Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Feb half term holiday in USA, ideas please....

Prompted by the latest Vegas thread, I'm looking to go away for the week in half term in Feb. It's going to be our main family holiday this year as my wife is not going to be able to take any other time off, so we thought we'd head back to the US for 'an adventure' (we went to Florida in August: Orlando, Miami, Key West - fantastic holiday and highly recommended).. There's my wife and I and a ten year old son and I've been looking at New Orleans, 'dude ranches' in Texas or the coast drive from LA to San Fran (or vice versa).. We've never been on ski's and don't really want to start, so would preferably try and stay south to (if possible) avoid snow...anyone on here got any 'must do's' that I should think about? Cheers

Comments

• for a week? .. try the Carolinas ..
  • probably won't be priced much more than the 4-day self catering break i was quoted for Butlins in the Feb half term...
  • probably won't be priced much more than the 4-day self catering break i was quoted for Butlins in the Feb half term...

Skeggy in February ? .. you're a VERY brave family .. Minehead might be a bit milder
  • February is VERY early in the Year. Trouble is the interesting down south bits (Arizona, Utah, Big Bend NP Tx for example) can also be at quite high altitude and therefore decidedly chilly. I was going to suggest Arizona taking in Tombstone with the OK Corral and Boothhill (Kids love that sort of stuff and it is interesting) but it's still only about 15 - 16 degree highs at that time of year.

• thanks @cafcfan‌ it doesn't have to be a sunny/warm holiday, so am going to check that out. Cheers.

@AFKABartram‌ Butlins is bloomin expensive any time of the year mate - they've been putting on a live stage version of one of my wife's shows and that doesn't come cheap ;-)
  • We spend Christmas is southern California as I mentioned on the other thread and it is 20-22 degrees or so. May not sound a lot but coming from the UK to strong sunshine and no wind with zero cloud cover Feb should be lovely. Grab a flight in to LA (do BA do San Diego direct?) and do the west coast.

We did South Texas in November 2013 (so kind of winter sun). Flew in to Houston and that was warm.
  • Spend a week labouring with The Amish!
  • Long flight going to LA/and back for a week fella.?
    Went to the state 2 times with my twin son's both on a fly drive, but with a pre-booked car/destination.
    First time: Florida, week at the theme parks and St Pete's beach holiday when they were 6. They loved it.
    10 years later, went back to California 14 day's from LA, San Diego, Vegas, and Grand Canyon. Scottsdale.
    Promised myself my wife and I would go back and do the route 66, Westcoast Drive...... Carmel etc.
    Just drive, and stop where we fancy...... Great part of the world, I would go tommorow if I had the money......
  • LA to SF in February could be very wet...Nawlins has its Mardi Gras in February I think? That may be a time to avoid, depending if you want to get involved with teenage yanks drunk off their heads? Carolinas may be OK, but you would need to be lucky with the weather in that month. Best bet is Vegas, and surrounds (Death Valley, Hoover Dam, San Diego, and LA?) IMO, unless you want a return to Florida.
  • Good thing is that that half-term holiday is not a school holiday in the USA, so the prices don't jump.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good thing is that that half-term holiday is not a school holiday in the USA, so the prices don't jump.

Chicago - you don't happen to know when the kids go back after their summer hols? We are in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and Delaware from 18th August for 2 weeks and my wife had a feeling they go back earlier than the UK (she went to school in Newport Beach for a few years and they went back in August but wasn't sure if it differs by state).
  • I can't recommend Austin highly enough after visiting in November.

http://www.austintexas.org/visit/
  • for a week? .. try the Carolinas ..

Can be very cold in Feb.
  • Thanks all - lots to consider..and good shout @Callumcafc‌ on Austin - was there in Oct 2013 for a music festival and it was awesome...worried my son might get a bit bored there though..

Off to do some more googling..thanks

Chicago - you don't happen to know when the kids go back after their summer hols? We are in Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and Delaware from 18th August for 2 weeks and my wife had a feeling they go back earlier than the UK (she went to school in Newport Beach for a few years and they went back in August but wasn't sure if it differs by state).
    They go back at around the same time as the UK schools. The break up much, much earlier.

