Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

We want our Charlton back?

From where? Brink of administration? What does it mean? Does it mean we want a British manager? Bit confused.

Comments

• Options
    Je suis Charlton
  • Options
    Je Suis Roland
  • Options
    No I am Roland.
  • Options
    Agreed,

Do we want League 1 Charlton again? English Manager

Do we want homeless Charlton again? Money Troubles

Do we want Premiership Charlton again? Boring Football (apparently)
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

A club that engages with it's supporters, that understands and cherishes it's history, that operates in an honourable way without deceit.

Been along time since them days, in fact there are not too many clubs around like that any more, probably have to drop down too league one to find one!
  • Options
    I go by what I see on the pitch, this season I like what I see less and less. For instance I dread it when we are facing any sort of set-piece near our goal, something which wasn't the case with Morro and Dervite as CB's. I could go on, but we've all seen it, and the team's decline is the result of decisions taken at the top
  • Options
    I think we'd like a club that:

Considers managerial applicants from anywhere and everywhere.

Is in the market for new players from anywhere and everywhere and not mainly a small network of clubs.
  • Options

I go by what I see on the pitch, this season I like what I see less and less. For instance I dread it when we are facing any sort of set-piece near our goal, something which wasn't the case with Morro and Dervite as CB's. I could go on, but we've all seen it, and the team's decline is the result of decisions taken at the top

That's management then. If players are marking to a zone then they are told to. Dervitte was not as strong in the air as Bikey or Ben Haim imo.

We have used 3 goalkeepers this season, there is no consistency to build a foundation of being solid, any defensive player will tell you that you need consistency and understanding for stability.

As far as "our Charlton" on the pitch then surely we have it in Solly, Pope, Fox, Gomez, Harriott, Cousins etc.
  • Options

Davo55 said:

A club that engages with it's supporters, that understands and cherishes it's history, that operates in an honourable way without deceit.

Been along time since them days, in fact there are not too many clubs around like that any more, probably have to drop down too league one to find one!
    That does not mean we cannot aspire to that though, SH...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Davo55 said:

Not so long ago, IMO, at least in part. Despite some of the bad decisions made by Murray during his tenure, I would say he operated in this way. Curbs did. SCP did. It really fell apart with the Chuckle Brothers and is continuing under evil Lord Rolyvort.
  • Options
    I'm Spartacus...
  • Options

I remember everyone singing 'we've got our Charlton back' during Powell's speech at the end of the L1 season closer against Hartlepool. This was after TJ and Slater had walked on to rapturous applause ahead of kick off. I don't think we even know what 'our' Charlton is anymore but I suspect it doesn't exist.

My Charlton involves standing rammed in the Covered End slagging off the Old Bill and any opposition player remotely not English, at some of those fantastic night games of old. Walking up Charlton Church Lane and home to Eltham without the need of paramedics and oxygen. Waking up for my paper round at 5.00 the next morning with no ill effects of my exertions the night before. Oh and either Hales, Flanagan, Peacock or Powell scored.

Everyone has some idea of what THEIR Charlton is. Taking into account mine, I firmly believe I haven't had MY Charlton since about 1979.
  • Options
    mrbligh said:

Je Suis Roland

et ainsi est ma femme
  • Options
    mrbligh Member
    Je Suis Roland

You had better make sure that your ship doesn't sink Captain.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Davo55 said:

Since our first game as a professional team,div 3 south on 27 aug 1921 at the valley att 13,000
    it's been a real battle to have our Charlton back.

In 1923 the owners decided to move to Catford,
    The VOTV was Born, Airman Brown who was just a cadet at this time, got his Caxton press out and started printing.
    Cafc fans stood on street corners chanting " we want our Charlton back"
    Charlton supporters handcuffed to railings, kept singing "we will never go to Catford" and " we're going to the dogs"
    A Plod on horseback was heard to say, you can't do both, but the joke was on him as he fell off and the fans in unison broke into "Goodbye Orse"

Young Fanny Pankhurst had two placards, We should always play in Charlton
    and votes for all women over 21, even as a young single woman, she could always multi task.
    I wonder what happened to that young Belle ?

Henry Irving after a successful first night at the Garrick, said if we ever get back to the Valley we should start
    a museum, yes in a couple of years came the response.

The Protests won the day and CAFC returned to its spiritual home, the Valley in 1924.

The fans were Jubilant, they all went to the Liberal club where many pints of stout were consumed.
    Not sure what the men drank.

Everyone was in agreement, No owner or Chairmen will every take us away from the valley again or
    lose the hearts and mind of the fans so we feel the club is alien to us.

At that moment a mouthy little kid stood on a soapbox and shouted "don't you be so sure"

1924.........................to be continued.

• Options
    "We Want our Charlton Back, Michael Morrison at Centre back"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We just want the well respected family club back that looks after the fans don't we? Its not even too much to ask. Even our award winning community trust seems like a separate entity now and barely gets a mention.
  • Options

We just want the well respected family club back that looks after the fans don't we? Its not even too much to ask. Even our award winning community trust seems like a separate entity now and barely gets a mention.

The trust stands alone in that fact with our club and has for years

We haven't had a club like that for ages before the two stooges before Rd

For the troubles of today you don't have to look too far back to see where it all stemmed from
  • Options
    I used to like the Selhurst days - I lived in East Dulwich, worked on the turnstiles for Charlton and Palace and the stadium was quite modern. There was a good members club at the legendary Sainsburys end and I saw Rocket Ronnie Rosenthal score a hatrick.

I want my Charlton back.
  • Options

I'm a little confused by the love for those two. They did, after all, leak 61 goals last year.