.
  • Thanks, got Calibre, and aware of incompatibilities and the difference, just really wondering if its possible to read other formats, sounds like Cailbre might be the way
  • To be honest for that reason I brought the Google Nexus... Its the rival to the Samsung Galaxy Tablet and iPad but it allows you to have Google Play Books / Amazon Kindle / Kobo so that if a book is only available under one of those three it means I can still purchase and read it
  • I used to love the kindle, much better on the eyes than the iPad and the battery seems to last a few weeks, whereas the iPad lasts a day, at best?

But recently I decided I just like buying books and seeing them on the shelf, giving them away to people who I think will like them, etc.
  • razil said:

Thanks, got Calibre, and aware of incompatibilities and the difference, just really wondering if its possible to read other formats, sounds like Cailbre might be the way

So @razil you'll be using it to make Kindle-friendly versions of the Trust publications then?
  • I prefer a dog eared paperback myself.
  • cafcfan said:

razil said:

Thanks, got Calibre, and aware of incompatibilities and the difference, just really wondering if its possible to read other formats, sounds like Cailbre might be the way

So @razil you'll be using it to make Kindle-friendly versions of the Trust publications then?
    Only if we find some more graphic designers who want to help do Trust News, in general we could do with some more folk helping out and one area is indesign anyone on CL fancy helping out drop me a line? we did do a pdf version, and there is the e-version of course. I may try and see if it can be made kindle friendly, insuspect its too graphical

• Sponsored links:

• Only an insane person would read regularly on an ipad.

I have both and would never consider reading a book from my ipad.
  • Kindle easier on the eyes that is for sure.
    The wavelengths of light which will emanate from the screens of PC's, TV's, phones and tablets are all ones which stimulate the brain. Okay during the day but not great for reading in bed. If you're one for ending your day with a good read, kindle is ideal.
    You can have a number of Kindles or Kindle apps which sync your account so you can have the same content across your devices if you want to use both Kindle and iPad...
  • I have both iPad and kindle paper white. Would never consider reading on iPad and love my kindle. Battery lasts ages. You can email PDFs. Can only read kindle books but cheaper, many free and if you have prime can get many free books.
  • What do you mean email pdfs?
  • You can set an email address to your kindle then email docs to your device You can't as far as I can tell change size of font as you can with books but handy for work stuff.
  • Like comparing a Ferrari to a Fiat lol