Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gravesend - Pubs & Ferry

Comments

• Options
    Ferry was closed a few weeks before Christmas but should be ok now. £3 single or £3 return. Go to Valley that way 2 or 3 times a season for a bit of variety. Distinctly more to do on the Kent side, though the Worlds End in Tilbury side is ok.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Thanks very much to everyone for the information especially @RedPanda @GravesendAddick @RalpheMilne @CAFCspooney @Kent_red and @I_was_Floyd . Charlton Life always comes up trumps on things like this. Thank you all.

@Viewfinder I remember you helping me out on one of these before, I love your pub descriptions. Thanks very much!

@Daggs The Compass sounds good. We’re a bunch of old men, so a “rocking Friday night” probably isn’t our thing anyway.

@Hastingsaddicksay hello to Charlie”, what does that mean - I’m not going to get into trouble with Heisenberg am I?

@brogrib how will I know which barmaid and are we likely to get chucked out?

@SX-Addick thanks very much for the Ferry info. I think it would make a nice change sometime.

And finally @GravesendAddick , don't worry it won't be the only place we go to for a pub crawl this year. Next up is Chelmsford and then hopefully Richmond, Rochford and possibly another tube line crawl. :-)
  • Options

If you're a bunch of old men, then I'd say The Windmill, Drayman, Crown & Thistle, Three Daws and poss the Rum Puncheon are more up your street as well as The Compass. The Windmill is a little out of town but a nice pub, a brisk 10 min walk from there would put you in Compass Territory and a loop round to the Drayman, then The Crown both within 5 mins of each other and the Daws and Rum Puncheon are very close to each other.

• Options

My brother used to live opposite the Windmill and have spent many a happy night in there and the Millers, both on Windmill Hill. Haven't been for years but both used to be proper boozers.

Great town with centuries of maritime heritage and still home to the Port of London Authority. Shame it was destroyed by local government planners and out of town shopping malls.

Still now we have the joy of the vibrant communities of Bluewater and Lakeside.
  • Options

The Windmill is still very much a proper pub and has a fantastic garden too. Can't speak for the Millers as whilst it's virtually next door to the Windmill it's always had a rep as a youngsters pub, so not my cuppa tbh - my kids used to like it though, when they were 'young' if you get my drift.

And you're right, whilst I'm not a native of the town I've lived her for 30 years and it has had the guts ripped out of it over the years and I don't think it'll get better anytime soon tbh. Could say much the same about Dartford too.

• Options

The Windmill is still very much a proper pub and has a fantastic garden too. Can't speak for the Millers as whilst it's virtually next door to the Windmill it's always had a rep as a youngsters pub, so not my cuppa tbh - my kids used to like it though, when they were 'young' if you get my drift.

And you're right, whilst I'm not a native of the town I've lived her for 30 years and it has had the guts ripped out of it over the years and I don't think it'll get better anytime soon tbh. Could say much the same about Dartford too.

Shame they didn't put the new Ebbsfleet station slap bang in the middle of Gravesend, That would have re-generated things a bit.

Is the Prince of Denmark still going? That use to be the place.

• Options

There was a Rose of Denmark, not Prince as far as I'm aware and that shut up shop donkeys years ago (way before my time here). Unless you're thinking of something that was in the same premises. The Rose was in Queen Street.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Thanks very much to everyone for the information especially @RedPanda @GravesendAddick @RalpheMilne @CAFCspooney @Kent_red and @I_was_Floyd . Charlton Life always comes up trumps on things like this. Thank you all.

@Viewfinder I remember you helping me out on one of these before, I love your pub descriptions. Thanks very much!

@Daggs The Compass sounds good. We’re a bunch of old men, so a “rocking Friday night” probably isn’t our thing anyway.

@Hastingsaddicksay hello to Charlie”, what does that mean - I’m not going to get into trouble with Heisenberg am I?

@SX-Addick thanks very much for the Ferry info. I think it would make a nice change sometime.

And finally @GravesendAddick , don't worry it won't be the only place we go to for a pub crawl this year. Next up is Chelmsford and then hopefully Richmond, Rochford and possibly another tube line crawl. :-)

He is the landlord in the Jolly Drayman.
  • Options

Daggs said:

Daggs said:

" I know Charlie well, one of the Sentinals "
    Indeed he is.
    Are you?
    No, but I know them and ride with them occasionally

I was a member of the Sentinals back in the 80's. I believe Alison is still heavily involved in them..............

