Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Elvis

edited January 2015 in Not Sports Related
Would have been 80 today.....

Comments

• and Bikey is 30 today
  • Would have been tucking in (to) the gateaux
  • David Bowie is 68 today
  • The Elvis programmes around Xmas were very interesting, a terrible waste of life and talent. The most amazing statistic for me was that his manager Col Parker received 50% of his earnings. Don't let Roland know.
  • Elvis ain't dead I know someone who knows someone who's mum's friends sisters dogs mums owners old neighbour saw him in Burger King last week...so happy 80th big man! :-)
  • Had this done about 6-7 years ago the hairs on my leg distort it a lot
  • Riviera said:

I think they have been a tad generous there. In my estimation he would of been the size of a detached 3 bed room house by now... Er her her!
  • dancafc said:

Had this done about 6-7 years ago the hairs on my leg distort it a lot

May I be the first to ask, why?
  • dancafc said:

Because of his blue suede shoes.
  • Sponsored links:

• There's a guy down the chip shop claims he's Elvis....
  • Stone ?

Don't be Cruel
  • Brooklyn Bowl in the o2 has an Elvis night on Saturday. A few rockabilly and rock n' roll bands playing. I've seen one of them live before and they put on a great show of tracks from Sun Records.
  • dancafc said:

Now that's what I call a king pin............
  • edited January 2015
    dancafc said:

They sure do
  • Read the Albert Goldman book........
    Which nearly all Elvis fan's hated at the time.....like Goldman I was not a fan, but at the end of the book I was a fan of the singer.
    Parker was the cause of a lot of Elvis's issues later on in life. Goldman claimed that Elvis could not tour the UK as he could not obtain a passport? He was Dutch?......
    Made him do 'dumb movies', and sing songs for the cabaret circuit, and spilled the beans on the drugs and the sex antics..... All I know is no singer has ever had a better stage act, and that the guy was the 'first,' yes there were others. The guy came from a simple background, he was a country boy from Tupelo. I loved the stories, about closing the highways so he could ride his cars and bikes...... Flying his friends halfway across the country to buy peanut sandwiches!. Of course there were contradictions. His food binges, drugs, etc. But do you want your rock stars to be saints and accountants!......... I Think you end up with Cliff Richard......... and the jury is out on that guy at present. ( anyway he based his first stage act on Elvis)
  • edited January 2015
    When i waxed my legs for charity a few years back it really stood out but I'm not doing that you lot
  • dancafc said:

Coz he's a great.iv got John lennon on the other side of that leg
  • dancafc said:

When 8 waxed my legs for charity a few years back it really stood out but I'm not doing that you lot

Waxing the legs of an 8 year old! Surely that's child cruelty.
  • Certainly a legend, sadly destroyed by drugs. However tainted by his questionable interest in underage girls throughout his life.
  • Sponsored links:

• Riviera said:

Only if he hadn't died of something else, which the odds are he would have!

Great excuse to listen to some of his stuff though. Hell of a voice.
  • I don't expect this to go down well but he was no better than Gary Glitter and Bill Wyman.
  • I don't expect this to go down well but he was no better than Gary Glitter and Bill Wyman.

So who are your putting forward then as a 'role model'........

I hope to God, Allah, Guru Nanak, Shiva et al that this thread isn't about role models.

I hope to God, Allah, Guru Nanak, Shiva et al that this thread isn't about role models.

Exactly........ no one then.? It will be a small list .......I am guessing. I have never bought an Elvis record in my life fellow, so I am not outraged!
    As I had posted, Elvis was not without his considerable issues, that are well documented, in fact my original post cites the first negative book on Elvis after his death, If you think that was bad, you should read the author's other book on Lennon, who's picture I use to post. Did he have his demon's....... 'kin right' he did.
  • I get what you're saying but I can't see beyond the man and his 'demons' to appreciate his music. Maybe that's a failing with me, I don't know.

Not saying that everyone will be the same but my moral compass won't let me listen to one of his songs without a voice in my head screaming 'paedo'. Much like I can't look at Ched Evans without the same voice screaming 'rapist'.

I'll have to admit ignorance with regards to Lennon as I've never like the Beatles or their music. Just not my bag.
  • I get what you're saying but I can't see beyond the man and his 'demons' to appreciate his music. Maybe that's a failing with me, I don't know.

Not saying that everyone will be the same but my moral compass won't let me listen to one of his songs without a voice in my head screaming 'paedo'. Much like I can't look at Ched Evans without the same voice screaming 'rapist'.

I'll have to admit ignorance with regards to Lennon as I've never like the Beatles or their music. Just not my bag.

Very strange way to go through life......
  • Riviera said:

I get what you're saying but I can't see beyond the man and his 'demons' to appreciate his music. Maybe that's a failing with me, I don't know.

Very strange way to go through life......
    Thanks. I'll take that as a compliment.

To be honest, I'd rather have that little voice screaming at me as opposed to ignoring vile failings and tendencies in order to listen to some music or appreciate the small amount of 'good' they may have done. Now, to me, that's strange. Each to their own though.

I won't lose any sleep over it.