Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The hardest days work you ever done

What's the hardest days collar you've ever done, in terms of hrs or physical endurance, I know we have people on here who work for themselves

So we have a major conference , we worked our normal days work sorting the nba at the 02 and their party at the millbank tower, finished at 4pm and then went home

Had a couple of hrs with the family, and then a couple hrs kip, we left at 11pm got to Birmingham for 130 and 4 of us loaded 2 artics 3, 7.5 ton lorries two lutons and headed to the conference venue

We have just finished, over 40 ton of equipment, stock and advertising equipment, we have to be back at 6 where we will work till 3 am as there is an after party, my guys are on 15 hr shifts but as the boss is feel the need to over see and ensure it happens properly, and I can't not muck in, my feet have blisters on blisters I ache like I have run from London to bham

What's the most you've ever put in and what drives you to do it

Comments

• Hit a pressurised sewage pipe in 03. Not only was that disgusting and liquid disgusting human shite spraying a healthy 30 feet in the air. Felt like I'd been on a chain gang by the time we had finished. 19 hours after we started the job.

If I shut my eyes and think I can still smell that fateful summers day in Gravesend
  • in AFKAs garden a few years back, clearing it out before he had it all done nice. I was a machine! Still not been invited round for a BBQ ;)
  • JohnBoyUK said:

in AFKAs garden a few years back, clearing it out before he had it all done nice. I was a machine! Still not been invited round for a BBQ ;)

That's because after an England game I drunkenly put a disposable BBQ on a plastic garden table and was left with a garden table with a rectangle whole in the middle as the BBQ eventually fell through !

• Back in the day used to do 12 hour night shifts 7 days a week bagging seed (barley/wheat). Used to put 45 tonne over our back on a shift (between 2 of us) so well over 150 tonnes over one shoulder in a week. Fortunately on my tugging side.

During the day, cuffed my own weight in ale and back to work.

Nearest these days was a 4 hour conference call with some lawyers til 11pm.

Know which I preferred doing.
  • What's the hardest days collar you've ever done, in terms of hrs or physical endurance, I know we have people on here who work for themselves

So we have a major conference , we worked our normal days work sorting the nba at the 02 and their party at the millbank tower, finished at 4pm and then went home

Had a couple of hrs with the family, and then a couple hrs kip, we left at 11pm got to Birmingham for 130 and 4 of us loaded 2 artics 3, 7.5 ton lorries two lutons and headed to the conference venue

We have just finished, over 40 ton of equipment, stock and advertising equipment, we have to be back at 6 where we will work till 3 am as there is an after party, my guys are on 15 hr shifts but as the boss is feel the need to over see and ensure it happens properly, and I can't not muck in, my feet have blisters on blisters I ache like I have run from London to bham

What's the most you've ever put in and what drives you to do it

BUT..........

Kaa Ching mate

• Physical - first days work at 17, digging 2ft deep by 1ft across for NTL cables to lay, 11 hrs shift, 30 mins break, pissing down, blisters everywhere, don't sound much but made me appreciate working at a desk (and now from home)
    Mentally - Done a 37hrs out of a 48hr weekend on my laptop due to numerous cable breaks, was literally doing the job still when I slept on the Monday
  • Last Friday night......
  • I did 90 minutes at the den a couple of years back, numb for a good couple of days after that shift
  • Not me, but this:
    An old friend used to work on the London Ambulances. It wasn't unknown for people to pick up a colleagues shift and so do two 8 hour shifts back to back, then 8 hours off, then back to do your next shift.
    However, on one occasion, he did this, then 10 minutes before the end of the double shift there was a major RTA and so it was all hands on deck. The accident got cleared just as he was about to go back on shift, so he ended up doing a 32 hour stretch, 8 hours of which was intense stressful work involving death and major injury. He reckoned he never picked up a double shift again.
  • Sponsored links:

• I printed out twelve sheets of A4 today, had a biscuit then printed out three sheets of A3.

