Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton's heart and soul - objectively

On these boards the words 'heart of the club' and 'Charlton's soul' or variations on this theme have been bandied about frequently in recent times, generally amidst much wailing and fist-waving. At Watford there were as many anti-Duchatalet chants as pro-team chants (and more of either than anything the home crowd came up with in fairness.) But in all honesty, what is actually different this time? It was not so long ago that Murray (still held up today as a proper Charlton fan regardless of his eventual, debatable legacy) appointed three managers in a single season - Dowie, Reed and Pardew. That's as many as Roland has managed in Riga, Peeters and now Luzon if/when that paperwork is finally signed, and with the caveat of course that Riga was only ever intended to be a short term appointment - compare his six month contract and six month term with Les Reed's three year contract and only serving two months at most of truly diabolically bad football.

More recently, there was huge debate and controversy when many held the view that Powell should have been given money and backing not the sack as he had done a good job with poor players and no money - but he had got the job in the exact same circumstances, when it was Parkinson who had got a lacklustre team on a shoestring budget into the play-off places of the league, having to deal with the wreckage Pardew left behind. This is not to deride Powell's contribution of course in getting us promoted, merely illustrating my point that a struggling manager rather brutally dismissed is by no means exclusive to the Duchutalet model of ownership. As it turned out of course, he was in fact replaced by a young man with very little managerial experience but was by all accounts a nice bloke, and a playing legend. Fortunately Powell turned out to be a good manager but let's not pretend it was not a gamble when then, as now, there were more proven and experienced options readily available.

Of the team that started today, only two were 'network' signings (Buyens and Ben Haim), but three were promoted directly from the academy (Harriott, Cousins and Solly), so it's hard to claim that this was a mere Liege B team. Solly, Wiggins, Wilson, Cousins and Harriott all came up with the team that won the league, Ben Haim, Bikey, Church and Onyewu have all played in the Championship for other teams, this is not by any stretch nine or ten foreign players not knowing how the English game is played.

AND YET... despite this, there is still the feeling that somehow this is not the 'real' Charlton, the heart and/or soul is gone somehow. I share this feeling to some extent, less I think than many as I am a relative Newbie in life as well as name - my first game at the Valley was in 2004, I was fifteen and not really 'into football' so I can hardly claim to have the same history with the club as some on here. It just seems to me that the way the club is run is no more 'nasty' or unfair or even particularly different to how it has been run for a long time; the only real difference is that our newest owner is completely upfront in seeing it as purely and totally a business proposition and managing it accordingly.

I was going to end with a question or a moral but can think of neither, so I guess I am just saying thanks to those who slogged through that blather and feel free to add any observations or correct any errors. This is a very strange and dangerous time for the club I think ALL fans agree - standing together is essential but discussion and debate surely can't hurt!

Comments

• Options
    I have heard a thousand times pundits on SSN say that disruption at board level affects the players. RD has been in charge for over a year and as of yesterday has not improved anything on the playing field and having put up with 7 really poor seasons since we got relegated from the PL my desire to go to the Valley is slowly ebbing away.

If RD wants to make money out of this club he will need to appoint the right manager not an arse licker.

Provide better quality players who are worth going see each week.

Re engage with the supporters who I think have been amazing over the past 8 years and who are the ones who have kept this club alive.

Finally get us back into the PL.

Take a look at the PL now and the top of the Championship to see it is not impossible if we have a well run club as per Murray, Varney and Curbs.
  • Options

I speak for all Charlton fans when i say....

Bring back Parky

Happily.
  • Options

I speak for all Charlton fans when i say....

Bring back Parky

A man who acts with passion and dignity at all times
    And some tactical awareness and now experience
    Not something that can be read out of a Belgian handbook
    Gladly take him back

• Options

pettgra said:

I don't like the situation at the club at the moment I really don't. It gets you wondering how we lurch from crisis to crisis.
    In my opinion it is the day of 7th May 2006 when Curbs was sacked, not released and all that nonsense but sacked.
    I know he was dragging his feet over a contract;however, there was no need for a knee jerk reaction from RM.
    All that nonsense that if he left they would be Curbs signings not the new manager is rubbish. How many new managers come in working with the previous incumbents signings and it is just a seamless transition.
    Give it a year on and some other poor bastard would have been dumped with ID.
    Curbs was running that club and RM was his assistant, not the other way round. The club has not settled down since then and I cannot see it happening anytime soon.