As in Khron?...she is mates with my mates wife.
  • Options
    Daggs said:

They're pretty hardcore scooterists. I believe they're are riding to Cumbria this summer !!
    But they are ten years younger than me (my best excuse) :)

They also do the Euro-Lambretta runs, were in France (Avignon) a couple of years ago and went to Davos in Austria lasy year, hoping to catch up with them in April at the Saxons Scooter Skirmish down here in Hastings.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If possible, I'll come to that too.
  • Options
    Daggs said:

If possible, I'll come to that too.

It would be good to meet you.
  • Options
    Nice scooter @Daggs
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Thanks. It's for sale actually :);) I restore them as a hobby.
  • Options
    Daggs said:

Thanks. It's for sale actually :);) I restore them as a hobby.

Sold my LI 150 Silver special to me brother a couple years back, worst thing I ever done mate.
  • Options
    Sorry....Davos, Switzerland NOT Austria.
  • Options

brogib said:

The Peacock in Peacock Street, my old haunt, tell the bar maid you know me and watch her face. Best pub in Gravesham Town

Had you down as a regular in Angels in Harmer street Rob........ ;)
    Just Google it, the former Call Boy? Use to be part of our Saturday afternoon mooch
  • Options
    brogib said:

brogib said:

The Peacock in Peacock Street, my old haunt, tell the bar maid you know me and watch her face. Best pub in Gravesham Town

Had you down as a regular in Angels in Harmer street Rob........ ;)
    Just Google it, the former Call Boy? Use to be part of our Saturday afternoon mooch
    That's it. Apparently, it's full of very nice young men...........
  • Options
    Had a trip up to Gravesend yesterday...visited the old Invicta Club and The Compass Bar (both well worth a visit if your in the area).
  • Options
    Love the Compass Bar. Highly recommended. Did you try the back room @Hastingsaddick ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    brogib said:

I dipped a bar maid out of there an all
  • Options
    Two interesting facts about Gravesend......repeatedly has the highest official Government temperature readings anywhere in the UK.
    Pocahontas is buried there.
  • Options

Two interesting facts about Gravesend......repeatedly has the highest official Government temperature readings anywhere in the UK.
    Pocahontas is buried there.

Apparently that temperature is taken in Swanscombe....but close enough.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Love the Compass Bar. Highly recommended. Did you try the back room @Hastingsaddick ?

Do you mean the backroom in the Compass Bar?...we sat in the front but did see the backroom.
  • Options

Stig said:

He is the landlord in the Jolly Drayman.
    Now...WAS the landlord.
  • Options

Stig said:

Do you mean the backroom in the Compass Bar?...we sat in the front but did see the backroom.
    Yes that's the one. It's great if there's a group of you.
  • Options

Yet to visit it, but there's a place called The Three Pillars opened up below the Freemasons Hall in Wrotham Road (roughly facing the side of the Woodville Halls, so close to town centre). Supposed to do real ale etc., I seem to remember it opening in the summer and nthen having to close down again for some reason. Anyway, it's back up and running.

Out of the centre The Battle of Britain was run down by the brewery and a shonky landlord so it could be redeveloped. This seems to be Brakspears way now. If it's not in a posh location, knock it down and build houses. They aren't alone, but this was demolished overnight once local residents got wind of the plans. Council reckoned they could do nothing about it, but seems some dodgy paperwork has been filled in regarding asbestos contamination etc. Nobody is accountable for that, isn't that strange? There's that thing about a community asset but this was applied for and the council reckoned they could do nothing. The council here are pretty toothless. Some have suggested that backhanders have taken place. I couldn't possibly comment as I always believed that councillors were fine, upstanding members of the community, so I imagine that accusation is, err, rubbish.......

Awful lot of pubs in Gravesend burnt down though and have been built on, bar one. No idea why that hasn't been. Make your minds up on that.
  • Options

Forgot to add that The Windmill is apparently up for sale. I believe the landlords wanted to keep it quiet for a while but news got out. Shame, it's definitely one of the nicer pubs in town and had a lot of things going on. Hope it doesn't turn into a dive.

• Options
    The Goose is not bad for a high street pub, and the fact that it’s in Gravesend
  • Options

Is The Slammer still open?

Every Friday and Saturday night after 23.00