Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Valley 1979

edited April 2007 in General Charlton
Bit of nostalgia for you lot, found a nice little website with footage of grounds as they were in 1979.

http://footballgroundguide.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=13962&st=0

Here's the valley:

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-5621451409608521680

Comments

• Options
    quality, how massive is that east terrace!
  • Options
    fences - ah, the good old days NOT
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I remember my old man dragging me up the east terrace when i was a little un at the towards the end of each game. Roasted peanuts !!!

I loved the old Valley had a lot of character.

Did anyone have the Derek Hales Killer white red sweater.
  • Options
    the south stand looks exactly the same!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]the south stand looks exactly the same!!

And for once WSS you are correct. It didn't become the Jimmy Seed Stand until 1981
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

And for once WSS you are correct. It didn't become the Jimmy Seed Stand until 1981

Didn't they have a naming ceremony (with his daughter?) and a short time later promptly allocate the stand to away fans? "Here you go chaps, the first serious bit of work on the ground in decades - but you're not allowed to sit there". Class.

Remind me, why is it that we went bust with thinking like that?
  • Options
    Off-it Not too sure many fans would have wanted to move from their beloved North Stand. And to use both stands as home support with Away fans on the East bank would have been a logistical nightmare.

Its 10.25 and a really fancy a scoop - sad or what?
  • Options

Does anyone remember just before the 'new' south stand opened the club put on a really impressive fireworks display for a midweek match way back then.
    Haven't a clue when it was or who we were playing but remember everyone booing when the fireworks were finished and the teams came out to play!
  • Options
    What a sh*thole it looks. Still home is where the heart is!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]Off-it Not too sure many fans would have wanted to move from their beloved North Stand. And to use both stands as home support with Away fans on the East bank would have been a logistical nightmare.

Its 10.25 and a really fancy a scoop - sad or what?

That's a fair point I suppose, but why not spend the money on "home" areas of the ground - like more than one trap for the East Terrace for starters!- and make the away fans stand out in the rain like every other bugger used to do. ho hum.

As for your "really fancy a scoop" comment - you must've read my mind. I've just emailed a couple of mates to try and sort something out for tonight. I can't remember the last time I had a sesh - must be a week or so at least.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]

Does anyone remember just before the 'new' south stand opened the club put on a really impressive fireworks display for a midweek match way back then.
    Haven't a clue when it was or who we were playing but remember everyone booing when the fireworks were finished and the teams came out to play!

Yes I do but I can't for the life of me remember who it was.
  • Options
    What year was the Jimmy Seed stand name put on the stand, 1997?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend_Or_Defoe[/cite]What year was the Jimmy Seed stand name put on the stand, 1997?

Around then. Got the club to have a re-naming ceromony with his grandson in about 95/96.