They go back at around the same time as the UK schools. The break up much, much earlier.

Cheers. Was aware they break up in June so appears that they just have more down time in the summer. Though with less half term days etc.
  • edited January 2015
    I drove from LA to SF in early March (1992) and the weather was fine, though not warmer than about 20C. Fabulous drive, beautiful scenery and San Fran is my favourite city with lots to do and see, and just being there is an entertainment in itself.

I had run out of money and had to sleep in my car for a couple of nights, and wasn't cold. Friendly city too. Vegas, of course, is bound to be warm, but when I went to the Grand Canyon the approach roads were closed to due heavy snow, and about 4ft fell in one night at flagstaff - very odd driving from the desert up to flagstaff and going from 90F to freezing in less than two hours.
  • As others have noted, be aware that virtually everywhere in the US except Florida and parts of the West Coast can be bitterly cold in Feb.

I was in Dallas last Feb and couldn't walk 100 yards without a coat before thinking I might die of cold.
  • edited January 2015

As others have noted, be aware that virtually everywhere in the US except Florida and parts of the West Coast can be bitterly cold in Feb.

Apart from the 50th State of course. (But even there it gets chilly up Haleakalā!)
  • What is the Vegas weather like, in February? Warm enough for kids to swim outside?

Are any of the hotels suitable for families? Circus Circus? Excalibur?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2015

What is the Vegas weather like, in February? Warm enough for kids to swim outside?

The pools may not be open in some hotels. You could be lucky and it is in the low 70s (21c) but whilst the sun is strong and has some 'oomph' to it, it gets nippy at night. So most likely not, but you never know.

I have been in January before and it was 19 and sunny or so. So t shirt weather and nice to have warm sun on my face but cant remember if the pools were open.

EDIT - Average for Las Vegas in February is 17c with clear sunshine 81pc of the time (according to wiki).
  • Vegas is in a valley but still at an elevation of 2000 feet. It's pretty much surrounded by mountains and there's a ski resort a few miles out of town. Most resorts will have a heated pool open in the winter but you might not want to ever get out of the water!
  • Do any of the hotels have indoor pools?
  • edited January 2015

What is the Vegas weather like, in February? Warm enough for kids to swim outside?

Sorry never noticed your families question. Contrary to belief, Vegas is great with kids. My boy is 6 (the 1 month old hasn't been yet....) and he has been to 'Vegas Baby' as he calls it twice. Treasure Island is good for kids and they will love the pirate show on the boat outside. Excalibur is a bit run down but they had a big amusement arcade thing which he loved. Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay (?) could be good depending on their age though I haven't been for years.
  • what about a working ranch holiday?
  • @cafcdave123‌ - yep, looking at those sir...too much choice though - don't know where to start.... It's looking as though it may be a road trip from San Diego to San Francisco and hoping it isn't too wet....
  • @cafcdave123‌ - yep, looking at those sir...too much choice though - don't know where to start.... It's looking as though it may be a road trip from San Diego to San Francisco and hoping it isn't too wet....

Thats a good choice I think.

In terms of the rain, you are not talking Thailand style monsoon rain every day of the month. You have to remember, that Dec, Jan and Feb are wet by Southern California standards (we get that on average every month all year in the UK). A look at San Diegos climate suggests it averages a couple of inches of rain a month in Feb. And on average, that would fall across 2 or 3 days in a month. I would expect you would still get lots of sunshine - maybe mixed with a day of rain. If the weather is the real driver, stay down south.

one of the women at my work has been to Arizona on ranch holidays twice in recent years.

I would ask her for the details of the place but she is currently in Australia.

• thanks @DamoNorthStand‌ much appreciated...quick check on LA weather right now and it's dry, sunny and in the 70s...
  • Would recommend the East coast of Florida (if you haven't been) Naples , St Petersburg, Tampa bay. Rented a beachside apartment some years ago at Bonita Beach - stunning.