Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Talking in your sleep

I need advice, fellow Lifers...

Now, I've never been accused of this before other than the occasional unintelligible mutterings that I'm sure everyone does.

But Mrs D just told me that I spoke very clearly to her in the middle of last night. She says I said "If you're going to fart then get out of the bed, you c**t".

Now, I have no recollection at all of this, and it is pretty out of character as I am not given to extreme swearing often, and use of the c word is less than once in a blue moon, and then never in front of her. Apparently, she had actually just let rip, which adds credence to her story, but she gave me the benefit of the doubt otherwise I would have been a corpse this morning.

Question is, does this sound plausible? Would someone act so out of character in their sleep? Was I dreaming I was in bed with Roland (ugh) or Katrien (mmmm, even if she does lie)? Any experts out there able to put my mind at rest?

Comments

• You genuinely, positively don't have to worry about a one-off outburst. If it happens again, and again, then maybe there's something up somewhere, but even then most probably not serious. Anybody can get caught up between dream and sleep and say something stupid. My GF says something every single night that she's forgotten by morning. I thoroughly enjoy mocking her for it.
  • I'd let it pass
  • After all the gnashing of teeth during the last few days, at last a proper Charlton Life thread.

• Frankly if she is that disgusting in bed, row her out.
    I'm an expert by the way.
  • I usuualy find a little flick of the duvet after a fart hits the spot
  • I talk in my sleep and sleep walk all the time I wouldn't worry as others have said my gf takes great pleasure in reminding what I've done the next day except once chased an apparent mouse around the bedroom to which point she screamed and refused to sleep in there until I'd caught it, which was never gonna happen
  • smiffyboy said:

I talk in my sleep and sleep walk all the time I wouldn't worry as others have said my gf takes great pleasure in reminding what I've done the next day except once chased an apparent mouse around the bedroom to which point she screamed and refused to sleep in there until I'd caught it, which was never gonna happen

I had a "dead fox under pillow" once but am putting it down to external influences
  • I apparently said my ex's name in my sleep the other week.

The missus said I sounded angry when I said it though so she let me off!
  • Dizzle said:

I apparently said my ex's name in my sleep the other week.

You have a very understanding missus, Dizzle. Fine line between anger and passion - you could have had your nuts clamped for that :smile:
  • You might need to give the sheets a wash.
  • Sponsored links:

• My good wife talks in her sleep all the time, clear as a bell. Woken me up loads of time with her nocturnal chatting and some of it is comedy gold. She's not much of a swearer but had me giggling one night with this potty mouthed rant - 'get off my f***ing garden you c***s or else I'm getting my gun and you're f***ing dead!'

I knew watching Broadchurch late at night was no good for you.....

• Davo55 said:

Dizzle said:

You have a very understanding missus, Dizzle. Fine line between anger and passion - you could have had your nuts clamped for that :smile:
    She has probably stored it up and will throw it in my face a couple of years down the line. I thought I was in the dog house when she told me. Luckily she knows my ex and knows that she isn't a nice person otherwise I would have probably been attacked in my sleep
  • Dizzle said:

Even though his name was John?
  • edited January 2015
    I don't talk in my sleep but a while ago, a couple of days after a pretty heavy stag do in Amsterdam, I got up in the middle of the night and pissed in the sink. My wife could see me and shouted at me to stop but I turned round and said "don't worry, I won't spill any on the floor"
  • Got a friend who became infamous for doing that. In the sink was funny, but latterly it was a chez longue, and that cost him a friend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Davo55 said:

I need advice, fellow Lifers...

Now, I've never been accused of this before other than the occasional unintelligible mutterings that I'm sure everyone does.

But Mrs D just told me that I spoke very clearly to her in the middle of last night. She says I said "If you're going to fart then get out of the bed, you c**t".

Now, I have no recollection at all of this, and it is pretty out of character as I am not given to extreme swearing often, and use of the c word is less than once in a blue moon, and then never in front of her. Apparently, she had actually just let rip, which adds credence to her story, but she gave me the benefit of the doubt otherwise I would have been a corpse this morning.

Question is, does this sound plausible? Would someone act so out of character in their sleep? Was I dreaming I was in bed with Roland (ugh) or Katrien (mmmm, even if she does lie)? Any experts out there able to put my mind at rest?

I admire your honesty towards Mrs D.
  • Thanks for the comments all. Having discussed it again with Mrs D, she confirms this is my only major misdemeanour.

Interestingly though, she says I am inclined to occasionally sleep-talk to her in an uncharacteristically formal manner (but without the expletives). Imagine, if you can, a character from Brief Encounter talking as if to a stranger on the train, saying "Would you mind very much moving back to your side of the bed please? I'm a little too warm". Odd. :smile:
  • Don't feel as though I can help much here. I am one of these people who sleeps like a log all night and then wakes up cheerful. Pain in the arse, you might say. Fortunately, my wife is also a morning person.
  • Not exactly taking in your sleep, but.....

A friend of mine once woke at about 4am and said , "Bloody hell, Look at the time, I must get home."

He was in bed with his wife (now ex-wife) at the time and she wasn't best pleased!
  • I quite regularly wake up in the middle of the night attempting to stop our 2-year old son from falling out of our bed, despite him being safely tucked up in his own bed in his room. My wife originally was a bit worried and thought something was wrong but now she just shoves me in the back and tells me to go back to sleep.