How can you afford the ink?
  • Sacked someone on their birthday, eat your heart out Roland.
  • Worked 9am-3am once when servers playing up might as well have not gone home.. But must say doing an MA (at a good Uni) at the moment is the hardest graft I've ever done. (I worked labouring and gardening when much younger ) Plus 5 hours daily travelling, luckily only 2 days a week now, was 4. Shoulda gone to KCL but the course was more than double the price. Plus as much study as possible, simply not enough hours in the day. Spent a good deal of Sunday putting final touches to a 5000 word essay. Anyone who thinks a full time MA is a doss think again.
  • In the past would often do 20+ hours a day to get jobs finish.

Done an MSc with the Open University whilst working 6-6 Mon - Fri. Not sure how I did it over 4 1/2 years.
  • That's the hardest weeks work I have ever done
  • Mine was only yesterday. It involved reaching for the TV remote, ordering a pizza and opening several cans of Stella.
  • That's the hardest weeks work I have ever done

18 hours at night and 26 hours in a day? Was this on the north pole?

• edited January 2015
    I used to work two jobs for about 8 years being the only earner having had two kids by 24 to survive and support my family and then to save for a deposit for my house and then a wedding, I worked as a spark on building sites in day 8am - 5pm home for about 6 see kids dinner etc, then in bed by 9:30pm up again at 11:15pm to go back to work on the underground for midnight - 04:30 then back home jump in bed for an hour then back up and start the process again I did 5 days and 6 nights a week.

Surving on 3-4 hours sleep a day I don't need to anymore but it has ruined me sleep pattern, I still now on average only sleep that amount of time and manage to function fine if on the odd occasion I sleep longer I wake up with a hang over feeling.
  • Carter said:

Hit a pressurised sewage pipe in 03. Not only was that disgusting and liquid disgusting human shite spraying a healthy 30 feet in the air. Felt like I'd been on a chain gang by the time we had finished. 19 hours after we started the job.

If I shut my eyes and think I can still smell that fateful summers day at smellhurst park

• Sponsored links:

• Use to do the odd ghoster in me sparky days, start at 8am and go all the way through to 4/5pm to following day. But 3 of us once replaced the entire data network in small business center in Alton, started on the Friday night and went all the way through to Monday morning, stopping for an hour here and there. Spent about 500 quid in Dallas Fried Chicken!
  • Depends on time of year July,Aug & Sep, 80 hour weeks are the norm.
  • Being a single parent for a year, whilst having a full time job, was the hardest work I have ever done and ever will do.
  • I had to stay behind for an hour because the alarms wouldnt set once. Came in an hour late next day though.
  • But seriously overnight fitups at English National Opera functioning on speed and beer I remember being quite draining.
  • The run up to the Olympics was pretty tiring. Had a good few 19+ hour days and nights.

It's weird when you get so tired the last thing you can do is sleep.

• Thinking back and coming from a family of builders, I spent a lot of time from the age of 15 working for them on building sites. Not being the most practically gifted person, ie; I can't bang a nail in straight to save my life, I was given the "knock that down" and "dig that hole" stuff, to the amusement of my brothers. I was a big strong lump and could dig for England and would comfortably fill many skips full of all sorts of crap per day. On the too few occasions we now get together they love to remind me of the shovels, forks and pick axe handles I had snapped and the fact they would have to tell me to stop digging, a la Forest Gump. That was the hardest physically I have ever worked but also the fittest I have ever been.
  • Physically, working on a building site in Dawlish, unloading bricks, pipes and such like from lorries and stacking them.
    Otherwise quite a number of days from 7am to 12pm, with a 40 minute journey tacked on to either end.
    In terms of intensity the hardest is easily 100 minutes at a stretch with 30 14 year olds, followed by another 100 minutes and so on.
  • Not one of you has done anything as tiring, as being a professional football player.