Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Clive Mendonca Special for Rotherham programme

VALLEY REVIEW: A bumper interview with Clive Mendonca will be the main feature for the visit of @OfficialRUFC. #cafc pic.twitter.com/KocIQ8R0Ry

— Charlton Athletic FC (@CAFCofficial) January 16, 2015

If only the press boys knew where his shirt, hat trick ball, boots and medals were : - )

Comments

• Options
    Hero.
  • Options
    Would be great to have Sir Clive return in person to The Valley one day
  • Options
    Is it true he was offered a coaching role by Curbs but turned it down?
  • Options

All will be revealed in Valley Review for the visit of Rotherham!

I used all my powers of persuasion to get him down to The Valley, but he respectively declined.
  • Options

I used all my powers of persuasion to get him down to The Valley, but he respectively declined.
    Look forward to it! My absolute hero as a young lad and my all-time favourite Charlton player. He'll take some beating. Seems to have completely shied away from football. Bit of a waste really.
  • Options
    Would get a fantastic welcome.An absolute hero.
    Please keep trying to have him attend a game.A standing ovation guaranteed.
  • Options
    I don't want to read about supaclive...
  • Options
    Legend

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    All time favourite Charlton player. Absolute hero.
  • Options

Never mind seats at a fiver - any match with Super Clive on the pitch = full house. The most naturally-gifted Charlton footballer since Stuart Leary. What he had couldn't be coached - just born to do it.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I remember Clive returning to the Valley for a match around ten years ago. He came onto the pitch at half time to just a ripple of applause. We were rightly berated with, "Come on, it's Clive Mendonca!" and then the noise level was raised a tad. Embarrassing and a poor show by us. Perhaps that's why he has declined invitations to come down again.
  • Options

I remember Clive returning to the Valley for a match around ten years ago. He came onto the pitch at half time to just a ripple of applause. We were rightly berated with, "Come on, it's Clive Mendonca!" and then the noise level was raised a tad. Embarrassing and a poor show by us. Perhaps that's why he has declined invitations to come down again.

If I'm thinking of the same match it was May 1st, 2005 - the Centenary Day. There were a great many old-timers on the pitch that day, so maybe Clive was a bit overshadowed. A stadium to himself might be a different story.

• Options
    The event with Steve Jones and super Clive was a quality night. For all the knocks Steve Jones gets, that was worth every penny to meet, have a few beers and talk football.

Clive is such a down to Earth bloke, he genuinely doesn't realise how much he means to us.
  • Options

Couldn't get a permit ?

I would absolutely love to see Clive back on the pitch at the Valley, it's a shame that he doesn't want to return but I guess you have to respect his wishes.
  • Options
    Without doubt gave me and my family, the best moment at Charlton in over 50 hears of supporting this club.
    The whole team brought a great amount of joy to supporters starved of a footballing event.
    I am so glad that we have his medal and football kit of that day in the museum.
    I am sure Clive was sad to part for these special items.......
    Anytime Clive, I am sure my fellow trustees would be delighted to arrange this.
  • Options
    Absolute joy to watch. The amount of pressure he was put under before the final was incredible.
    The way he hauled that wonderful team into the shootout still has me shaking my head.
  • Options
    Will Katrien be writing the article?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Always had a soft spot for Sunderland since the Game, their team and fans contributed so much to my greatest day supporting Charlton. There was magic in the air on that day.
  • Options
    Look forward to reading that programme.
  • Options

If only the press boys knew where his shirt, hat trick ball, boots and medals were : - )

Don't tell them - they'll only go the same way as Scarfy!
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Don't tell them - they'll only go the same way as Scarfy!
    So true
  • Options

If I'm thinking of the same match it was May 1st, 2005 - the Centenary Day. There were a great many old-timers on the pitch that day, so maybe Clive was a bit overshadowed. A stadium to himself might be a different story.

It wasn't any of the times when players from the past have joined in a general celebration. It was just Clive on his own. I can't remember when it was or which team we were playing and can't find any information on it via google (as I expected but you never know). I don't think that I dreamt it! Surely someone else remembers it...?
  • Options
    Having trawled the internet, and found no other reference to Clive Mendonca visiting the Valley, I think that you must be right, GlassHalfFull, and my memory is at fault (not for the first time on CL). There aren't many reports of the match in question on 1 May 2005 still available (it was against Manchester Utd - we lost 0-4) but the All Quiet in The East Stand blog reported: "In one of these touchingly naive things Charlton do so well, we were treated to the sight of Richard Rufus, Clive Mendonca, Chris Powell and Steve Brown picking up awards at half-time. Men who had battled their way up the leagues with us. These men were giants - the XI who came out for the second half were pygmies in comparison. Hopeless defence, timid attack, over-worked midfield." Ah, plus ca change..! Anyhow, the reception that Clive received (and the others too presumably, even if I don't remember them being there) was certainly more muted than they deserved.
  • Options

At the risk of sending this thread off at a tangent (!), your researches deserve further comment, if I may. That day was my Charlton golden jubilee (30 Apr 55 CAFC 0-4 PNE) and a group of us enjoyed a top hospitality event in the West Stand. The match was also the club's celebration of its centenary (9 June 1905) and a whole host of former players were presented on the pitch. Sadly a woeful performance by the incumbent team put a bit of a damper on things, but during the course of the day we met Eddie Firmani, Theo Foley and Clive. My sons will groan to hear the story for the thousandth time (and that's just on here) but I told Clive that when I'd met Geoff Hurst in 2000 I congratulated him on the second-best Wembley hat-trick I had ever witnessed, having been at the Final in '66. We had a brief chat, with the attendant Peter Varney constantly looking at his watch. An unforgettable day. My Diamond jubilee on 2 May 15 vs Bournemouth I suspect will not be quite the same ....
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I'm sure Geoff Hurst wouldn't have minded his 1966 hat trick being described as the second best scored at Wembley. He probably knows in his heart of hearts that the ball didn't cross the line for his second "goal". Anyone still not convinced of that, see here: http://youtu.be/iKKuk25rXJk
  • Options
    Just read it. Excellent read.

Well done Olly.