To be fair, a lot of people moan about the revolving door at the manager's office but then are happy to start shouting 'Bob/Parky/Powell' out at the first sign of a crisis.
    You are right. We do not have a lot of patience;however, that is endemic in football at this moment isn't it.
  • Options
    pettgra said:

pettgra said:

I don't like the situation at the club at the moment I really don't. It gets you wondering how we lurch from crisis to crisis.
    In my opinion it is the day of 7th May 2006 when Curbs was sacked, not released and all that nonsense but sacked.
    I know he was dragging his feet over a contract;however, there was no need for a knee jerk reaction from RM.
    All that nonsense that if he left they would be Curbs signings not the new manager is rubbish. How many new managers come in working with the previous incumbents signings and it is just a seamless transition.
    Give it a year on and some other poor bastard would have been dumped with ID.
    Curbs was running that club and RM was his assistant, not the other way round. The club has not settled down since then and I cannot see it happening anytime soon.

To be fair, a lot of people moan about the revolving door at the manager's office but then are happy to start shouting 'Bob/Parky/Powell' out at the first sign of a crisis.
    You are right. We do not have a lot of patience;however, that is endemic in football at this moment isn't it.
    And, sadly, modern life in general, pettgra.

• Options
    thenewbie said:

On these boards the words 'heart of the club' and 'Charlton's soul' or variations on this theme have been bandied about frequently in recent times, generally amidst much wailing and fist-waving. At Watford there were as many anti-Duchatalet chants as pro-team chants (and more of either than anything the home crowd came up with in fairness.) But in all honesty, what is actually different this time? It was not so long ago that Murray (still held up today as a proper Charlton fan regardless of his eventual, debatable legacy) appointed three managers in a single season - Dowie, Reed and Pardew. That's as many as Roland has managed in Riga, Peeters and now Luzon if/when that paperwork is finally signed, and with the caveat of course that Riga was only ever intended to be a short term appointment - compare his six month contract and six month term with Les Reed's three year contract and only serving two months at most of truly diabolically bad football.

More recently, there was huge debate and controversy when many held the view that Powell should have been given money and backing not the sack as he had done a good job with poor players and no money - but he had got the job in the exact same circumstances, when it was Parkinson who had got a lacklustre team on a shoestring budget into the play-off places of the league, having to deal with the wreckage Pardew left behind. This is not to deride Powell's contribution of course in getting us promoted, merely illustrating my point that a struggling manager rather brutally dismissed is by no means exclusive to the Duchutalet model of ownership. As it turned out of course, he was in fact replaced by a young man with very little managerial experience but was by all accounts a nice bloke, and a playing legend. Fortunately Powell turned out to be a good manager but let's not pretend it was not a gamble when then, as now, there were more proven and experienced options readily available.

Of the team that started today, only two were 'network' signings (Buyens and Ben Haim), but three were promoted directly from the academy (Harriott, Cousins and Solly), so it's hard to claim that this was a mere Liege B team. Solly, Wiggins, Wilson, Cousins and Harriott all came up with the team that won the league, Ben Haim, Bikey, Church and Onyewu have all played in the Championship for other teams, this is not by any stretch nine or ten foreign players not knowing how the English game is played.

AND YET... despite this, there is still the feeling that somehow this is not the 'real' Charlton, the heart and/or soul is gone somehow. I share this feeling to some extent, less I think than many as I am a relative Newbie in life as well as name - my first game at the Valley was in 2004, I was fifteen and not really 'into football' so I can hardly claim to have the same history with the club as some on here. It just seems to me that the way the club is run is no more 'nasty' or unfair or even particularly different to how it has been run for a long time; the only real difference is that our newest owner is completely upfront in seeing it as purely and totally a business proposition and managing it accordingly.

