Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Football Commentators & Pundits - sometimes better just to say nothing?

Torres leaves the field halfway through the 2nd half tonight having scored twice for Atletico away at Real Madrid in the Copa Del Rey, away goals counting double.
The English commentator comments as Torres high fives his replacement, 'Torres has been quiet all night and all he's really done is score the 2 Atletico goals'.
I bet his two previous Managers would have given their right arm to have heard those immortal words.

Jermaine Jenas as a pundit on the Ipswich Town vs Southampton game last night.
When asked before the game how he felt about Southampton's chances, he replied, 'It's a cold night out there tonight with a biting wind. Not sure how the Southampton players will cope with that'.
Alan Shearer looked at Jenas and the look said it all.
Will give Mr Jenas the benefit of the doubt as he's a rookie in punditry terms.

Comments

• edited January 2015
    It would pure heaven to have all commentators to say nothing...Radio included.
  • I don't know why we have the co-commentator because all he tells you is what you can see for yourself.

Also can the main commentator just commentate on the game like who has the ball etc rather than telling us 'fascinating' facts about each player.
  • Really starting to like Gary Neville as co-comm.
    Really starting to get the hang of it
  • Shame about his brother ^^
  • The best co-commentator I heard for a while was Clarke Carlisle, enthusiastic, intelligent and told you things you actually want to hear whilst giving a modern day opinion on football.

Really hoping he gets back into it.
  • It would pure heaven to have all commentators to say nothing...Radio included.

There is a fairly easy way to deal with that mate

• Why don't they have two feeds, one with commentary and one without but keeping the crowd noise, then we can choose via the red button.
  • Micheal Owen was doing the west ham v everton game the other day and Lukaku had the ball to which Owen come out with the classic "hes....... a........ er.................... football player". Great insight micheal, thanks for clearing that up!