I was going to end with a question or a moral but can think of neither, so I guess I am just saying thanks to those who slogged through that blather and feel free to add any observations or correct any errors. This is a very strange and dangerous time for the club I think ALL fans agree - standing together is essential but discussion and debate surely can't hurt!

Don't let logic get in the way of a good moan.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good post Rich. I would just add that one thing not on RD' s agenda is a move from the Valley, which makes him the exception among the assorted characters who have looked at Charlton both last time round and in 2010.

Our best bet at this time remains, to try and reason with him, and show him that greater engagement with fans isn't just talk, it actually worked for the financial benefit of the club in the period 1992-2004, roughly.
  • Options

Good post Rich. I would just add that one thing not on RD' s agenda is a move from the Valley, which makes him the exception among the assorted characters who have looked at Charlton both last time round and in 2010.

Our best bet at this time remains, to try and reason with him, and show him that greater engagement with fans isn't just talk, it actually worked for the financial benefit of the club in the period 1992-2004, roughly.

Agreed, whilst I do not approve or condone of the approach RD has taken in general, his principle of trying to run a club (or clubs) in a financially viable and responsible way instead of wracking up massive losses annually is highly commendable - unfortunately he seemingly only has one plan to do this, and so far, it's not working. As I said before, he hasn't done anything we haven't seen previous regimes do, but there is the massive divide between the fans and the owners that is pretty unique in this club's recent history - even though the Slater crew grew steadily more unpopular, we at least had Charlton legend Chrissy Powell in the dug out to cheer on and get a personal attachment/investment in. If the new board could actually connect with fans in a meaningful way (not a heated debate on a train) then I daresay I would not be the only fan willing to cut them just a little more slack if I only knew WHY they were doing what they were doing, or how they reached the conclusion that Luzon was a better bet than the other applicants. Just saying 'my money, my rules' is not going to help either party.
  • Options
    Absurbistan
    Don't let logic get in the way of a good moan.

thenewbie, you have shown us intelligence and the ability to communicate. Absurbistan you have shown us..............
  • Options
    Perfect summary Cabbles. (Except we don't have a break until Rotherham. We're away to Wolves on Saturday).
  • Options
    FFS - thought they were still in the cup. See what this last week has done to us all
  • Options
    Yet ANOTHER great post, this time from cabbles.

One positive that this season has highlighted so far is the blossoming of so many Lifers !

Excitement/apathy/anger/joy/incredulity/highs/lows/villains/heroes......SO like a novel that Agatha Christie would have been proud of. And Lifers have taken time & much thought to try to make some sense of all these components, with a huge degree of success. Well done to all concerned !

What remains to be seen is whether this one ends with the famous Belgian triumphant once again, assisted by his little grey cells (and his trusty sidekick ) & solving the problem or whether, for once, he fails in his task. Sacre bleu !

A page turner indeed....and one that's bound to keep its readers guessing to the very end.

• Options
    edited January 2015

If only ...

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters.
    Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques." (Bill Shankly)

That was us until the wind of change yet again blew through SE7 a year ago and those on here demanding the manager be sacked got their wish. Never has the saying 'Be careful what you wish for' been more appropriate than what we experienced last week culminating in a humiliating drubbing at Watford
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Yet ANOTHER great post, this time from cabbles.

One positive that this season has highlighted so far is the blossoming of so many Lifers !

Excitement/apathy/anger/joy/incredulity/highs/lows/villains/heroes......SO like a novel that Agatha Christie would have been proud of. And Lifers have taken time & much thought to try to make some sense of all these components, with a huge degree of success. Well done to all concerned !

What remains to be seen is whether this one ends with the famous Belgian triumphant once again, assisted by his little grey cells (and his trusty sidekick ) & solving the problem or whether, for once, he fails in his task. Sacre bleu !

A page turner indeed....and one that's bound to keep its readers guessing to the very end.

Poirot had the sense to "employ" an English sidekick who knew the ropes... :wink:
  • Options
    What is the 'heart' and the 'soul' of a club? Very hard to define. But it surely is significant that so many of our fans are feeling that both are missing at the moment.